TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: has anyone played with making the window frames??
sharkskinman Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:24 pm

they seem simple trapezoids
thin and seemed from the Inside of the frame

I have 2 sets but 2 of them that are straight are rusted
and the nonrusted ones are bent

thinking also of using a board and some weight to maybe straighten them

but I'm thinking how hard it would be to make the
them And even reusing the materiel around the. by opening them and taking the frames Out

Captain Spalding Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:35 am

That's an interesting idea. It's a question of how close you want the finished product to be, and the level of quality you desire. If it's just a matter of getting close, you could get some steel stock and cut and grind it to size. Bend the zig-zags at the base near the tabs in a vise, and weld it all up.

But to do it right, all the edges would need to be rounded on a mill, and the zig-zags would need to be stamped in a press. And if you're going to go to all that work you should probably have everything zinc plated. And make some extra sets to sell, to help defray your costs.

[email protected] Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:18 am

I have plenty of bare frames if your interested email me
I also have a original vw jig to make them

emersonbiggins Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:16 am

Make some with the rear popout option or the front vent window option.

av8shunmeckaneck Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:07 am

I am in the same boat Shark.

One of my sets is complete with vinyl and plexiglass windows RTV'ed in place but the vinyl is in pretty bad shape. The other set had some of the vinyl and no windows. I removed all of the vinyl from the set without glass and the frames are okay but pretty rusty. I am going to use these frames as a template to make new ones. Not to hijack your thread, I will start my own and layout some of the process. I am pretty bad at remembering to pictures while doing a project but I will try my best.