TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Volkswagen meal token? ...Seeking knowledge
magiceddie88 Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Curious if anyone has German roots, or knows if this was ever a token used at, for, or with VW? The logo matches that of VW on the front and the back translates from German to English to my understanding; “Community Board”

Does anyone know for sure? Vintage/year? Use? The logo seems to reflect that of the eariler years, the seller believed it was a sort of VW meal token...

Seeking knowledge :idea:

hazetguy Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:42 am

interesting.
gemeinschafts verpflegung translates (via google) to "Community meals" so perhaps it is a meal token for a factory worker?

magiceddie88 Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Any one on here happen to have a relitive who knows if Volkswagen gave out community meal tokens for there employees? Novel cool idea, looking for someone who knows more.

magiceddie88 Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:26 am

I finally got an answer from a German fella who had very good knowledge on this token, AND it is Volkswagen! Though uncommon not rare by his account.

Though personally I’ve never seen another like this on the market place these were common change for VW workers. See below if curious further!

“Community Board”

Hello, it's an old (around 1959-1966) VW canteen coin for coffee. Nothing special. These tokens were bought back by VW and destroyed, but there are still many of these tokens around. These are not a valuable coin but rather just a piece of VW history and the red color dots on the token come from scraping off the edge of the machines before you put the coin in.

As described by: K. Schubert from Wolfsburg, Germany

Many thanks to him for solving this mystery and many thanks to all those for your insight above as well regarding it, and its’ history. :wink:

magiceddie88 Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:11 pm

In the pursuit of more information regarding this token, I made a great connection, who has a great deal of information in regards of VWAG and it respective collections through the years.

More info in regards to it below:

“The late 50’s to early 60’s café token is in fact a very rare token from the community barracks – gemeinschaftslager where the forced laborers of various nationalities were housed. There is also Kantinengeld with denominations of which I am aware of one example. Try tho I might, I have been unable to get any examples. I had heard that a collector in Canada had a gemeinschaftslager token – you may have that one.”
-B. Rauskolb

“Few will have the greatness to bend history itself; but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total; of all those acts will be written the history of this generation.”
-Robert Kennedy