TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Plastic VW manufactured parcel tray installation question
fifthcenturycheese Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:31 pm

I was wondering how the plastic VW parcel tray is installed without the firewall side slipping down onto the pedal assembly? I know there are the two tension screws to hold it in place on the sides. What holds it at the firewall, is there factory instructions for this? Thanks, Mike

FL-Frank Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:01 pm

I simply routed a ziptie through the tray and around the steering column tube. Holds the middle of the tray up and away from the pedals perfectly. :D

EverettB Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:57 pm

I'm not sure about that tray but Yes, I've had other trays and they had a little piece of wire or cord that went around the steering column.

stale air Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:16 pm

Im not sure what type of tray you are working with, but most of the ones that ive seen, VW, and like mine Kamei, there are only the 2 set screws on either side. Slid forward, it will sit on the the formed sheet metal ledge, making it prettty sturdy.

fifthcenturycheese Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:02 pm

This is the tray I will be installing.

glutamodo Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:22 pm

I transplanted a 1970 vintage parcel tray over to my 62... still seemed to be "silver beige" in color and it fit fine. It just wedges against the carpet I guess. Mine has never shifted.

I will say that I think the webbing might be closer to vinyl. Vinyl is a "plastic" I guess but of a different class.

panicman Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:32 am

I have the Kamei parcel shelf as well and as Stale Air and Glutamodoís, mine fits snugly against the firewall and does not tip or slip. It hasnít moved at all that I can tell in almost 7 years.

fifthcenturycheese Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:22 pm

GOT IT! I really like this parcel tray better than the others. Here's what it turned out to look like.

hitest Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:21 am

That is an amazing find these days- great job!