TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
MARTIN WADE Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:33 pm

Here is the start of our thread to show the Vw world T3s can touch the very best.[i

MARTIN WADE Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:44 pm

I have owned 'Uno Momento' for 25 years. The car came from Palo Alto to the U.K.

I have collected original EMPI parts for the same time and these will come out of their boxes, and onto the car !

The car was 98% rust free. She will be a 70''s Cal Look restored by myself and the Wooton Motors brothers. She will put T3 onto the map, trust me.

MARTIN WADE Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:56 pm

You can't build a car like this without contacts and professionals, those days are gone!
On the other hand I never wanted to just hand it over to a professional shop., and wanted to have as much input as possible. I will try to post every few days for all those who love T3''s .

Clatter Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:59 pm

Well awlrght, then!
Let's see what you got here! :D

ShowMeWhatYerWorkinWith..!

Bobnotch Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:42 am

Clatter wrote: Well awlrght, then!
Let's see what you got here! :D

ShowMeWhatYerWorkinWith..!

Yup, more pics please. We love pics.
And while I love building drivers, there's nothing wrong with building a show car (like Steve is building).
What are you planning to separate yours from the others? Or are you just planning to detail the hell out of it?

MARTIN WADE Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:39 pm

Detail yes, but it will have a lot of very subtle changes. I'll post them over the next few weeks.

MARTIN WADE Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:44 pm

MARTIN WADE Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Gaz Wooton welded up the trim holes for the hood, doors, and wings.

Mike Fisher Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Old pics of it complete in Palo Alto.

MARTIN WADE Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:16 pm

Sadly there are no old photos. The car was bought over in 1991. I drove it for two summers in the dry then stored it in a dry hay barn. I began collecting vintage speed parts and Nos from the swop meets. In those days the parts were cheap. In the middle years I built a house then five years ago I decided to build it. When I went to the swop meets it was crazy, the parts I got for nothing were the rarest of the rare, but to complete the last bits was a fortune !

MARTIN WADE Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:09 pm

MARTIN WADE Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:13 pm

The engine is 1835 cc. New block crank heads pistons etc. Built by Jay, at Jay''s speed shop Brighton U.K. Jay has built a lot of drag race engines and was great in deciding the engine and building it.

MARTIN WADE Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:55 pm

The car uses original empi 8 spoke split rims.
The calipers are Porsche Brembo with the much larger discs, and dropped spindles, together with a pair of air shocks for the front only.

The design was to keep the car simple in style, no complex air ride.

To fit the calipers a narrowed beam was needed, then billet hubs made. The narrowed beam simply compensates for the offset and the wheels run only 1/2 " narrower when it is all bolted up.

A T3 original beam runs very low so just using one with dropped spindles means your beam can bottom out on speed bumps or poor roads.

MARTIN WADE Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:05 pm

The picture shows the Empi 8 spokes and the porsche calipers. The wheel nuts were CNC machined with the correct shoulder for the wheels then chrome plated at Derby plating in the U.K.

MARTIN WADE Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Front tyres are 145 x 15 XzX's

MARTIN WADE Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:40 am

Thesee are the vintage Berg t3 carbs mounted to check they fit under the rear deck...they do thank goodness.

Mike Fisher Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:06 pm

Forget about air shocks in the front as it will ride extra hard!
Stock oil shocks or no shocks is how we ride.
145's lose a lot of skid/wind/cornering stability.
I'm on 5.5X15 2.0 liter Porsche Fuchs w/185X60 & 205X70 on my lowered square.

MARTIN WADE Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Yes I agree the shocks will be hard but the car will be shown, and then only driven a bit on the street, so thanks.

I do drive my other car on the street. This is my other 'Babe'

MARTIN WADE Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:47 pm

The fuel tank is replaced with a n.o.s moon tank from around '65. The tank was for a dragster and is large capacity. It also allows the detailed front beam to be seen from above.

We have built an aluminium support which bolts to the inner wings.

MARTIN WADE Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:04 pm

A lot of t3''s have a reduced turning circle with a narrowed beam. The tyres can scrub the inner wings. To overcome the problem we have heated the inner wings and carfully hammered them back keeping a curve. It takes about 3 hours per side.