TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need suggestion on refurbishing front torsion bushings
Just_Me Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:44 pm

Hi, this is my first post. I am doing a pan-off restoration on my 73 Thing that has sat in my garage for 20 years. I would appreciate suggestions on whether I should go ahead and replace these torsion arm bushings, or let them be. I will be sand-blasting the chassis and POR-15 all the metal.

I dont want to fix something that doesnt need fixing, but will replace things that are easy and accessible at this stage.

If you guys see anything else in this photo that I should replace at this stage in my restoration, please let me know.
[

av8shunmeckaneck Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:04 am

Just_Me wrote: Hi, this is my first post. I am doing a pan-off restoration on my 73 Thing that has sat in my garage for 20 years. I would appreciate suggestions on whether I should go ahead and replace these torsion arm bushings, or let them be. I will be sand-blasting the chassis and POR-15 all the metal.

I dont want to fix something that doesnt need fixing, but will replace things that are easy and accessible at this stage.

If you guys see anything else in this photo that I should replace at this stage in my restoration, please let me know.
[

If you pull the arms off and the needle bearings look good and dont fall out I would keep them.

-Al- Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:25 am

While you are at it... Check the rubber on your ball joints and the tie rods to make sure they are not split open. When you pull the arms out to look at the needle bearings, check the condition of the seals... from the grease on the end of the torsion tubes, you might need new seals. The sway bar bushings are thing only (due to bar size and angle of hole) and the hole is not centered in the rubber. They might look bad because of the offset hole, but still be in good condition. The clamps holding the sway bar straps that wrap around the arms can be a pain to remove and worse yet to install.