TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: left- or right-handed threads
Deutsch Sun May 02, 2004 11:01 pm

I need new tie-rod ends. I looked as CIP's website and have the option of right handed and left handed threads. Now, this is stupid, but I don't know which is which. I assume the conventional screws (the ones that get tighter when you turn clockwise) are called "right handed". Am I right?
Any suggestions on a source for good quality tie-rod ends?
Thanks

Glenn Mon May 03, 2004 3:16 am

Right Hand is normal.

Left Hand is a "reverse" thread.

jason_hamilton Mon May 03, 2004 10:50 am

The staff at CIP all drive VWs, so I'm sure they can advise you on the correct part.
I would suggest buying both left and right assemblies complete, including rods. The ends are pre-installed, so you won't have to worry about left- or right- thread, plus all the threads are clean and easy to adjust. I'd also suggest having a shop replace them. I normally never take my car to a shop, but I just had my tie rods done last Thursday, and I felt it made a lot more sense to have a professional do it in a couple of hours rather than me spend a whole weekend on it. They'll be able to do it quickly as well as being properly equipped to re-align the car (besides which, the mechanic is my father).
I also had my ball joints done at the same time, since the boots were torn (check yours) and I rationalized that if my tie rod ends were worn, my ball joints would be as well (they were). I'm also taking the car to the Treffen in CA this month and wanted the car properly prepared for the awesome Pacific Coast highway (fahrvergnugen!).
I didn't realize how worn these components were until they were all replaced (okay, well, I supected). I was charged for four hours labor to do this work, and the car handles great now.