TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: WW big bore Page: 1, 2  Next
Bengt H Fri May 31, 2019 6:28 am

Have anyone tried the new WW big bore kit??
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111198081

[email protected] Fri May 31, 2019 8:36 am

Bengt H wrote: Have anyone tried the new WW big bore kit??
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111198081

At $539 I pass 😣😤😔 ....i don't get why 36hp engines are so expensive these days to build ...maybe I'm cheap 🤔???

Alstrup Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:49 am

The volume is much much lower, so the unit price will be higher.
At that price I would seriusly consider the little extra hazzle of going 83 mm. But that´s me.

T

[email protected] Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:35 pm

Alstrup wrote: The volume is much much lower, so the unit price will be higher.
At that price I would seriusly consider the little extra hazzle of going 83 mm. But that´s me.

T

Yes I under stand about the volume being much lower but I bet if they lower there prices they would sell a lot more kits ..i think the prices should be but that's me giving prices on parts my list below I'll say a..

Ww 69.5 would be nice around $300 usd
Ww 81mm pistons kit ..$320 usd
AA pistons h beam rods $240usd
This is what I think prices should be but easier for me to give prices most these parts are made in China anyways so we know there made for cheap..
I know if prices dropped a lot more 36hp engine would be in the streets driven but that would be the day things changed but that's me talking...

Alstrup Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 am

Well, if you are ready to shell out 100 grand and do not care if it gives you a return over say 5 years. I think you should start making parts immediately.

Snort Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:31 pm

AA is still selling 80mm sets for $341.

I wonder why WW thought that it was a good idea to go one millimeter bigger. maybe AA had already developed the 80mm piston for another application and it just happened to be something that would work for a 36hp motor once they built a cylinder for it.

Is is possible that WW started fresh and decided that by ignoring other engine configurations they felt that 81mm was the perfect size to fit the case and heads without making any other significant changes? If so I would think that the extra $200 would be a reasonable amount to charge in order to recoup their R&D costs.

I agree that some of these play toys seem to be rather expensive. On the other hand it's not unreasonable to expect to pay $$$ for random modern car repairs for things that are just ridiculous like a power steering rack for a Volvo that is five years old or getting lucky at the Subaru dealer by having them remove and replace my Impreza transmission to solve a leak on the oil pump timing chain cover which magically and without warning started leaking after they pulled the motor for a valve spring recall which otherwise could have easily cost me multiple thousands of dollars.

$539 is not cheap but it isn't that bad for something you really don't need.

gimmesomeshelter Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:07 pm

While I can't comment on the quality of the WW P/C's I'm very happy to see that we have yet another option. Ten years ago your options were modified 40HP big bore, Dura Bar cylinders from Shasta (1K just for cylinders), Nickies (2.5K for cylinders and studs), or refurbished 356 cylinders. Now we have several (relatively) low cost options that are a credit card purchase away.

Cheers,

Paul

JeeWee Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:50 pm

well there is a difference... which might be significant

WW pistons are forged aluminium
AA pistons are cast iron

what is the weight difference... less rotating mass is more torque!

Kjell Roar Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:43 pm

JeeWee wrote: well there is a difference... which might be significant

WW pistons are forged aluminium
AA pistons are cast iron

what is the weight difference... less rotating mass is more torque!

From AA:
Pistons: Hypereutectic aluminum alloy

Not cast Iron.

JeeWee Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:22 am

oeps... you are right! anyhow... there still can be a difference in weight.

galencurrington Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:31 pm

Does anyone know who is making the 69.5 crank AA doesn’t have it on their website so I wonder who’s actually making it. I can get the p/c from aa and the 12v flywheel. Just trying to source the crank wholesale.

[email protected] Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:41 pm

galencurrington wrote: Does anyone know who is making the 69.5 crank AA doesn’t have it on their website so I wonder who’s actually making it. I can get the p/c from aa and the 12v flywheel. Just trying to source the crank wholesale.

Wolfsburg west sell the 69.5 crankshaft 👇👇👇
www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111198600

galencurrington Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:59 pm

Yeah but do they actually make it or do they just put it in their box?

[email protected] Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:24 pm

Wolfsburg west has a company that makes them for them ...you can ask Wolfsburg west who makes them for them but most likely they won't tell you...

galencurrington Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:25 pm

Yeah that’s probably a trade secret. That might be the one item I have to pay retail for.

[email protected] Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:30 pm

galencurrington wrote: Yeah that’s probably a trade secret. That might be the one item I have to pay retail for.

Yeah ww is the big guy who had those made by a company most likely from China or Brazil and may have a contract to not sell them besides them or else I think by know we would of seen them cheaper somewhere else but that's not the case ...

TomSimon Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:10 am

galencurrington wrote: Yeah that’s probably a trade secret. That might be the one item I have to pay retail for.

There are few secrets in manufacturing... The key is number of units sold, and wholesalers don't have time or infrastructure to do point of sale retail-type transactions. My guess is WW has to purchase 100-200 at a time.

A year ago, I was waiting for some Chinese T1 flanged crank blanks to get through customs and final ground, before I could get my hands on one for a build. The company doing the importing, final machining and wholesaling bought 1000 rough machined units I think he said, x-ray and magnafluxed them, I think there's an intermediate stress relieve step at the heat treater's, then ground them to various stroke sizes before selling them wholesale, to retailers. There's a lot of 'value added' operations in the background, all typical stuff. A lot of up front cash being committed for up to a year.

Let's say you bought a crate of 50 blanks, and paid $150ea, heck even just 1 blank... it's not like you can just have it ground to size at your local automotive machine shop, it's more involved than that, a LOT more involved.

DHVW Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:04 pm

Returning the OP's question, does anyone have experience with the WW 36hp big bore kit?

Is the extra 35cc worth the difference in price from the 80mm AA kit?

Or at that price point does it make more sense to go with 83mm kit plus additional machine work to fit to a 36hp?

Since all three sizes require machine work, is there any downside (other than price) to going with the 83mm kit?

scotty timmerman Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:07 pm

This is what you have to do to 40hp 83mm big bore kit to make it fit a 36hp. Left: 83mm 40hp middle: modified 83mm 40hp right: stock 36hp.

FritzCP Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:03 pm

That's a terrific side by side shot of the cylinders. Thank you for posting that.

Porsche 82.5mm cylinders can also be a good option vs the BB 40hp 83mm.

The bolt hole pattern is very close to 36hp and they are the same length. For machining savvy, you have to remove the top fin, and if you bore them out oversize .5mm to 83mm you can use the BB 40hp pistons, or used 1500 pistons. Which if you score some used Porsche cylinders for cheap, is a great way to recycle them. Custom pistons can be made with any compression height and pin diameter you desire to fit them as well, even 83.5mm and beyond.

WW 81mm forged pistons would be more ideally suited for forced induction engines, and really would be a cheaper/faster off the shelf way to go vs equally strong custom/ modded parts mixed and matched. bummer they didnt make them in an 83mm version instead. perhaps the walls would be too thin, or tooo much case and head machining if they did for the general public/ non race crowd. I dont know.