TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: TV Custom show: Full Custom w/ Ian Rousell - bodywork horror??
2type2 Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:32 am

I've taken interest in watching this and other customizing shows but I have strong doubts about the bodywork. While the builder can obviously chop , form and weld any shapes or contour,A it appears there is plenty of welded seams as well as overlapped seams.Then it's made pretty with a Complete "mud-over" and countless hours of block sanding. So my point is --- unless this creation is kept garaged,dry and out of salt air--- doesn't it just rust from within? I'm thinking about3-4 years before ruination ensues! Seems like it's common practice in these radically modified cars.

sixfootdan Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:31 am

I saw an episode he did with a cool '63 ish ford van. After the paint was completed you could still see all the crusty rubber door seals still installed. I not by any means a expert at bodywork but that is a no brainer. IMO

TDCTDI Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:18 am

Full customs always got a fair amount of filler to cover the flaws. Old builders used lead filler instead of Bondo, thus the term "Lead sled".

I really liked the episode where the Discovery channel (I think) got all of the old Kustoms greats (George Barris, Bill Hines(leadslinger) & several others.)together to build a car that they chopped & sectioned.

hitest Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:17 am

Ever since the early days of "American Hotrod" (Boyd C. - RIP) I have felt these guys all build cars for the upcoming show or auction- not for another 50 years of survival.

anthracitedub Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:16 pm

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the overlapping and packing mud on panels... but on the other hand, he just gets the shit done and on to the next... it’s just TV and they’re just toys for people to enjoy. I liked the little bus hot rod that he built.... plenty of empty voids of unprotected steel in that roof, but it looked cool.

Onceler Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:20 pm

I’m watching a couple of these episodes now, I kinda enjoy them. It doesn’t follow the typical flamboyant recipe, and just shows this guy in action.
And the project vehicles are usually pretty oddball stuff

TDCTDI Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:37 pm

I just caught one of the episodes, it was a lot of fun to watch, it’s nice to see a series that shows how the builds are done without the soap opera shit that seems to be the typical recipe.

Busstom Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:11 pm

TDCTDI wrote: I just caught one of the episodes, it was a lot of fun to watch, it’s nice to see a series that shows how the builds are done without the soap opera shit that seems to be the typical recipe.
Agreed! In spite of any perceived bodywork shortcuts or shortcomings, I think they're the exception with this guy, and probably intentional. This is the only show I know of without any made-up drama, phoney deadlines and parts shortages, and absurd shop shenanigans. And while it wasn't my taste, I enjoyed the episodes where he basically handbuilt from scratch the Porsche-based car for that repeat customer of his. Ian is one of the few respectable builders in this era of soap opera TV show builders. One of the others was that dude (David) out of Canada who runs The Guild of Automotive Restorers, that magnesium-bodied handbuilt Bugatti was mind-blowing. Unfortunately the producers got the best of him and started dramatizing his show too. 8)

TDCTDI Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:00 am

The “cartoon car” episode was fun to watch as he turned a hacked bay window bus into one of the “chopper Ollie” style hotrods & brought it to life using an illustration by “Johnny Jalopy”.
https://vimeo.com/126546235

OB Bus Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:19 am

I have zero interest in custom cars but I do like watching skilled craftspeople do jobs that I could never do.

nsracing Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:10 am

It is for show is all. The paint is the eye-candy to distract you from the flaws.

Who knows the integrity of the welds once everything is filled in. Anything that is rushed to only a day dedicated to it would you want to ride in it?

Not saying it will not be road-worthy. But it is for show. HOpefully nobody will be dead in it after a wreck.

slave1pilot Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 am

TDCTDI wrote: Full customs always got a fair amount of filler to cover the flaws. Old builders used lead filler instead of Bondo, thus the term "Lead sled".

speaking of old builders using lead,
Did you guys see this vid with the Legend Gene Winfield?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87fuTnBS2bE