TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Log cabin renno
windfish Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:51 am

A while back I posted about an old log cabin I bought and was debating what to do with.. well I ended up spending two years worth of weekends restoring it.
I put together a progress album, figured some might find it interesting -
https://imgur.com/a/rl1hB

A few before/after pictures -
Exterior:

LivingRoom

Kitchen

Bathroom

Not quite done yet, still have some trim to do and misc. cleanup, probably take another year for it to be 'done', but it's livable now.

TDCTDI Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:14 pm

It looks great!

The bathroom really needed this treatment though...

windfish Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Ha. I actually kinda like that 'distressed' cabinet
The corrugated tin shower stall.. to each 'is own

Cheers.

PD41 Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:37 pm

What happened to the chimney ?

TDCTDI Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 pm

PD41 wrote: What happened to the chimney ?
HVAC

windfish Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Insurance co. requested that I redo the mortar in the above-roof stack as it was crumbling.
I didn't see any point in redoing it since I'll never use the cabin's fireplace (original 100 y/o bricks and crumbly mortar, no thanks).
The above-roof stack came apart by tapping it with a hammer, super brittle.

I kept the fireplace inside 'cause it's neat and it's a nice divider between kitchen and living room; might get an electric insert or something.

Letterman7 Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Or drop in a wood stove and chimney liner. I like the open layout conversion - very nice!

crukab Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:45 pm

Letterman7 wrote: Or drop in a wood stove and chimney liner.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nothing like having heat when the power goes out.
Some of my neighbors were w/out power for 3-4 days last week due to a hard snow storm.

Your place looks great !! Keep the pics coming.

Dwayne1m Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:20 pm

TDCTDI wrote: It looks great!

That sprinkler can for a shower head is fantastic!

Dwayne1m Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:21 pm

TDCTDI wrote: It looks great!

Is that patina???? :shock:

TDCTDI Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 pm

I didn't get a full shot of it but the toilet paper holder was a repurposed pipe fittings complete with the pressure gauge.

kingkarmann Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:01 pm

Very nice! 8)

my59 Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:32 am

That is a great job, nice details.

calvinater Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:05 pm

Did you corn blast and rechink the outside?

Zundfolge1432 Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:42 pm

Beautiful looking and not a criticism but a heads up for someone reading this in the future. One of the biggest concern of log cabin is termites.

windfish Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:57 pm

Hah, wow; two year old thread bump.
Thanks guys, still really happy with my small cabin.

I used log-cabin rated StripIt to remove most of the paint off the exterior logs and a pressure washer to gently remove the StripIt, then went over it with orbital sanders. Chinking is original except for one side of the main cabin that I redid, it's otherwise serviceable (and likely original).

Had a bug guy come out, he found two minor spots that termites had gotten in the past but no active infestation. Perimeter has been sprayed but they wouldn't warranty it due to all the wood close to the ground (fair enough).
I still need to stain the logs, protects them and is way better than paint. I'll put a coat of borate as an underlayer, and probably pay the termite guy to spray the crawlspace with borate too.
For an old log cabin with questionable past care it has relatively little bug damage.

calvinater Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:15 am

No wonder the engine build is still ongoing, you' ve spent alot of time on the cabin. Looks great, new primary residence ? All you need is a thirty by fourty barn.

windfish Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:16 am

^ Two year old thread, the bug broke down three months after I moved in :)

That said, house projects are still taking up a good percent of my weekends; most recently the two acre perimeter fence that took a lot longer than I'd have guessed.. so many fence posts.

Actually have an old 15x30 barn, needs some work but keeps the tractor dry; fixing it up is on the to-do list for next year.