TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Looked at a local 65 today. Is this decent to build on? Page: 1, 2  Next
hylomatt Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:49 pm

I went and looked at this guy. I thought it was much more solid that what I've seen from Florida lately but wanted to see what you guys would say about it. The seller won't drop below $4800. He's got nice records from back to '87. It was the dash-color blue. Someone painted it green. And put a lumpy 1776 in the back. The seller only purchased it mid-January and hasn't done anything to it.

and a video:

Most of the "spotting" is pollen or oak bloom. It's got boxes of parts inside too.

Pruneman99 Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Yikes. If that's a $4800 dollar car in Florida, I'm renting a tractor-trailer, buying every car on CL here in SoCal, and shipping them down.

The channels are definitely gone. It would make me nervous about all the other rust I can't see. The engine looks hog-podged as well.

I'd keep looking but really I'm not familiar with the VW market in FL.

Cusser Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:02 pm

Looks like significant rust to me, but then again, I'm in Arizona.

Have you considered a VW from the southwest?

hylomatt Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Hm. And I thought the channels looked pretty good. Maybe I didn't see it for what it was. I have considered and am considering VWs from the midwest. Probably being impatient.

Lots of people here in Florida seem to act like rust is no big deal and absolutely refuse to price the car considering it's true condition. It's frustrating dealing with these people. You know you have to spend at least 2K immediately to get it under control but they just don't see it or care.

I recently checked out another 65 and had the guy tell me that it probably wasn't the car for me because it's a great car and isn't for "redoing". As if the rust repair was not required. It's repair, not a redo. These people can't be this dumb. If you don't fix it, eventually you won't have anything to fix. And procrastinating will only make it more expensive.

Anyway, I thought this one had a helping of surface rust but that it looked like it had solid bones. That's why I bring them to the "group" for viewing. Thanks guys.

iowegian Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:27 pm

So the seller is at $4800 firm. He has owned the car for a month and wants to double his money by "fleeping" it. If he found one for a reasonable price, you can too.

67rustavenger Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:47 pm

hylomatt wrote: Hm.
I have considered and am considering VWs from the midwest. Probably being impatient.

Lots of people here in Florida seem to act like rust is no big deal and absolutely refuse to price the car considering it's true condition. It's frustrating dealing with these people. You know you have to spend at least 2K immediately to get it under control but they just don't see it or care.

Thanks guys.
Spend the most money on a car that you can afford at the time of purchase.
You will be miles ahead in costs. Compared to buying cheap and then making repairs just to get it to the same cost point or even higher cost.

Don't even bother looking in the rust belt. They are all rusted and need the bottom 1/3 replaced. Read the statement above again.

Look in the SW USA for good candidates.
I bought one 3.5 years ago from Tuscon, Az. Sight unseen. It was listed in the samaba classifieds.
I spent many hours on the phone with the owner/builder.
He sent pictures and video's text messages and emails when requested.
I even had him do a proof of life pic request. The request came to him via email and the pic was text to my phone in less than 5 minutes. I had asked him for a pic of an odd part that no one would have in their galley.

When the car was delivered. I found a good quality car that I drive everyday to work. No matter what the weather.
^^^ Sorry for the ramble. That's just my experience.

Good Luck.

hylomatt Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:55 pm

@67rustavenger, You're right, I know you are. You aren't the first person to say that to me either. Hitest and others have been saying the same thing. I'm a little embarrassed because I think I might be in a pattern here. I'm probably being too cheap. I'll work on that.

Is it reasonable to think I can get a rust free car that ends in a story like yours for <=$6k? What should my budget really be?. I want a 63 or 65. No rust or no expensive rust (battery tray, etc), decent to good paint. I'd like to not have to strip it down and paint it immediately. Just go over the mechanicals, fix what needs fixing and get to driving to and from work.

iowegian Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Just to play "Devil's Advocate" here-------it can not be said that ALL cars from the Midwest are rust buckets. Many lived in formerly salt-free areas like the Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, etc. and migrated here some years ago and no longer venture out in the winter. (I own a '66 Beetle like that.) However, such cars do not usually fall into the "cheap" category.

Sharp64 Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:06 pm

I would start striking up a friendship maybe with some members in Texas, Arizona, California, Montana, etc and look at bringing in a rust free car. Be prepared to spend $1000-1500 for shipping.

