TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Joe71885 Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:27 pm

So last Christmas my wife surprised me with a walk through 57 bus, I have never owned a bus or worked on a bus, but I did have a VW Bug since High school (15 years ago) and constantly worked on it (freeway flyer put in, upgraded to a 1914 engine, disc brakes all around, you know the basics). The bus has been upgraded to a 091 transmission (Yes IRS) and a type 4 (1.8L). I do not know much about either and am stilling trying to figure everything out. The Bus is really nice and just needs touch ups here or there. We started to go through it and realized the mechanic who worked on it did some weird stuff and didn't exactly know what he was doing. The tail lights didn't work and you could tell he was trying to diagnose it (Extra grounds to the tail/brake lights in the rear) but when he put the new wiring harness in he forgot to connect the tail light to the switch at the front (We followed the wire all the way to the front. Now this is a new experience and I will have some questions that I am hoping the community can help me with. No I have not purchased a Bentley manual but I will soon. Here are some photos of when we picked it up.

We purchased a tow bar on the way down to California to pick it up in riverside.

Any questions I can answer go ahead and ask. I am new and wlll be asking a lot of questions myself. Thank you

Joe71885 Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:39 pm

Now going through everything after that we looked at the transmission underneath and found the nose cone had a bolt with the head missing and was leaking oil and you could tell the mechanic took a transmission from an older bus and popped it in without rebuilding it or (it appears the brakes, I haven't pulled the drums off yet), and i realized I needed a new transmission.

Joe71885 Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:51 pm

Now here comes the questions I have, After installing the new 091 Tranny from Dons Bus box in Peoria, AZ, I still had a lot of play in the shifter and after having my dad mess with it while under the bus I think I found the issue. There is no bushing in the front of the shift rod. I have found some supporting forums that helped me realize the issue but have yet to find one that actually shows the part and how to put it in. I bought a kit but just need some guidance in putting it in. or how it comes apart. I have found a bunch for later buses but for earlier 55 -57 or something like that I cant find anything. Any help would be grateful. Thanks

type2rescuemaine Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Do you know if this bus was originally a 1957 Walkthrough Sunroof bus or was the walkthrough section and the sunroof added?

Joe71885 Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:42 pm

It appears to be a walkthrough originally, I have not taken a look for the dimples on the roof for the ragtop originality. I have been told the walk through means that it was taken off the line to a separate factory to become a walkthrough.

sled Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:22 pm

there is SOOOO much weird stuff going on both with the rear and the front. almost looks like a bay chassis with a split body welded onto it?

the sunroof does not look original nor does the walkthrough.

Joe71885 Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:31 pm

There is a lot of weird stuff with it. A lot of modifications. They did put in an IRS into it. Not sure if it is an actual original walkthrough or how to tell. I have had somebody tell me it looks like it is but I'm am no expert. The seats do not rotate I just took them off then took a photo.

obus Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:36 pm

Brazilian bus?

Joe71885 Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:38 pm

No, not a Brazilian, the work on it is not from a factory

Joe71885 Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:51 pm

I will take some pictures of the walkthrough tomorrow and post them. But not to worried if it is original, just my bus and am trying to fix some of the stuff on it correctly. The previous owners mechanic made it work and did not do it correctly. It looks like he put silicone on the pushrod tubes on the engine to seal it from leaking. Just some weird stuff that makes you ask why.

nineteensixtyfiveVG Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:52 pm

it has that floor vent between the seats like a baywindow. what comes out of there on this bus? Where is the other end of that vent?

Joe71885 Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:52 pm

I dont think the sunroof is original.

Joe71885 Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:55 pm

nineteensixtyfiveVG wrote: it has that floor vent between the seats like a baywindow. what comes out of there on this bus? Where is the other end of that vent?

I have no idea, I will try to find out.

EverettB Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Quote:

nineteensixtyfiveVG wrote: it has that floor vent between the seats like a baywindow. what comes out of there on this bus? Where is the other end of that vent?
This is off the topic of his Bus but does heat come out of there on a Bay Window?
If so, I never knew that.

The entire raised lip that travels the width of the cargo floor is not normal on a Split Bus.

d-rick Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:30 pm

No heater vent coming up to the dash there between the kick panels and yeah the whole under side looks like a bay or something...And yes heat comes out there between the seats on a bay I do believe

dms Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:48 pm

Wow it would be interesting to know where the split bus ends and continues onto bay window parts. It would be a ton of work to fit all the bay window chassis components onto a split bus chassis . It almost looks like a complete bay chassis with a split window body.
Whoever done it looks like they had a lot of autobody skills and time to invest into it.
Cool bus ! 8)

Eric&Barb Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:18 pm

Joe71885 wrote: The tail lights didn't work and you could tell he was trying to diagnose it (Extra grounds to the tail/brake lights in the rear)

Ground wires are required if you want the stock taillights to work properly. VW finally added them to the stock harness in 1970.

Joe71885 Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:02 pm

Eric&Barb wrote: Joe71885 wrote: The tail lights didn't work and you could tell he was trying to diagnose it (Extra grounds to the tail/brake lights in the rear)

Ground wires are required if you want the stock taillights to work properly. VW finally added them to the stock harness in 1970.

Sorry extra ground wires.

sub-hatchtim Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 pm

Your trans issue maybe because of the rebuilder, Don is known here in the valley for doing subpar work

ryans65 Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:28 am

has baywindow rear wheel arches also, can you post some pictures of the rockers and outriggers up underneath? maybe the front beam also? I'm just curious how much split window is left underneath