TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Single DIN Android Auto / Apple Car play
ChilliConCarnage Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:33 pm

I've used (and enjoyed, for the most part) Android Auto for years in most of my vehicles. Unfortunately, until recently, a decent single DIN stereo that had Android Auto was simply not available. That means for the Westy I had to make due with a cheap flipout NAV unit that didn't have any smartphone integration.

Recently Pioneer released a lineup of flip-outs that have AA and Apple Carplay. I ended up getting one. Since I'm not an Apple guy, I can't tell you how well that works, but I can confirm that AA works well on this unit, as it does on just about any AA enabled stereo.

The two Pioneer flip-out models are the AVH-3400NEX and AVH-3500NEX. The 3500NEX gets a couple of features and a better tuner, but I got the lower model.

Here's a few pix of my setup.

As you can see, the unit is fairly deep, and there is some kind of support/bracket in the dash that gets in the way of a nice flush install. Of course, a flush install wouldn't work with a flip out screen anyway, so it doesn't really matter here.

I hooked up my rear-view camera (but the picture above has too much reflection in it). Instead of it coming up automatically when I reverse, I have it on the AV input so I can use it to keep an eye on my bike rack even when I'm not in reverse.

Here's the unit on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2IHBj84. I also replaced the factory cigarette lighter with a USB / aux input plug (https://amzn.to/2ReX8j2).

In addition to Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, Pioneer includes something they call AppRadio. I tried it and found it to be some of the worst software that I've ever used, so I'm sticking with AA for now.

One thing I've noticed with AA is that the performance is directly related to the phone that you have. My wife's Galaxy S7 is slow and buggy when she uses it in her pickup truck's Pioneer Avic double DIN AA stereo. I have a Galaxy S9, and it works fast and smooth. So, this stereo is probably on worthwhile if you have the latest greatest Android phone.

Despite all the stereo gear I've installed, it's not easy to get decent sound in the Westy due to the fairly high noise floor (ie the loud engine!). Still, my setup sounds pretty good, and AA only makes it more convenient.

minsk Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:56 am

great write up..i am looking at this unit as well. how is it working so far.

slownsteady Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:02 pm

I installed a similar Pioneer AVH-P6300BT with the built in Nav option. It's a slightly older model than you have, however I couldn't be happier. The unit it replaced was a Kenwood single din (which was no slouch in performance), however the Pioneer's improvement is transformative. I also have a backup camera fitted and the clarity of the picture helps when backing into a campsite for instance. My only nit pick is the shifter can not be forward when turning on the stereo, otherwise the screen will bump it. For those of us looking at the single din options, these Pioneers are a great upgrade.

kguarnotta Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:34 pm

I've been intrigued by these - but do you have to have the display out all the time?

IE I'd like to just put my phone in and listen to some music from it. Or do you have to have the display out for it to work?

minsk Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:32 pm

kguarnotta wrote: I've been intrigued by these - but do you have to have the display out all the time?

IE I'd like to just put my phone in and listen to some music from it. Or do you have to have the display out for it to work?

the pioneer lets you have your phone screen on the pioneer monitor...thats the beauty of apple play or android auto...i have a kenwood with apple play in my audi..and its amazing...i guess violet is getting one to...

slownsteady Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:00 am

The Pioneer AVHxxxx display does not need to be out to play from the phone, which is a nice option.

On another note, when researching for a new head unit, I came across the Pioneer SPH-10BT -

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Digital+Media+Receivers/SPH-10BT

Its not very deep (ie - fits in the dash easily) and looks to have great integration with the phone. Might be just the ticket for many people.

koubiak Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:00 am

I have myself a 3500 and I really like it! The navigation safety aspect is awesome and my kids love to have access to all their podcasts.

Koubiak
ps full disclosure I work on Android Automotive

Vnyd Dog Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:46 am

Does 3rd Gear clear the screen? Your install looks to protrude much more than other Pioneer installs in the other thread. I'm still on the fence but have wanted this unit since Gen 1, but not sure if my Big Shot shifter will clear when in 3rd.

slownsteady Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:14 pm

Yes, 3rd gear clears the screen. I also have a Big Shot shifter and it hasn't been a problem. I should add - my Pioneer is fully installed in the dash.

Vnyd Dog Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:28 pm

slownsteady wrote: Yes, 3rd gear clears the screen. I also have a Big Shot shifter and it hasn't been a problem. I should add - my Pioneer is fully installed in the dash.
Nice thanks. Not to threadjack, but did you do reverse cam? Trying to figure out if the cam has to trigger off the switch on the trans or if it can trigger off the fuse block if that makes sense...

slownsteady Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:52 pm

I trigger off the backup light. As I run LED lights all around, the current draw of the camera trigger and backup LED is less than the standard bulb.

minsk Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:48 pm

slownsteady wrote: The Pioneer AVHxxxx display does not need to be out to play from the phone, which is a nice option.

On another note, when researching for a new head unit, I came across the Pioneer SPH-10BT -

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Digital+Media+Receivers/SPH-10BT

Its not very deep (ie - fits in the dash easily) and looks to have great integration with the phone. Might be just the ticket for many people.

whoa. i like the small format of this model. thanx for sharing