TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet
FullFender Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Anyone use one? quality? On sale for 130 and is looking real tempting. I bought their solvent tank awhile back and while I dont alway use it, it sure is handy when I do

Glenn Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:12 pm

Can't see how you can go wrong. If you use it a few times, it paid for itself.

I assume you mean this one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-68893.html

Eastwoods is $370
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-abrasive-media-blast-cabinet.html

busdaddy Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Which one (link?), there's a few on their site.
Regardless for $130 you can't likely go too wrong, no matter what you end up with it'll need some small modifications to work exactly how you want it to, and it'll always be too small for some bigger parts.

The blast cabinet has to be the most used large tool in my shop, I couldn't do much without it, once you have the ability you'll clean some part of nearly everything you work on.

Erik G Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:38 pm

don't we have a harbor freight thread?

Dwayne1m Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:43 pm

I got one. Not sure which one you're looking at, but I have the bigger one that has legs, not the bench top model. I altered mine so that to put parts in I open the top instead of using the side door. I didn't use the cheap light that came with and put 2 flood lamps in it, and I made a bigger vent to allow the pressure to escape. I also made it so the media feed comes off the bottom, not the pipe just sticking into the media that comes with it, and I lowered the floor in it so I can get bigger parts in. There are numerous videos on YouTube on how to modify these.

skills@eurocarsplus Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:22 pm

busdaddy wrote:
The blast cabinet has to be the most used large tool in my shop, I couldn't do much without it, once you have the ability you'll clean some part of nearly everything you work on.

X2

I will say this...I have a hand me down blaster...probably a bit better than the HF unit. if you go for it, SEAL EVERY JOINT with a sealer of your choice. I used 3M panel bond.

I also use a shop vac to suck out the dust. as pointed out...no matter what you buy...it will never be big enough :lol:

vwracerdave Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:33 pm

I have one. Use it maybe 6-7 times a year. You will want to put a larger flood light inside so you can see better. I also run my shop vac hooked up to remove the dust as I blast. It's big enough to blast a VW header and all the engine sheet metal. Make sure you use the replacable plastic film to cover the inside of the window.

TDCTDI Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:53 pm

Get one or two of these to keep the dust from clogging your shop vac filters.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/wet-...gJEQvD_BwE

But yes, there is a hf blast cabinet thread.

nsracing Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:47 am

too small for me. I got me a huge Empire one - massive steel weighs about 500 lbs. with reclaimer filter. :D

I sold my full size Eastwood to my friend w/ a VW shop and he loves it.

There is always something to beadblast when it comes to VWs. If you are engine building or restoring a car, you can bet you will need one.

A parts washer is needed also to go along with a blaster. Something to think about.

Erik G Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:21 am

nsracing wrote: too small for me. I got me a huge Empire one - massive steel weighs about 500 lbs. with reclaimer filter. :D

I sold my full size Eastwood to my friend w/ a VW shop and he loves it.

There is always something to beadblast when it comes to VWs. If you are engine building or restoring a car, you can bet you will need one.

A parts washer is needed also to go along with a blaster. Something to think about.

you must have a huge truck

nsracing Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:25 am

Wont fit in the Ford 350 Dually, had to use a trailer. :lol:

Max Welton Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:27 am

Glenn wrote: Can't see how you can go wrong. If you use it a few times, it paid for itself.

https://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-68893.html I have this one. Great for small parts. Marginal for type-3 heat exchangers.

busdaddy Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:55 am

Max Welton wrote: Glenn wrote: Can't see how you can go wrong. If you use it a few times, it paid for itself.

https://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-68893.html I have this one. Great for small parts. Marginal for type-3 heat exchangers.
Yes, just because it'll fit in the cabinet doesn't mean you can reach the ends and see what's going on, the cabinet should be twice the length of what you are working on at least.

FullFender Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:03 pm

thanks all for the feedback. the biggest thing I will put in there will likely be a header so it should be a good size and not take up so much room in the shop. Although I am planning to sell a car soon which opens up even more space :lol: :D I wonder how an LED light strip on each end would work? the flying sand may not take to kindly to the little lights though. mods if you see fit feel free to lock this one down and I'll refer to the harbor freight thread from now on

busdaddy Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:33 pm

I've been eyeing LED's for the dark areas in my cabinet as well, maybe glue a little glass over them to prolong their life?, either way they are rather cheap so if you have to swap them out every ~10-20 hours blast time it's not a big deal. I'm thinking a ring surrounding the window inside since that's where I'm looking from, maybe a few down in front of my belly as well.

Count on poorly cleaned areas on the extreme outer edges of that header, once you get it in there you'll find out why a cabinet is never really as big as you'd like it to be. I'm not saying it won't work, but the outer extremities will be a PITA to get as clean as the parts in the middle you can see easily, spend extra time on them.

nsracing Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:09 am

If the dust recovery is weak, you can have 10 floodlights in there and you wont be able to see what you are blasting.

The key is a good recovery. My Empire has this huge snail electric pump...kind of like the ones used for drying floors but flatter.

And the reclaimer is the size of most people's blasters.