TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Convert Westy Fridge to 1 lb Propane bottle?
LynnsABCs Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Can you Convert Westy Fridge to 1 lb Propane bottle like you can the stove?

jimf909 Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:45 pm

LynnsABCs wrote: Can you Convert Westy Frig to 1 lb Freon bottle like you can the stove?

I'm assuming that you mean propane, not freon. If that's the question then the answer is yes, you'd just plumb the 1lb propane bottle to the fridge propane line. I don't know how long out would last, perhaps a few days? The Westy three gallon tank holds about 12 lbs of propane +\-.

Steve Arndt Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:48 am

North Westy has a kit:

http://north-westy.com/north-westy-parts/lp-elimination-kit

You can also go to a propane / bbq supply house and they can set you up.

xoo00oox Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:32 pm

The Westy Dometic fridge will only run for about 12 hours on a propane bottle. The modern 12v refrigerators are much more efficient.

msinabottle Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:44 pm

With my adapter rig, doped and tightened, Winston's Dometic and stove ran for two days on a 'double' canister with propane to spare. YMMV, I suppose.

Best!

izzydog Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:38 pm

I had a local propane company make me a short "rescue" hose for connecting 1lb bottles. It's long enough when attached, to let a 1lb propane bottle lay on the ground next to the van. I think it cost me around $15. (I call it a "rescue" hose because it rescued my breakfast one time when I ran out of propane right in the middle of cooking breakfast.)

The large fitting connects to the 1lb bottle and the small fitting connects to a "T" that is plumbed into the system BEFORE the van's propane regulator (2nd photo)The square thing in the middle of the photo is the plug that lives in the t-fitting when the rescue hose is not in use. I don't remember what size the small fitting on the hose is, but when you go to the propane place and ask them for a t-fitting that will fit "in-line" on your van, you can also have them match the t-fitting female port to the male fitting on the rescue hose.

Hope that all makes sense.