Honestly, I was getting ready to sell my 64 a month or so ago to fund another car but before when I listed it for sale I had stupid lowball offers so opted to keep it and put some moeney and effort into it. The Irony about Florida is people are asking stupid prices for cars as sellers and buyers are a bunch of cheap assholes trying to spend as little as possible. My car is a true rust free Texas car. It has some paint issues (green inside/white outside) but truly a solid car and had assholes offering me $3k for it. It’s ridiculous.

gt1953 Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Pass and keep on shopping. Do look out west of the continental divide.
One question is why selling it after one month???

splitjunkie Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Pruneman99 wrote: Yikes. If that's a $4800 dollar car in Florida, I'm renting a tractor-trailer, buying every car on CL here in SoCal, and shipping them down.

The channels are definitely gone. It would make me nervous about all the other rust I can't see. The engine looks hog-podged as well.

I'd keep looking but really I'm not familiar with the VW market in FL.

How are the channels gone? The only thing we are seeing rotted is the retaining strip for the carpet. Otherwise they look remarkably sound based on what we are seeing. They might be gone be we have no evidence of that based on the pictures.

The car definitely has rust issues and I wouldn't consider it without going over it from top to bottom.

Pruneman99 Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:50 pm

The driver's side channel is all rust bubbled. Looks like tons of paint over rust. Maybe I am spoiled looking at SoCal cars, but that's gone in my book. By the time you grind that all out it's replacement time.

I would find a rust free car from the Southwest or fridgid north and pay the shipping. You can eat up 1k in rust repair in a hurry.

hitest Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Hylomatt- once again, your hunting instincts and investigation skills improve! I'm glad to see you are more critical of these cars. The pics you are taking are great and details of the seller's story really help.

I believe firmly that you are not just investing in a car- but also a seller. I've turned away deals on cars (buying and selling) just because the other did not deserve my money (or my car). I hate being lied to when looking at a car- but I really hate being lied to by a buyer when selling a car. A guy bought my Syncro, saying it was perfect for his family- and it was on his car lot the next day (Watkins Auto- Garden Shitty, ID). My point is- I'm glad you'ree seeing through the shysters.

The right car will pop up and the seller will DESERVE your money.

Most agree that buying from a flipper sucks, but sometimes you'll find that guy who simply saved a good car from the scrapper- but does not want to own it.

rcooled Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:16 pm

hylomatt wrote: Is it reasonable to think I can get a rust free car that ends in a story like yours for <=$6k?
Yes, that's right in the ballpark for a truly rust-free original sedan, in running condition, with fairly decent paint and a minimum of previous body repairs. Some rubber bits might need replacing, some chrome refreshed, and you may want to re-do the interior, but that $$ should buy a pretty-much complete car. It might need tires, brakes, shocks and a good tune-up as well, but that's easy stuff.

While it's usually not thought of as a good source for vintage cars, the Boise, ID area might be worth checking out. It's pretty dry there but it does get cold in winter. They do get some snow but use no salt on the roads, so rust-free cars can be found.

iowegian Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:09 pm

[quote="rcooled"] hylomatt wrote:

While it's usually not thought of as a good source for vintage cars, the Boise, ID area might be worth checking out. It's pretty dry there but it does get cold in winter. They do get some snow but use no salt on the roads, so rust-free cars can be found.
Good call. Now if only we knew of someone who lived near there who would check out potential cars. :?

hylomatt Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:11 pm

@rcooled, you mentioned Boise Idaho and I had seen this guy in the classifieds. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2251321

@Sharp64, what were you asking for you're beetle while people were low-balling you? yeah as far as Florida goes, way too many VW sellers over here act what they've got beetles made of gold, I'm not I'm lucky to be told the price. That attitude always makes me feel very unfriendly feelings.

@hitest, again, I appreciate the words of encouragement. I really am looking for a situation that looks right and feels right, both with the car and the seller.

@splitjunkie @Pruneman99, the other channels didn't look gone, just the carpet clip do you need a little help. I'm sure there were things hiding, waiting to surprise me.

Smurf Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:22 pm

Here in PA $4800 would be a steal for a beetle like this

Sharp64 Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:22 pm

I was actually looking to trade at the time but threw out some numbers in the $7-8 range if people insisted. Mostly a lot of messages through FB that went nowhere. I’ve since dropped a 1776 into it that I just built and having too much fun driving it right now.

bugheadred Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:14 pm

that sounds like it has a loose head to me

iowegian Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:28 pm

[email protected] wrote: that sounds like it has a loose head to me
I just thought it sounded like an old John Deere to go along with the paint scheme.