TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dvd region codes
calvinater Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:55 pm

Anyone know why my BBC dvd now gives me a region code cannot play when ive watched it four times already? Is there a way to defeat this?

Volks Wagen Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:45 pm

calvinater wrote: Anyone know why my BBC dvd now gives me a region code cannot play when ive watched it four times already? Is there a way to defeat this?

Are you using the same dvd player each time? And if so what is it? I assume your BBC dvd is region 2 and u are region 1 (USA, Canada)

calvinater Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:12 pm

Yes east side of north america, using same dell laptop each time, purchased dvd christmas 2017. Just wierd that i could view it four times , but now it tells me my region is wrong. Allows Uk/ Europe , or australia/ japan. Why do they do this? They got my money .

Cusser Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:29 pm

Maybe the disc defected to USA.

hitest Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:20 pm

I'm still confused- are you new to the US? I'm assuming you're not with these ideas:

Try loading it another way in your laptop. If I recall (it's been 15 years for me) various region-encoded discs have for lack of a better term a "flag" that allows players to read them at start up. That flagged info is used for a player to immediately check to see if all your copyright info is in order before it will allow the submenu to load. Perhaps your laptop went through an update that now takes a fresh look at this info- and it's time of reading anything you feed it is up? Try another region 2 dvd to makes sure.

I think if you start the software 1st, then load the disc it might zip through to the submenu faster? Change up the loading routine and try new ways. Again, it's just a theory- but tricking older Marantz dvd players with similar issues was something we only learned by trial and lots of error. We taught folks to hold the play button down when closing the disc drawer. Just a thought.

calvinater Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:50 am

When David Attenborough would not play (the BBC disc) , i popped in an old copy of Mad,Mad, Mad , World. Worked just fine. Live in Vermont for what thats worth.

Volks Wagen Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:28 pm

calvinater wrote: Yes east side of north america, using same dell laptop each time, purchased dvd christmas 2017. Just wierd that i could view it four times , but now it tells me my region is wrong. Allows Uk/ Europe , or australia/ japan. Why do they do this? They got my money .

U can change the region about 4 or 5 times then it remains put. There's some dodgy ways to get around it, or u could try ripping the dvd to disk to play it without the dvd drive. The best and safest way is to get an external usb region 2 DVD player, and use it for region 2 dvds ONLY - remember 5 changes of region and it's locked to the last region.