TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Clementine79 Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:29 pm

Ordered bumpers and did Plastidip for temporary protection until our bus is repainted.

Clementine79 Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:42 pm

New engine is in we hope to have the bus back in about 1-2 weeks after the shop road tests and tunes new engine!

richparker Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:20 am

Nice!!!

Did you go with an external cooler too?

wagohn Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:51 am

Clementine79 wrote: First camping trip of the season, the bus did great there and back. We tried our new electric heater and it worked great keeping the bus around 60-70 when it got near freezing overnight. A nasty storm rolled in later in the night.

What electric heater did you use and how did you power it? We thought about a Jackery (battery box) powered electric heater for our bus. But even a measly 250w heater would blow through the available power of the Jackery in less than an hour.
Thanks

Clementine79 Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:12 pm

richparker wrote: Nice!!!

Its has a type 4 oil cooler on it.

Clementine79 Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:13 pm

wagohn wrote: Clementine79 wrote: First camping trip of the season, the bus did great there and back. We tried our new electric heater and it worked great keeping the bus around 60-70 when it got near freezing overnight. A nasty storm rolled in later in the night.

What electric heater did you use and how did you power it? We thought about a Jackery (battery box) powered electric heater for our bus. But even a measly 250w heater would blow through the available power of the Jackery in less than an hour.
Thanks

It’s a Honeywell oscillating type with thermostat built in, we use the Goal Zero and it won’t run it either. It only works on shore power outlet.

wagohn Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:28 pm

Clementine79 wrote:
It’s a Honeywell oscillating type with thermostat built in, we use the Goal Zero and it won’t run it either. It only works on shore power outlet.

Ah, OK. Thanks.

richparker Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:37 pm

Clementine79 wrote: richparker wrote: Nice!!!

Its has a type 4 oil cooler on it.

That’s a nice upgrade, I also run one of those. But, a 2L T1 engine with 8.5:1 compression is gonna produce a lot of heat. You may want to consider some sort of in/out oil pump with an external cooler in the near future. No one wants to see a new engine melt down. Good luck!

Clementine79 Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:19 pm

Back on the road after 5 months

New bumper on

Pulled the old radio again

New unit for satellite radio and new speakers to replace the blown door speakers

KentABQ Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:03 pm

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Another Riviera is up and running again! Good job!

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Clementine79 Mon May 17, 2021 8:27 am

Got the rack installed, Thule 542 artificial gutters with Thule 300 setup.

obieoberstar Mon May 17, 2021 8:10 pm

great looking bus. clean work overall.

just curious if you have the moustache bar for that type 1 engine in the late bay window chassis.

Clementine79 Tue May 18, 2021 9:36 am

Yes it has the mustache bar, I believe the builder fabricated custom mounts for it. I can post some pictures of the underside later.

Clementine79 Sun May 23, 2021 5:14 pm

Took the bus out for the first camping trip since the rebuild, went down about 8 miles of dirt roads and did some hikes afterwards. The bus is running great!

Clementine79 Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:07 am

Just enjoying the bus this summer.

wagohn Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:49 am

Clementine79 wrote: Just enjoying the bus this summer.

Awesome, give your kids memories for a lifetime. :)

Clementine79 Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:35 pm

Compound and wax:

Clementine79 Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:17 pm

This time of the year is most pleasant for driving the bus, highs in the mid 60's and lows around 40. During the day the fresh air vents are perfect, during the cold mornings the heat works well.

Clementine79 Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:16 pm

Headed through the pass to Wallace ID, stopped off in CDA for lunch

Then we were off to Wallace with a first stop at the Pulaski trail

Then headed to downtown Wallace to check out the shops and grab some dinner

Poptopcamper Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:07 am

I have a 1978 Riv Penthouse. All of the furniture and cabinets were with it, except no Fridge or Stove. Mine has a connection for shore power like yours. Does your interior 110 v plug work only when plugged to shore power? All lot of the wiring was pulled by the P.O. so I’m still figuring electrics out. Mine was in sad shape mechanically so I had to get it to run and stop first. Now I am focusing on upholstry and other interior stuff.
Very nice build. Bill