TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need Help Choosing Exhaust System for BUGATTI Type 35 Replica
texastomeh Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:53 am

Guys,

I just recently acquired a '71\'73 Standard Beetle based kit replica (vaguely) of a 1927 BUGATTI Type 35.

Overall great shape; just in need of some TLC and updates.

The engine was just recently updated from 1600 to 1776cc and dual carbs added.

The exhaust system is a "painted" EMPI with a chrome stinger.

The exhaust system is one of the things that I definitely want to update/change.

If you are familiar with the Type 35, you know that it has a very "pointy" boat-tail rear end. The single stinger looks "okay" but (1) I don't like the stinger's look or sound and (2) I want some sort of "dual" tips.

I would welcome any recommendations from you guys, especially any that might have or had a Type 35, re what would (1) fit body-wise, (2) look good, (3) sound good, (4) perform well, and (5) be ceramic coated - not necessarily in order.

Thanx,

Tom

texastomeh Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:38 pm

Guys,

Had a friend suggest EMPI's LOW DUAL ZOOM EXHAUST SYSTEM.

It is not ceramic coated but does have dual angle tip chrome mufflers.

Looks like it would be a good look and fit physically.

Would be very interested in hearing from anyone running these re loudness and sound.

Thanx,

Tom

GS guy Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:38 am

Kit cars are always a personal thing - how you want it to look, fit and finish, etc. From googling pics it looks like the VW engine is pretty well hidden under the rear bonnet. I'd be inclined to do something a little closer to the original Bugatti exhaust - a single somewhat boring pipe running out the rear offset to one side. With that in mind, the Hideaway style header comes to mind with muffler tucked up against the passenger valve cover, then custom fit a tail pipe coming out the back. Maybe add a single SS "tip" to give it a touch more pizzaz.
Guess it comes down to how you want it to look, more original or more kit-car/hot rod. Any type of 4 into 1 header provides better performance than the style with pipes running straight into a muffler with tips coming out (like a Monza).
Do what makes you happy!
Jeff

texastomeh Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:06 am

Jeff,

GOOD points!!

Appreciate the response!!

Tom