TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Eurovan auto to manual transaxle conversions Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
gtainc Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:08 pm

German Transaxle has just found a quality source for converting early 92-96 and later 97-04 Eurovans from automatic to manual. For those with the early 5cyl. motors and failed or failing auto's, this is the best option to keep your van on the road. Since we discontinued building the pre 97, we have been trying to source an option to convert these. Pricing is still to come as we work with our supplier on quantity options. Feel free to give us a call for more info and options. Would love to see how much interest there is, as this could help us in our purchasing power.[/b]

JFBx Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:27 pm

I am seriously interested in a 5 (or 6?) speed manual conversion when my 2002 weekender's AT takes a dump (170K now).

Thanks for putting the word out.

--jb

gtainc Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:58 pm

At this point that's exactly what we're doing, just getting the word out so that people know that they have some different options.

Zeitgeist 13 Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:28 pm

To be clear, this T4 manual transmission case would bolt up to a VR6 engine? I've heard these exist, but have never seen one.

Joshwa Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:05 am

It’s an 02g/AFL that bolts onto the the VR6. The ECU will need an adjustment as well. I know of a kit that comes directly from Belgium, but a kit already in the US will be more desirable.

VAEV1993 Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:30 am

Just adding a comment to say thanks for looking into this. Exciting to hear. This is certainly the plan for our van once the time comes.

YOGIVW Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:56 am

Joshwa wrote: It’s an 02g/AFL that bolts onto the the VR6. The ECU will need an adjustment as well.

Mine 2001 VR6 24V has manual transmission from early 140PSm VR6 it drives and shifts fine but it is more than "ECU adjustment". Right now ABS and ESP are deactivated because ECU dosen't see TCU and changing codes doesen't help. On disels it is simply job but not on late VR6 204PS. So probably kit offered by German Transaxle is only for 96-98 140PS Eurovans which were never fitted with ESP.

IdeaNerd Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:59 pm

@gtainc nice to see you posting here directly.

I can imaging being interested in this for one of our vans at some point down the road.

Related question for @gtainc or anyone else: I'm not clear on all the T4 engine / transaxle combinations (worldwide) by year, but I'm curious: would this manual transmission option open the door to possible Syncro conversion for the 01-03 models? i.e. similar to what I've seen done w/earlier-year TDI engines having a manual transmission (such as @wildenbeast's well-known example here).

Joshwa Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:59 pm

Any T4 can facilitate a 4/5 cyl syncro transmission. At that point, you are bound to 4/5 cyl gas or diesel (na/td/tdi) that will mount. I haven’t heard of a 6cyl syncro transmission. If it did exist, seems it would be even rarer than the regular manual 6cyl transmission.

T4 manual transmissions
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=90788&highlight=Manual+gearbox

pwcgecko Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:38 pm

i would be interested in the future as well. 2002 Eurovan at 112k.

gtainc Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:18 am

So these are all European models available basically everywhere but the US. We will have 5 speeds for the 92-96 5 cyl gas/4 cyl diesels and 5 speeds for the 97-04 VR6 models. These will be sold as a (kit) meaning all necessary good used parts to convert to a manual. Shifter & linkage, clutch pedal, flywheel, slave and master cyl's and of course the transaxle. The details are still being worked out and those parts that do not come with it or should be purchased new (i.e. clutch ect..)we will provide new parts or a parts list for the buyer to source. As we are still working on this, if anyone is interested please feel free to give us a call. I will update this post as we go forward and have all the details on our website once its dialed in. Thanks

gtainc Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:23 am

Quick note, we are doing this because we know there is a demand/interest for these products. The 98-04 automatics are still being built and sold without fear of becoming obsolete. So don't think you have to swap these models its just an option for those that want to.

bikes! Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 pm

gtainc wrote: So these are all European models available basically everywhere but the US. We will have 5 speeds for the 92-96 5 cyl gas/4 cyl diesels and 6 speeds for the 97-04 VR6 models. These will be sold as a (kit) meaning all necessary good used parts to convert to a manual. Shifter & linkage, clutch pedal, flywheel, slave and master cyl's and of course the transaxle. The details are still being worked out and those parts that do not come with it or should be purchased new (i.e. clutch ect..)we will provide new parts or a parts list for the buyer to source. As we are still working on this, if anyone is interested please feel free to give us a call. I will update this post as we go forward and have all the details on our website once its dialed in. Thanks

Thanks for arranging this, I'm sure there are a few of us here, and on VWVortex, who will be willing guinea pigs. :D

A few questions:
Will the VR6 kit use the same driveshafts as the 4 speed automatic? If not, are those items which you'll provide the appropriate part numbers for or include in the kit?
Does the kit allow the ABS and ESP to remain fully functional?

gtainc Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:25 am

At this point there seems to be some disputing info on which axles fit what. That will all be part of putting this all into (kit) form. Ive been speaking with several different Eurovan aficionado's and have yet to see where ESP or ABS will be effected. Once we get a test rig converted and tested we will know more. Signs point to everything working thou.

bikes! Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:00 pm

Information in this thread: https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?6604-2...ing-Issues is what prompted me to ask about the ABS and ESP systems.

gtainc Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:23 am

We have seen that of the few conversions that have been done some seem to have that issue and some don't. What all the factors are that seem to create that issue seem to be still unknown. With the help of a few other shops I believe we can come up with a work around. Once again this won't be a quick thing but we are going to do our best and time will tell how hard or easy it might be.

bikes! Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks for the reply! It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Xtremjeepn Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:40 am

:wink:

gtainc Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:11 am

Yup, already been in touch. Cole is happy to be a fellow guinea pig.

E_Swift Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:50 am

Just across the cascades from you...

Have 3 T4 westies (a 93, a 99, and an 01) all ready and waiting for a cost effective conversion...