TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Restoration thread: my 60 strato blue coupe Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Braukuche Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:45 pm

c21darrel wrote: I thought spade connectors started later 62ish, wrong again. :cry: . 1960 last year for screw connectors. Well, said we were going to learn on this one :)

They changed mid year. Late 60 VWs have spade terminals.

Rome Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:04 pm

Sacre bleu- so much rust! You are doing really well with the repairs, and the documentation. Am looking forward to your rust repairs on the body.

By a huge coincidence I also "owned" a '60 Ghia coupe in the same color combination as yours. This was back in 1973, when a local innkeeper in the state of Connecticut offered the car to me for FREE because he was going to tow it to the local junkyard. Here's a shot where my dad's 3 office colleagues and me (in the middle- I was 14) towed it home via local roads. But we soon had a reality check; the body was too rusty to save, and dad had no welding skills. So we removed the engine which was a stale-air 40hp (34 PS) 1200 and was in good condition. Next year we towed it to the junkyard anyway. Unfortunately I have no idea what the chassis# was.

10 years later I bought a 1964 Ghia Cabrio which had a lot of rust around the headlights. I bought some aftermarket headlight repair panels, and brazed (German: hartgeloetet) them in. A year later I found an NOS headlamp surround panel just like you bought. I remember that back then, the price at the swap meet was "only" $85. Since I did not want to tear out my "proudly installed" panel, I passed on the NOS panel. Prices have probably tripled in the meantime.

vanagonswede Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:18 pm

I will follow this since i also got a 60.

First question, i noticed your badge on your fender. No batear, it's the newer badge.
Do somebody know when they changed?
My chassienumber starts with 260. A friend of me has a batearbadge on his 60.

Good job on this car. Looking forward to see the rest.

Rome Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:49 am

vanagonswede, look here, in 1960. Emblem change is "approx. in the summer of 1960". Note that the years listed are calendar years, common practice in Europe. The US market usually goes by model years which for Ghias, means the changeover occurred in August. https://www.vwoldtimerfreunde-kl.de/was-anders-wurde-karmann-ghia/

KGCoupe Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:09 am

TRS63 wrote: Thanks a lot guys, it really means a lot to me! I will of course continue to document it. I am also already a bit further, as soon as this thread is up to date it will be sadly slower on updates :oops:
Well, as I am already here, I can also show you some of the parts I already found/bought :D
I got myself some NOS front fender panels:
The 60 only rear light backplate:

Of course, if any of you has a 60 only part (incl. the ones I already got) and wants to sell it, please send me a pm :)

I will update more this weekend, stay tuned! :)

Antoine

Braukuche wrote: c21darrel wrote: I thought spade connectors started later 62ish, wrong again. :cry: . 1960 last year for screw connectors. Well, said we were going to learn on this one :)

So that makes those screw terminal 1960 taillight housings a "half-year only" part, if I'm understanding this correctly.

Does that qualify them as the "rarest of the rare" Karmann Ghia part?

Antoine, you are one very brave man - not only do you choose to tackle the restoration of a rather rusty Karmann Ghia, you also chose a rusty Karmann Ghia that happens to have the highest number of unique parts to find ... and afford! :shock:

From what you've shared with us thus far, I'd say you definitely have the necessary talent - and obvious passion - to see this daunting project all the way through to the end, though.

Best of Luck, and thanks for taking the time to share the progres of your efforts with all of us here.

BTW, is it just me or does anyone else here feel as though seeing progress photos featuring a work space with a very old brick floor just feel so much more appropriate and legit for a vintage semi-coachbuilt European auto? :)

TRS63 Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi,

Well, thanks a lot for your answers, really appreciated! I am sure you will then like the thread more and more as we are coming soon to the metal shaping part :twisted:

@Braukuche: I thought the screw connectors were for the whole 60 model-year..but not sure.. in my case it's a really early 60 so for sure I needed them!

@Rome: cool story and picture! Sure the prices evolved a bit :cry:

@vanagonswede: I had this discussion with a few 60 owners/ghia experts. From what I understood: they changed from the batear badge to the newer during the model year but no real info about when. Might also be, that there was a time with mixed stocks. Can't say 100% that mine is original to the car but looks like :wink:

@KGcoupe: well, very brave or crazy..probably a bit of both :oops: Thanks a lot for the compliment, working hard to develop my skills but you're right about the passion..I love this car and want to have it on the road, even if the journey is still long..(and expensive :lol: )
Concerning the barn: I felt in love with it the first visit and manages to buy it, love the flair of this old place and it feels so right with my old vw :oops: :D

Another update on the frame and the steering parts.. soon I will start to detail you the work on the body, but I am only at its beginning :wink:

So, the frame. Now that the pans are welded, I still had to weld the gas pedal fixation:

So I mounted it:

Measured everything, put some weld primer:

Welded and with primer:

Of course the pedal assembly has been disassembled, cleaned, painted,...

Now it is time to take care of the steering box:

All necessary seals, oil,..:

And rebuilt:

I also rebuilt the spindles:

Antoine

Mellow Yellow 74 Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Nice work.

Where did you buy the gaskets and seals for the steering box?

It looks like you made up a tool to install the spindle bushes rather than pressing in? Can you please provide details of this?

I see an English wheeel in your workshop - I look forward to seeing the body work you did using this.

Also your work space is massive - where is this?

noexit Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 pm

What kind of reamer did you use for reaming out the bushingings?

Braukuche Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:26 pm

Since yours is an early 60 production you for sure have the better screw terminals.
Here is the change over. I always forget when they introduced the new models year but I think it I should later than August?

