TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Looking For a Bay Area Mentor
Scottn59c Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:10 am

Hey Guys,

I'm new to Vanagons (and to old VWs) and I feel rather ignorant about mine and aspire to change that. I've done some basic wrenching (oil, brakes, parts-swapping) on past vehicles, and I do own the Bentley, but it seems to me that the manual takes so much for granted, often starting on what feels like step 6 instead of step one.

I live in Half Moon Bay on the CA coast, and I know several of us here are Bay Area denizens. I'm hoping to connect with someone who can show me my way around this van. As simple as adjusting valves, points, and basic timing are to many, I haven't done these things and would love to learn.

For an hour or two of your time, I'd be happy to pay $50 and a good 6-pack of microbrews, and you'd make a new Samba friend in the bargain. You'd have to be willing to come to me since I've got the van non-oped.

If you'd be willing to help me out, feel free to respond in the thread or to PM me.

Thanks!

Scott

Abscate Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:18 am

Scour the fora for

Colin (amskeptic)

Robbie (asiab)

Stu Zickefoos

and you will have three mobile guys who do this for a living.

Their rates are about on par with your budget.

Scottn59c Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Hi Guys,

Been some time since I originally posted this. Thought I'd try again. I have enjoyed the van and learned what I could over the last year, but I would really love to link up with a mentor or even someone with moderate experience willing to share some wisdom and to help me wrench. You work with me on my van and I'll compensate you and/or help you work on yours!

These times have cut our social skills in half. Come make a new friend! I'm a nice guy, plus I own a pretty cool old Vanagon :)

Abscate Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:26 pm

I think a lot of the mobile guys are virtual during Covid but reach out to them

Airschooled.com for Robbie

Scottn59c Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:08 pm

Thanks Abscate,

Tried Robbie some time ago, and he's not on the go at the moment. He's got my contact info for the future, though.

dgbeatty Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:32 pm

If you are able, willing to put in the work I may be willing to mentor you. Let me warn, I can make an apprentice cry if they are not willing to put in the work.
Truly interested. Contact me.