TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Reduction box cruising engine.
deltabrent Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:29 am

I posted a question in the engine forum awhile ago about building an engine and it got really confusing really fast. I have several engine, carbs, parts, pieces and most of what I need to build an engine for my 62 bus with Reduction Boxes. I want a good reliable cruising engine that isn't going to break a land speed record, require advanced building skills and won't break the bank.

I have a 1500cc that needs a crank grind, a couple other single ports in unknown condition, a 1600DP I haven't looked at, a Zenith NDIX, 2 Bug sprays, 3 early Bosch mechanical Distributors and lots of other smaller parts.

Whats a good no machining required torquey engine I could put together that a new builder could cobble together? (I"m not going to build a 2000cc+ dual carb, super engineered engine!)

Culito Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:15 pm

I liked my 1600 single port I had in my SC with big nut RGBs.

Erik G Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:38 pm

yep, a 1500 or 1600 single port 30pict and big nut redux boxes are great.

Bruce Amacker Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:58 pm

1600DP
New Chinese counterweighted crank
CB 2280 cheater cam
Whatever carb you like, I'd do a 34Pict. I have another engine with a 32NDIX but I like simplicity, the throttle linkage setup on that was not simple.

I've run several different SP and DP engines in busses, I'll never do a SP again.

62DoKaGuy Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Culito wrote: I liked my 1600 single port I had in my SC with big nut RGBs.

This is exactly what I'm considering putting in my '59 SC. Stock big-nut and a single-port 1600 from our Thing. How was it on hills vs. flat-land?

Erik G Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:05 pm

62DoKaGuy wrote: Culito wrote: I liked my 1600 single port I had in my SC with big nut RGBs.

This is exactly what I'm considering putting in my '59 SC. Stock big-nut and a single-port 1600 from our Thing. How was it on hills vs. flat-land?

I daily drove mine from sacramento to the motorcycle shop that used to be on 49 in auburn. I did fine around sacramento, would have to floor it getting close to auburn on the freeway to get up, but then once in auburn driving around at normal speeds was fine. It's the "get around the slow vw" mentality other people have that will get you.

62DoKaGuy Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Erik G wrote: 62DoKaGuy wrote: Culito wrote: I liked my 1600 single port I had in my SC with big nut RGBs.

I daily drove mine from sacramento to the motorcycle shop that used to be on 49 in auburn. I did fine around sacramento, would have to floor it getting close to auburn on the freeway to get up, but then once in auburn driving around at normal speeds was fine. It's the "get around the slow vw" mentality other people have that will get you.

Perfect, you know what hills I meant! Going up towards Auburn and then out 50 East to Placerville...and beyond.

Culito Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:20 pm

Mine was fine on the flats but big hills were 40-ish mph (sometimes top of 3rd gear) while giving apology waves to the people behind / passing me.

It's the VW way...

Also why I'm building a 2.0L type 4.

notchboy Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Culito wrote: Mine was fine on the flats but big hills were 40-ish mph (sometimes top of 3rd gear) while giving apology waves to the people behind / passing me.

It's the VW way...

Also why I'm building a 2.0L type 4.

Just go bay and build a 2.3 :wink: 8)

deltabrent Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:08 pm

This was so reasonable and straightforward. Thanks. I instantly was overwhelmed with endless custom ideas on the engine thread. No offence to them but I was lost. Maybe I'll sell the NDIX to fund a crank grind and just rebuild the 1500, put a 30pict1 on there (I like those), maybe a bit more interesting cam and a simple header exhaust.

Manfred58sc Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:19 pm

I love a 1500 with OG P@C, cool running, plenty of torque, PICT 30-1, 009, some type of free flow exhaust. Everything just lines up perfect,reliable,durable. Roll an enormous fake spliff and have it hanging out of your mouth as people pass you and wave weakly....

zozo Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Erik G wrote: 62DoKaGuy wrote: Culito wrote: I liked my 1600 single port I had in my SC with big nut RGBs.

What distributor are y’all using?

Culito Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:59 pm

zozo wrote: Erik G wrote: 62DoKaGuy wrote: Culito wrote: I liked my 1600 single port I had in my SC with big nut RGBs.

What distributor are y’all using?

I used a Bosch 010 with a H30/31. Good combo. Have that on my bug, too.

cdennisg Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:22 am

Bruce Amacker wrote: 1600DP
New Chinese counterweighted crank
CB 2280 cheater cam
Whatever carb you like, I'd do a 34Pict. I have another engine with a 32NDIX but I like simplicity, the throttle linkage setup on that was not simple.

I've run several different SP and DP engines in busses, I'll never do a SP again.

I have had much good luck with a stock 1600 SP and big nut trans. I have also run many miles with a similarly set up DP. Curious about your SP issues.

Balancing is the key. Make things smooth while spinning, and everything just works better.

deltabrent Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:19 am

I have a small nut reduction box setup. I think? Isn't that whats in a 62? I'm guessing it doesn't make a huge difference?

Joey Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:04 pm

deltabrent wrote: I have a small nut reduction box setup. I think? Isn't that whats in a 62? I'm guessing it doesn't make a huge difference?

At 60 mph your engine would spin close to 275 RPMs less if you changed just your small nut reduction boxes to big nut reduction boxes.

cdennisg Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Joey wrote: deltabrent wrote: I have a small nut reduction box setup. I think? Isn't that whats in a 62? I'm guessing it doesn't make a huge difference?

At 60 mph your engine would spin close to 275 RPMs less if you changed just your small nut reduction boxes to big nut reduction boxes.

A slightly taller tire would have a similar effect, if available.

deltabrent Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:22 pm

I just rebuilt my reduction box rear end. I'm not switching it out.

Erik G Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:31 pm

deltabrent wrote: I just rebuilt my reduction box rear end. I'm not switching it out.

you'll be much happier at 60mph with small nut redux boxes. Big nuts are comfortable at 65

cdennisg Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:35 pm

Erik G wrote: deltabrent wrote: I just rebuilt my reduction box rear end. I'm not switching it out.

you'll be much happier at 60mph with small nut redux boxes. Big nuts are comfortable at 65

Agreed.