TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Official Vanagons and Surfing Thread
llilibel03 Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:51 pm

prescript- even non surfers are invited and I REALLY invite you to watch the video below. I love it and the music in it. Vanagon sighting at 21:00.

After the success of the Official Lazy Persons Stupid Question Thread I have taken it upon myself to start another official thread- this one for everything having to do with vanagons and surfing.

My motive is because of a problem I encountered on my recent Vanagon Surf trip. I was going to put the question in the Stupid Question thread but decided this would be an opportunity to start something new.

The problem was this- I added a ARB awning. Just that 6-8 inches it extends outwards makes it really hard to strap boards on the surf racks. I placed my racks so I could stand I the sliding doorway and on the rear tire. But in both positions I cannot reach the straps on the inside of the board.

How are others dealing with this?

For your troubles-

postscript- how do you embed videos on this site?
[Moderator edit: video embedded.]

PDXWesty Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:01 pm

Get yourself a RMW ladder so you can reach the center straps. It mounts on the driver side but you can reach across the van.

Saw this on a Mitsubishi too.

llilibel03 Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:11 pm

I was thinking that, or carrying a folding one. The folding one seems like it would be kind of a hassle.

On the way home home from our last road trip we pulled into Tacos De Mexico in San Luis Obispo (yummy) and didn't even think about the board. Good thing it was a twin fin and not a deep single!

riceye Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:17 pm

I have a telescopic ladder that facilitates access to the roof, and is very handy for my wife to ascend to the upper berth.

vegpedlr Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:25 pm

+1 on the RMW ladder. I’m short, with short arms, but I can reach all over the roof with that.

llilibel03 Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:32 pm

Is that a Gowesty item?

Vanagon in its happy place-

kamzcab86 Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:23 pm

llilibel03 wrote: postscript- how do you embed videos on this site?

Paste the URL, highlight it, then tap/click the Vimeo or Youtube button above and to the right of the post text box.

Code: [vimeo]https://vimeo.com/233870442[/vimeo]

As for your other question, no idea other than a ladder. My van has an awning and the 2nd and 3rd owners used the roof rack (with PVC pipe on the rear crossbar as a roller) for kayaks and a surfboard, respectively. How they strapped them down, haven't a clue.🏄‍♂️

Multiman mv Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:30 pm

Thanks for starting this thread! Looking forward to seeing future contributions. I know what you mean about the awning impeding roof rack access. During surf season (used to be year round but now I’m pushing 50) i mount my side ladder from rmw and i have a gary lee ladder mounted on the rear hatch full time. Both ladders allow ample access to boards mounted on the roof rack.

Thanks for the video link. The Malloy brothers always make quality films. My wife has a crush on all three of them. In the mean time she’ll have to settle for me.

hozbee Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:23 pm

Old pic from 2017 south of Tokeland, WA.

gears Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:33 pm

There is no retirement age for surfers, Multiman .. One of the Malloy brothers would visit our son when he lived with us for a year in the CA foothills (Auburn/Meadow Vista). I think their family farm was in the Jalama area ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NiTmjo1kek

llilibel03 Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:55 pm

Hey Gears, My great grandpa owned a peach orchard in the Auburn Newcastle area. I hear there's not too many orchards left in that area. I remember visiting there when I was little and they still had a bath house heated by wood fire under the galvanized steel tubs. I also remember eating lots of really good peaches.

I think the Malloys are from Ojai.

I realized the Slow is Fast title would be appropriate for a Vanagon, even though it, I believe, refers to food.

gears Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:18 pm

That's right .. Ojai. Yes, I can't bring myself to purchase peaches at a supermarket anymore .. Machado's was were we got great peaches in Auburn.

WestyWanter Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:48 pm

This was my first "surf" trip when I got the van a couple years ago! Myself and two friends loaded up the boards and went from Marquette Mi, to a secret spot on the south coast of the Upper Pen. to the shores of Lake Michigan. This was one of the best surf sessions I had in the three years in the UP and just moved to San Diego. My van actually got picked up today by the shipping company and will be here within the week!