TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Reinz gasket/seal kit washer and o-ring identification
dabaron Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:52 am

i recently purchased a Victor Reinz full gasket/seal kit. there are several o-rings and washers that are confusing me.

there are six o-rings:

1. small green - dipstick tube
2. large - breather tower
3. largest - water pump
4. small D shaped - distributor shaft
5. small - t-stat housing to 3&4 head
6. large - flywheel/flex plate o-ring

not included in the kit:

pulley o-ring
oil cooler o-ring

there are six washers:

1. copper head drain washer (1&2 head)
2. copper head drain washer (3&4 head)
3. copper large - oil drain plug
4. copper medium - oil pickup tube bolt
5. copper small - unknown
6. small steel - unknown

edited to add confirmed usages

dabaron Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:43 am

took the time to make what i could not find on the internet - feel free to add corrections!

Victor Reinz Vanagon Gasket Set

A cork valve cover gaskets (2)
B rubber head gaskets (2)
C intake manfold gaskets (2)
D rear main seal (flywheel/flexplate end)
E front main seal (pulley end)
F exhaust gasket (4)
G carb gasket (not used on FI models)
H intake gasket (not used on FI models)
I coolant flange gasket
J water pump o-ring
K oil pump gasket
L oil pump cover gasket
M intake gasket (not used on FI models)
N cylinder metal top rings (4)
O top jug o-ring (green) (4)
P bottom jug o-ring (black (4)
Q pushrod tube seal (head) (4)
R pushrod tube seal (case) (4)
S flywheel\flexplate o-ring
T distributor o-ring (D shaped)
U fuel pump gasket (only one used on FI models for cover plate)
V coolant gasket
W oil filler tube gasket
X felt pilot bearing gasket
Y breather tower o-ring
Z t-stat housing to 3&4 head
AA head drain plug washer (2)
BB oil drain plug washer
CC oil pickup tube bolt washer
DD oil dipstick tube o-ring
EE UNKNOWN
FF UNKNOWN

1 Reinzosil black sealant
2 Yellow sealant

ragnarhairybreeks Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:00 pm

Hi,

No help with your direct question but a heads up on the oil pump gaskets. There are two, one for the back of the pump and one to go between pump body and cover plate. The latter, in two kits I’ve had experience with, were thicker than they should be. Just going by faulty memory , the cover plate gasket was closer to 0.010” than the expected 0.004” or so.

I ended up with lower than expected oil pressure due to this. Finally I discarded the gasket and used locktite gasket sealing compound.

I did lap the cover plate aswell.

Alistair

dabaron Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:40 pm

the Reinz set i received has a single thin oil pump gasket for between the pump and case.

Zeitgeist 13 Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:26 pm

You could probably use Reinzosil between the pump and cover.

bobhill8 Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:31 pm

Thanks Dabaron - I wish I had this a month ago, but still, now I know why I had so many extras that I couldn't find a home for. Hope you're having luck getting them all on.

dabaron Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:57 am

bobhill8 wrote: Thanks Dabaron - I wish I had this a month ago, but still, now I know why I had so many extras that I couldn't find a home for. Hope you're having luck getting them all on.

sorry, i've been distracted by life (aka 17year old son) or i would have gotten to this about a month ago...

still haven't figured out what the small copper and small steel washers are for, i'm guessing not for my 2.1 FI engine.

hope your rebuild went!

dabaron Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:59 am

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: You could probably use Reinzosil between the pump and cover.

that is the plan. everything looks to be in good shape and damn near 0.000 clearance.

jberger Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:19 am

dabaron wrote: Zeitgeist 13 wrote: You could probably use Reinzosil between the pump and cover.

that is the plan. everything looks to be in good shape and damn near 0.000 clearance.

You do want a bid of end play here IIRC, like three thousandths.

I like the anaerobic gasket maker at this location though.

J

ajdenette Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:37 pm

I think FF might be the small crush washer that goes on the fuel pressure test port on the fuel injection T, I would also say that the fuel pump gasket is used on the FI vans to seal the block off plate to the block.

dabaron Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:03 am

ajdenette wrote: I would also say that the fuel pump gasket is used on the FI vans to seal the block off plate to the block.

i concur, one is used for that purpose.

tencentlife Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:53 pm

G are Type4 exhaust gaskets.

FF is aluminum, it's for the fuel pressure test port screw.

Going by looks, I'd say you mixed up S and Y. Anyway, breather tower is fat black, f/w is silvery.

AA and EE are all just M8 coppers, for oil pickup bracket bolt and head drain plugs.

The fat pulley o-rings are often good for another go, but VanCafe has them. OWHX eared o-ring also has to be bought separately, VC once again.

There's a lot left over after you build a US wbx, don't think you have to account for everything.

Oil pump gear endplay should be as small as you can get it while the gears still turn freely. 0.001" would be ideal. The clearance opens up at temp, so no need to have .003" cold, it'll be that big when it runs. Reinzosil is great for direct sealing of the cover without a gasket.

dabaron Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:31 am

tencentlife wrote:
Oil pump gear endplay should be as small as you can get it while the gears still turn freely. 0.001" would be ideal. The clearance opens up at temp, so no need to have .003" cold, it'll be that big when it runs. Reinzosil is great for direct sealing of the cover without a gasket.

thank you for the updates...

my oil pump endplay was between .002 and .003, i used Reinzosil between the case and pump and the thin gasket for the cover based on a previous post comment.

jberger Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:54 am

dabaron wrote: tencentlife wrote:

thank you for the updates...

my oil pump endplay was between .002 and .003, i used Reinzosil between the case and pump and the thin gasket for the cover based on a previous post comment.

You'll want to pull that gasket out and use your sealant of choice.

J