TRS63 Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:01 am

Thanks guys :D

@Mellow Yellow 74: I bought everything for the steering box at CSP, a german dealer :wink: The tool for the spindle bushes isn't something special, it's only a long threaded axle with 2 small tunes at the right size. When I screw it, it moves the tube that pushes the bushing inside. I can look to see if I have a picture doing it.. :wink:
Well observed, there is an english wheel. Not an expert yet of this tool but yes.. I love metalshaping :wink:
The place is in Stuttgart. It's quite big (140m2), but have the disadvantage that due to the wood structure, I can only park cars in the middle (48m2). Rest ist for tools, pan,.. but still, I love it! I will put more pictures of the place if you want!

@noexit: an 18 reamer long enough to do both sides in one pass. I can check the reference if you want! :wink:

@Braukuche: exactly, change of model year is in august so all 60s had screws and 61 spad connector 8)

Antoine

kokanee Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:25 pm

KGCoupe wrote: TRS63 wrote: Thanks a lot guys, it really means a lot to me! I will of course continue to document it. I am also already a bit further, as soon as this thread is up to date it will be sadly slower on updates :oops:
Well, as I am already here, I can also show you some of the parts I already found/bought :D
I got myself some NOS front fender panels:
The 60 only rear light backplate:

Of course, if any of you has a 60 only part (incl. the ones I already got) and wants to sell it, please send me a pm :)

I will update more this weekend, stay tuned! :)

Antoine

Braukuche wrote: c21darrel wrote: I thought spade connectors started later 62ish, wrong again. :cry: . 1960 last year for screw connectors. Well, said we were going to learn on this one :)

So that makes those screw terminal 1960 taillight housings a "half-year only" part, if I'm understanding this correctly.

Does that qualify them as the "rarest of the rare" Karmann Ghia part?

Antoine, you are one very brave man - not only do you choose to tackle the restoration of a rather rusty Karmann Ghia, you also chose a rusty Karmann Ghia that happens to have the highest number of unique parts to find ... and afford! :shock:

From what you've shared with us thus far, I'd say you definitely have the necessary talent - and obvious passion - to see this daunting project all the way through to the end, though.

Best of Luck, and thanks for taking the time to share the progres of your efforts with all of us here.

BTW, is it just me or does anyone else here feel as though seeing progress photos featuring a work space with a very old brick floor just feel so much more appropriate and legit for a vintage semi-coachbuilt European auto? :)

The screw terminal is 60 only 61 had space terminals. I have a 60 my self it's not easy to find the 60 only stuff

TRS63 Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:06 am

Update :D

Well, I am waiting on the last seat rail to come (sadly will only be end of march apparently..well, everything is prepared for it and it will then go fast and be warm enough to paint the pan so not that bad..always seeing positively!!) so I started on the body. It was clear to me since the beginning that I will have to remove the front fenders as it is quite rusted under it:

And it had apparently a small accident in the front so the nose will need work or to be replaced (still unsure until now, more on it in a future update). So I traced every needed lines:

And we went from there:

To there:

To there:

To there:

Now we can see better where the journey goes :twisted:

Not only the front will require some work but also the air boxes:

Have a nice day

Antoine

Mellow Yellow 74 Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:17 am

Seems like a bold move cutting off both sides at once - what are you going to use as a reference to set levels and positions?

TRS63 Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 am

To be honest, my plan is to adjust everything together including the hood before welding, exactly like in this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263825

I also have access to several ghias near me to take measurements of needed.

Antoine

calexican Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Congrats Antoine!! I’m always amazed when you guys go that deep with these cars. That’s some scary stuff!! Your thread reminds my a little of steph27 he is a French man restoring a 57 low light, we haven’t heard from him in a while, but it’s a beautiful restoration happening in a gorgeous barn in France. Good luck as your adventure unfolds. I love Stuttgart, my band plays there often, let me know if you ever want to go to a show, would love to see your shop, we could do a swap! Rock on!

TRS63 Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:09 pm

calexican wrote: Congrats Antoine!! I’m always amazed when you guys go that deep with these cars. That’s some scary stuff!! Your thread reminds my a little of steph27 he is a French man restoring a 57 low light, we haven’t heard from him in a while, but it’s a beautiful restoration happening in a gorgeous barn in France. Good luck as your adventure unfolds. I love Stuttgart, my band plays there often, let me know if you ever want to go to a show, would love to see your shop, we could do a swap! Rock on!

Hi man,
Thanks a lot for the compliment :D sure is a bit scary when you start to cut but hey, I want it all new and no other way :D
Sure for the swap, my wife and I would love to see you on stage and it would be my pleasure to show you my shop and the work on my ghia! Just tell me when you have a show planned in Stuttgart and we arrange it!
Have a nice day!
Antoine

Mellow Yellow 74 Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:40 pm

TRS63 wrote: To be honest, my plan is to adjust everything together including the hood before welding, exactly like in this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263825

I also have access to several ghias near me to take measurements of needed.

Antoine

Good one, I hadn't seen that thread before

Inchpincher61 Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:53 am

Antoine....

its indeed very interesting to see all the unique 60 items as well as your progress and the way you approach that project. Solid work...I really appreciate that!

But anyway its crazy to see that stripped frontend :cry: ...thats so much work!!

TRS63 wrote:
Inchpincher61: I don't know where in Germany you are but if you come to Stuttgart, please "Komm vorbei" :wink:

>> I am from Dresden but if there is a opportunity I make pitstop :wink:
>> By the way...I have some parts left for the metalwork... even NOS stuff. Just let me know if you´re lookin for parts.

Keep it up man!

Viktor Cz. Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:52 am

I know the feeling

Before

After

GHIA Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:20 pm

Vraiment dommage que tu n'es pas gardé la taule d'origine à l'arrière de la roue de secours. [-X
Du coup tu as perdu le numéro de coque et une spécificité du modèle 60