TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cool Option
coad Fri May 07, 2004 7:31 am

Anyone seen one of these installed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7901662844

Looks kinda useless since we already have pretty much the same thing in the standard system. Or am I missing something?

GhiaNut Fri May 07, 2004 8:12 am

Man, I'm glad you asked. I'm stumped, too. I can't see filling up my Ghia interior with PVC pipe.

Another puzzler: Dave's claim that "we are not experts on these cars". I've been to his shop and Dave really helped straighten me out on a lot of engine questions, among other things. He has a lot of HTF stuff, and 5 bugs sitting in the driveway. Maybe he just meant that he didn't know Ghias, but he sure as heck knows VWs.

jason_hamilton Fri May 07, 2004 10:45 am

If I'm not mistaken (I've only ever seen the brochure for this kit), it actually allows cold "nose vent" fresh air to blow into the front foot well, as opposed to the stock system that only blows it through the windshield vents. I beleive it involves cutting holes in the trunk panel (gasp!).

Ghiaddict Fri May 07, 2004 1:20 pm

Wow!
Yes, these are the vintage "crotch coolers" or Uni-Vents and I've seen them installed on a '67 KG 'vert that we restored for a customer about 2 years ago. They work amazingly well and do offer up a substantial amount of additional fresh air flow into the passenger cabin.
They do require 2 holes to be cut for each unit (4 in all). The intake is tied into the fresh air channel inside the front wheel wells and the discharge through the front bulkhead panel below the dash @ just about "crotch" level. Hence the above-mentioned nickname.
Very recently there was another thread on these here in the Ghia Forum or on the STF.

Ghiaddict Fri May 07, 2004 1:29 pm

See also:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=69423&highlight=crotch

REXER Sat May 08, 2004 7:18 pm

Dave is a good guy- he always takes the time to answer my questions, and he seems to be the only person in any reasonable proximity to me that is able to do so. So, I guess me and my crotch might give it a try--