TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Does Subaru 2.5 haul ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
rogertj Thu May 30, 2019 4:44 am

Does the Subaru 2.5 2002 engine halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack full of stuff? :shock:

The cargo Rack that I'm planning on doing is a full roof rack, I have welding material and can have one made in a couple of days.

I'm asking this because I already have a 2.5 donor engine here, however, engine rebuilding is needed because its consuming oil like 1 quart every month, and has no leaks in the motor area. No overheating, daily driver, good dependable motor, almost 200,000 miles Soooooo! I'm taking apart donor motor, rebuilding it and buying the conversion parts.

So my main concern does it halls ass with this amount of cargo or should I better go with Subaru H6 6 cylinder engine? Or maybe a VW VR6?

My Vanagon is a GL 1985 4 speed manual transmision 091 6 rib that currently has the jetta 2.0 conversion with 1.8 vw heads and 32/36 carburator but having dificulties in making it run again... :evil:

Any suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks!

a2wolfsburggli Thu May 30, 2019 4:50 am

Any 7 passenger van will hall the equivalent amount of ass. 7.

If it's only you in the van it will also be hauling the equivalent amount of ass. 1.

The occupancy is directly proportionate to the equivalent Haulling of ass.

(Sorry, that door was left wide open.) :lol: :lol: :lol:

mikemtnbike Thu May 30, 2019 4:52 am

I'd say it can literally haul all those asses much more quickly than either the WBX or an ABA, but figuratively haul ass like say my Mazda Speed3? No, still a brick.

rogertj Thu May 30, 2019 4:53 am

a2wolfsburggli wrote: Any 7 passenger van will hall the equivalent amount of ass. 7.

If it's only you in the van it will also be hauling the equivalent amount of ass. 1.

The occupancy is directly proportionate to the equivalent Haulling of ass.

(Sorry, that door was left wide open.) :lol: :lol: :lol:

hahahahahahaha

danfromsyr Thu May 30, 2019 6:01 am

the Subie 2.5 is about 165hp,.
the ABA 2.0 is about 115hp.
the Subie 3.0 is about 245 hp,
and your transaxle won't haul that for too long before grenading the 4th gear bearing and main shaft.

I'm curious how you want to get a Subie 2.5 or 3.0 swap working when you(or your mechanic) aren't getting the carb's ABA to work.
well with a butt load of $$ will fix either..

with the $$$$$$ buy a different van. and enjoy more life ;-)

borninabus Thu May 30, 2019 6:45 am

no matter what you do to it, it will still be a VW van.
"haul ass" is a relative term.
my stock 2.1 "hauls ass" compared to the old buses i spent most of my life in.

rogertj Thu May 30, 2019 6:47 am

danfromsyr wrote: the Subie 2.5 is about 165hp,.
the ABA 2.0 is about 115hp.
the Subie 3.0 is about 245 hp,
and your transaxle won't haul that for too long before grenading the 4th gear bearing and main shaft.

I'm curious how you want to get a Subie 2.5 or 3.0 swap working when you(or your mechanic) aren't getting the carb's ABA to work.
well with a butt load of $$ will fix either..

with the $$$$$$ buy a different van. and enjoy more life ;-)

The carb and the heads are done the problem now is that the engine doesn't have power and is heating after 28 minutes with the fan on (direct)

I'm going with my mechanic today to see what's happening

When I did the engine rebuild back in 2012 aprox I went from Tijuana to Yosemite with some issues of loose bolts and some trany lube leaking out but I managed to head home safe after some minor maintenance on the road and then got the trany going again

I really want to keep the van since Mexico doesn't import German cars anymore starting with serial number with letters only numbers from 1-5 (North America) and if you could import them the tariff is way to high

The other reason is that it has this conversion already and maybe I can get another vw engine in there just need to figure out if it would clear the engine hood. (Fuel Injection)

The other more expensive route would be to put the Subaru motor in but it's more expensive

But believe me I want to enjoy life but with a working motor :D

dobryan Thu May 30, 2019 6:59 am

A really good option to consider is the VW 1.8t. Lots of options for tuning for more power and it is still VW.

T3 Pilot Thu May 30, 2019 7:00 am

There’s a thread for this...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686164

Paulbeard Thu May 30, 2019 7:03 am

T3 Pilot wrote: There’s a thread for this...

Ouch.

rogertj Thu May 30, 2019 7:37 am

Paulbeard wrote: T3 Pilot wrote: There’s a thread for this...

Ouch.

A question is never a stupid or lazy person question, on the contrary my friend. Knowledge is power and learning will give me knowledge that's why I always ask no matter what some folks think, God bless.

vanagonjr Thu May 30, 2019 9:13 am

A new Honda Odyssey goes 0-60 in 6.9 seconds. If you truly want a fast people carrier, I'd say that's the one.

mikemtnbike Thu May 30, 2019 9:35 am

vanagonjr wrote: A new Honda Odyssey goes 0-60 in 6.9 seconds. If you truly want a fast people carrier, I'd say that's the one.

You made me throw up a little bit in my mouth, John.

I really hate piloting modern mini-vans, always an awful driving experience (I have to drive my in-laws top end T&C to take them places far too often).

Sodo Thu May 30, 2019 10:48 am

mikemtnbike wrote: I really hate piloting modern mini-vans, always an awful driving experience (I have to drive my in-laws top end T&C to take them places far too often).

You wrote “take in-laws far” and “often”.

These two scenarios are not used together with regards to transportation in a 30 year old vehicle. This requires a modern vehicle, and careful swallowing.

Short trips often is feasible.
Far, once, is feasible (but never again, even if you made it)

If they are to remain “in-laws”.

Abscate Thu May 30, 2019 1:04 pm

vanagonjr wrote: A new Honda Odyssey goes 0-60 in 6.9 seconds. If you truly want a fast people carrier, I'd say that's the one.

But you have to avoid Psycho-Chicks who get their own Island.

alaskadan Fri May 31, 2019 7:40 am

Does this count?

vegpedlr Fri May 31, 2019 7:42 am

It will seven asses if needed. The velocity will depend greatly on the cumulative mass of said asses.

Jake de Villiers Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:25 am

"Haul ass?" No.
My '70 Nova with a 4 speed and a 327 would haul ass - my 5000 pound van with 165HP does NOT haul ass!!! 8)

wesitarz Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:59 am

88 Carat auto with 02 Subaru 2.5 (since 2003) here.Daily driver, usually driver only. Haul ass with that load? No. You would do better with the H6 3.0.

kublerwagen Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:39 am

It isn’t really a reasonably worded question. I had a 7 passenger 81 automatic Vanagon. Air-Cooled. Last summer (year before? I forget) took a bunch of us sightseeing in eastern Oregon. Climbed big hills fine, drove the speed limit or a little over everywhere. It was 68 hp of raw power. Fun to drive.

I have an ABA w 1.8 head and CIS injection in my high top camper. Maybe 110 hp? Not sure. Has the manual. Much more pep and climbs hills easier and faster. Not really fast, but fast enough to exceed the suspension’s cornering abilities if I’m not careful. Just like the air-cooled engine. It’s fun to drive.

My sort-of solicited advice would be to put fuel injection on the engine you have and drive it. Likely to be the easiest route. My CIS system is a little cold blooded but sure doesn’t have many parts.