TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: ‘61 Ruby red ragtop sunroof color? Page: 1, 2  Next
vintagevwnut Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:37 am

Just getting back to VW’s and bought a ‘61 original patina paint bug. I’ve looked everywhere I know to look to try and find what the original sunroof cover color would be. Can anyone tell me the color / color options they would have had? I figured out the interior colors as close as possible and have that on its way already. I already went on Wolfsburg West and they don’t have much for color options for that year / color bug.

Thanks for your help.

vintagevwnut Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:45 am

So right after posting I thought hmmm maybe other years with Ruby red would’ve been the same. Looked at ‘62-63 and it’s Ruby red. If ‘61 was the same (I’d figure so) where would one procure a Ruby red sunroof cover?

EverettB Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:33 am

Yes, it should match so it should be Ruby Red.

Wolfsburg West sells a red sunroof cover but I don't know if it's the right color cover.

In the past people got the correct colors covers and interior stuff from Lenny at
http://www.classicvws.com/
I don't know if they are still available from him?
Someone else will need to answer that.
Or contact them...

I couldn't find a good picture of a Red Ragtop cover but here's one photo I found

(May not be a '61)

vintagevwnut Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:37 am

EverettB wrote: Yes, it should match so it should be Ruby Red.

Wolfsburg West sells a red sunroof cover but I don't know if it's the right color cover.

In the past people got the correct colors covers and interior stuff from Lenny at
http://www.classicvws.com/
I don't know if they are still available from him?
Someone else will need to answer that.
Or contact them...

I couldn't find a good picture of a Red Ragtop cover but here's one photo I found

(May not be a '61)

Thanks I’ll give them a call. Much appreciated

glutamodo Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:45 am

I don't think anyone makes sunroof covers that are like exact matches for the factory colors. But then again, even though they were supposed to match when new I wonder how close they really were.

To expand on that, I have a Pearl White 62. The car had a black vinyl top when I got it, I changed it to canvas soon after, black was the only color you could get then (circa 1990). Later I switched to a tan canvas top, and later to a Sewfine off-white canvas top. That last one is the closest to the body color I've had. (but it's much darker when it is wet)

But looking at this 1963 ad with a Pearl White Sunroof Beetle in it, the match doesn't look that close.

But when my Sewfine off-white canvas top is clean and dry I'm pretty happy about the color match:

vintagevwnut Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:53 am

Yeah I don’t mind if it’s off at a bit, interior is TMI off white and grey (as close to factory as possible). I see WW has maroon, I’d have to see a swatch in person of that.

glutamodo Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:19 am

It's kind of funny, because when my top is wet and dusty, it looks rather like that old magazine ad above!

Either way, I like a whole lot better than it was with a black top.

Even the tan canvas top was an improvement (which was from WW, but didn't come close to fitting until I reworked it considerably) At least when it was tan, it matched the running boards. Then the stitching started to unravel...

But for me, this was best:

rcooled Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:45 pm

EverettB wrote:
In the past people got the correct colors covers and interior stuff from Lenny at: http://www.classicvws.com/
I don't know if they are still available from him? Someone else will need to answer that.
When I was looking a few years ago, WCCR was the only place that had vinyl sunroof covers that matched my car's Ruby Red paint, so I ordered one but was very disappointed with the fit. I had to trim it quite a bit to remove overlapping material and there were no holes punched for the studs in the rear hold-down, or any slits added along the sides for the bows. It was also so tight that a seam split when I was fitting it over the front header. I think that these are made with pro installers in mind, not for DIY types like me. I wound up just throwing it away and ordering a canvas cover in black from Sewfine. Both the quality and fit of their cover were excellent.

hitest Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:00 pm

A local upholsterer, Fine Auto Trim in Boise, installed a ruby red vinyl cover from WCCR several years ago on a friend's '63. It was beautiful.

I recently gave up my international search for a proper gray pinpoint vinyl ragtop cover for my '62. I settled for a black cover from WW- that just arrived Thursday. It looks very good but I shall forever hate myself for "settling" on black.

glutamodo Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:03 pm

Settled for Black.... Oh! The Horror!

(hah, not that I had not admitted to succumbing to such above!)

Now, since I'm a firm believer in canvas sunroof tops, I never really look at what is available in the vinyl world.

EverettB Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:36 pm

glutamodo wrote: I don't think anyone makes sunroof covers that are like exact matches for the factory colors. But then again, even though they were supposed to match when new I wonder how close they really were.
I agree they were not perfect matches in all (any?) cases.
I think some colors were closer than others too.

Maybe a case of matching vinyl to actual paint in some cases?

hitest Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:17 pm

You're right Everett- taking gulf blue as an example- it was very close. Turkis is intentionally darker. I now face the same disappointment with my gulf blue convertible- no matching blue available in either vinyl or canvas. And to think, back when I collected these cars- I could still get those matching covers/tops and just never worried about future supplies.

Sharp64 Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:02 am

I think you should just eliminate the issue and let me take the 61 off your hands. Problem solved. :lol:

sunroofmike Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:32 pm

I'm a little bit late on this post, but here's my '63 Ruby Red bug. When I was restoring this car in the late '80s-early'90s, I was going to use a NOS black sunroof cover, but then found a NOS Ruby Red cover and glad I did. It's correct and looks great. Here we are in 2020 and due to using vinyl conditioner twice a year, the cover is still in excellent shape.

hitest Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:57 pm

Great first post- beautiful car sir.

rcooled Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:01 pm

sunroofmike wrote: ...but then found a NOS Ruby Red cover...
Where?

Great looking car BTW...

sunroofmike Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:57 pm

It was a long time ago that I found it -88 or 89 probably- when there were still a lot of NOS parts around. A friend bought a ton of stuff from an old guy who was getting out of the vintage VW business, I went with him to help load the stash into his truck and as payment I got a few goodies, the sunroof cover included. VW dealers used to sell their entire inventory of air-cooled stuff for pennies on the dollar, just to get rid of it. Unfortunately, those days seem to be over - NOS parts are getting harder and harder to find. I've been looking for a "printed dot" headliner kit for my bug for some time. No cigar.

squareweave Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:11 am

vintagevwnut Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:46 am

squareweave wrote:

Awesome pic. Thanks for sharing.

nax Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:13 am

Hi all!

I looking for a canvas ruby red cover for my 63 ragtop.

Does anyone know if any current company would be able to manufacture it? I cant find it :(