TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Different Deck Heights Page: 1, 2  Next
i_luv_my_bus76 Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:05 pm

I just checked the deck height on all 4 cylinders

1& 2 are .035
3&4 are .039

I can live with .039 but I'm a little concerned with the .035

Should I be concerned or has anyone else ran the deck that close

mcmscott Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:12 pm

Trim 1-2 then rebalance

i_luv_my_bus76 Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:19 pm

mcmscott wrote: Trim 1-2 then rebalance

If I trim 1&2 won't that bring the deck closer?

Vanillagurilla Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:23 pm

Lol yeah you can trim the other side or shim up the close side.

Pruneman99 Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:27 pm

I think he was taking about the pistons. Bit that seems like a lot of work unless this is a race engine.

Just shim them out where you feel comfortable. Maybe .01?

Howard 111 Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:27 pm

Put an .004 cylinder shim under 1&2.

i_luv_my_bus76 Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:34 pm

Howard 111 wrote: Put an .004 cylinder shim under 1&2.

The thinnest shim I can find is .01, is there a place that makes custom shims

If I shim them both at .01 it will throw my compression ratio off

i_luv_my_bus76 Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:36 pm

Pruneman99 wrote: I think he was taking about the pistons. Bit that seems like a lot of work unless this is a race engine.

Just shim them out where you feel comfortable. Maybe .01?

It's an engine for my daily driver

I'm building a 1955cc

If I shim both sides I will knock my compression ratio off...I'm shooting for 9:1...with .039 I'm right there

rugblaster Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:52 pm

how thick is a paper gasket?

i_luv_my_bus76 Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:59 pm

rugblaster wrote: how thick is a paper gasket?

Good question, never thought of that! I'll measure when I get home!

I've always tossed those things aside...i probably have 50 of them sitting around somewhere in a box since i never throw anything away

FreeBug Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:05 am

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote: rugblaster wrote: how thick is a paper gasket?

Good question, never thought of that! I'll measure when I get home!

I've always tossed those things aside...i probably have 50 of them sitting around somewhere in a box since i never throw anything away

Genius!

But if that doesn't work, I would turn down the cylinders quite a bit, so you can use thicker shims. If you get a full set, no two really match, so you mix & match until you get the deck you want.

Alstrup Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:55 am

FreeBug wrote: i_luv_my_bus76 wrote: rugblaster wrote: how thick is a paper gasket?

Good question, never thought of that! I'll measure when I get home!

I've always tossed those things aside...i probably have 50 of them sitting around somewhere in a box since i never throw anything away

Genius!

But if that doesn't work, I would turn down the cylinders quite a bit, so you can use thicker shims. If you get a full set, no two really match, so you mix & match until you get the deck you want.
Never use papewr gaskets! Even copper gaskets are dubius.
In your case either trim 2 pistons and rebalance, or machine the cylkinders to accomodate a 0,5 mm shim or similar would be the way.

T

rodeking Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:44 am

I had the same problem, cut the pistons and re-balanced. I checked the gaskets I had, they were .005 before I threw them in the trash.

volksworld Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:05 am

paper gaskets are just one more thing to go wrong....have you cc'd the heads? cause if they're not new and have been flycut before one side could have larger chambers than the other....then you may be able to put a .010 under all 4....i personally wouldnt run 9 to 1 on the street but its your car....

i_luv_my_bus76 Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:39 am

volksworld wrote: paper gaskets are just one more thing to go wrong....have you cc'd the heads? cause if they're not new and have been flycut before one side could have larger chambers than the other....then you may be able to put a .010 under all 4....i personally wouldnt run 9 to 1 on the street but its your car....

The heads are new...dual port big valve, single high rev springs, cc'd to 55.

Why wouldn't you run 9 to 1? What compression is the highest compression you feel comfortable running on the street?

esde Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:43 am

If it's balanced already, trim the cylinders and get shims to sort it. If it's not balanced, trimming the pistons would be my choice.
No need to make more work if you don't need to

vwracerdave Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:13 am

I don't have a machine shop in my garage, I have to pay to have it done.

The best solution would be trim .004" off 1&2 pistons then rebalance all 4. That would give you .039" deck height across all 4 cylinders.

If it were my engine I would put a .010" shim under the barrels and build it. Worrying about 8.9 or 9.0 compression won't make a bit of difference on a street engine and is just plain being anal.

mark tucker Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:22 pm

eazy put them all at .035, mine are .034 seems to work just fine.

rugblaster Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:37 pm

I am old enough to have had the opportunity to have repaired original VW air-cooled engines from the factory. (virgin engines, if you will) They all had paper gaskets on the cylinders. I also remember using a single edge razor blade to physically remove the paper gaskets. They were stuck pretty good. Paper gaskets are still used in some instances, not just VW cylinders. It is just easier to slop some RTV on the cylinder base and slap in on. You actually have to pay attention when using the paper and that is difficult for some people
to grasp. In certain circumstances, paper would be a viable choice.
Also, with larger cylinders, the paper gaskets choice is mute anyway.

i_luv_my_bus76 Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:14 am

vwracerdave wrote: I don't have a machine shop in my garage, I have to pay to have it done.

The best solution would be trim .004" off 1&2 pistons then rebalance all 4. That would give you .039" deck height across all 4 cylinders.

If it were my engine I would put a .010" shim under the barrels and build it. Worrying about 8.9 or 9.0 compression won't make a bit of difference on a street engine and is just plain being anal.

Can I get some clarification...if it were your engine would you trim then shim with a .010...or just shim with a .010



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group