TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Sodo Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Subaru boxer fits well in the van, it fits better than the 1.8T. 1.8T completely fills the engine compartment.
Overfills actually.

But they drive like a dream, reall nice low end torque.
Tranny-killing torque. :shock:
I bet a 1.8T scares them worse than a Subaru.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: the truth is most volume shops don't want to mess around with

Is there a "volume shop" that will do ANY work on a vanagon other than oil change, brakes, alignment, battery, alternator?

Volume shops are mostly "out" anyway. If you have a vanagon, you need a Vanagon shop.

Zeitgeist 13 Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:29 pm

What scares a shop is a vehicke for which they have no knowledge, spare parts, hardware or reference materials--period.

The fact of the matter is that all those flippers out there are peddling garbage swaps marketing a peace of mind to hapless noobs, but the real world experience just ain't like that when you're on the road to #vanlife #blissfulfreedom #noworriesatall.

If you can service your own swaps, then your experiences will fluctuate according to your skills but if you're entirely at the mercy of a service network which varies as wildly as what we have here in NA, then roll a die and hope for some shred of positive outcomes.

Sodo Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:49 pm

I think a lot of hapless noobs are driving a lot more carefree miles with Subaru engines than if you plopped those same people into WBX vans.

It's a bit of a conundrum, harboring a WBX as a favor to your mechanic. Where the work is easier to comprehend, but you have to go there more often. I doubt if a WBX works out for the better. And you have to drive slower during this time too.

Engine conversions "saved" the Vanagon from dying off, actually caused it to thrive.

Zeitgeist 13 Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:27 pm

Ummm...I've owned seven VW vans (including four T3s) over the last thirty five years. Not one has ever left me stranded, while carrying me for tens of thousands of miles on stock Volkswagen engines. I'm not an expert, but then again, I'm not chopped liver either. If your offbrand engines are so great, I'm not sure why you're so defensive about one lone guy expressing his personal opinion about your poor choice in engines. I mean, it's just me here with a view nobody else agrees with; why do you bother?

BTW, my explanation about the dynamics of how shops approach engine swaps is entirely agnostic of the engine choice. A non-stock vehicle is always problematic when trying to find a mechanic to provide service. That's irrefutably fact-based and objective.

2dogs1van Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:40 pm

I drive a subaru powered syncro. Eion Monigold did the swap and he is happy to work on subaru engines. Great guy and great mechanic.
For the past 7 years I have driven a vanagon from Seattle to Florida and back every year. My first van was an '84 with the original waterboxer. I have broken down several times both in that van and my newer van. West of Colorado I never had trouble finding a mechanic to work on either van. But east of Colorado i found it much easier to get a mechanic to service a modern subaru engine than a 35 year old waterboxer. I would never go back to the waterboxer.
And as an aside, what's with all the F bombs and "s***" when discussing Subaru powered vans? No need. My young nephew reads the Samba. I told him it was one of the few civilized corners left on the internet. I'll quit here if profanity becomes commonplace.

Abscate Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:45 am

Bigger picture outside of the VW vs other brand debate..

In the five year picture I think there is an upheaval In the repair business coming, And independents will be closing in droves.

I already see them collapsing to brakes, oil, timing belt, exhaust “ only” shops.

djkeev Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:16 am

Wow!
What a night in "Vanagon land"!!!

It seems that one of our Pacific Time members decided to have a crap fest in this thread...... long after I fell asleep here in the East.

I awoke to many PM's in my inbox about it.

I deleted posts, responded to PM's and dealt with the Western Member.

Just a reminder that we do not tolerate the use of profane or abusive language nor do we allow publicly attacking members on this site.

We've had similar problems in the past and as you go through old threads you will occasionally see "banned" as a members status.
These members made it a sport to harass members and violate rules despite repeated warnings. The same can easily happen yet again.

To those that PM'd me, thank you for your concerns and alerting us to the situation.

BTW ...... link to the rules.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4

Dave

Sodo Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:57 am

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: BTW, my explanation about the dynamics of how shops approach engine swaps is entirely agnostic of the engine choice. A non-stock vehicle is always problematic when trying to find a mechanic to provide service. That's irrefutably fact-based and objective.

I agree with this. But I suspect a VW 1.8T and TDi conversion are perhaps more "problematic" to find a shop willing to work on it, than an EJ22/25 (at least in the PNW).

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: Ummm...I've owned seven VW vans (including four T3s) over the last thirty five years. Not one has ever left me stranded, while carrying me for tens of thousands of miles on stock Volkswagen engines. I'm not an expert, but then again, I'm not chopped liver either. If your offbrand engines are so great, I'm not sure why you're so defensive about one lone guy expressing his personal opinion about your poor choice in engines. I mean, it's just me here with a view nobody else agrees with; why do you bother?

BTW, my explanation about the dynamics of how shops approach engine swaps is entirely agnostic of the engine choice. A non-stock vehicle is always problematic when trying to find a mechanic to provide service. That's irrefutably fact-based and objective.

Your vehicles work because you pay attention, plus have the skills to keep them in good working order, and the money, and the ability to see the right maintenance before problems; than what most people do.....after problems. Cuz it's your hobby. I understand that, but you're a lone guy in that regard too. Your method does not and cannot apply to the general Van populace. Some, but not #vanlife.

I would actually prefer that all the vanagons that I might buy in the future would be un-molested, so conversions pain me similarly. I'd like to start at zero. Selfishly, if they're non-running the price is less. In the same way I don't want to pay an inflated price for a cowboy-rebuilt WBX (or crap transaxle). A homebuilt TDI that's been lugged by an a "4-speed" driver that doesn't understand has its risks too.

OTOH it helps me some that lots of people (unlike you and myself) attribute "value" value to my van being Subaru powered, rather than a detriment. Subaru is a little forgiving, that it doesn't have a big-fat low end, so those who don't rev it out, aren't taxing the trans so much, (as long as they don't lug it).

Zeitgeist 13 Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:04 am

Sorry the Port Manteau dialect is a little harsh for tender eyeballs. I'll try to write the Queen's Engrish with a tad less brogue. Other than that my contempt remains undaunted.

Sodo Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:18 am

I know this doesn't happen often but consider starting your own thread and choose a subject that your contempt aligns with?
These are good discussions, but it doesn't help people discuss this thread's topic, which is necessary for Vanagon ownership these days.
It would be MUCH better in YOUR thread.

It's "Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions?" just in case clarification is needed.
Many Samba members need this information, to keep their vans as trouble-free as yours.
If that's even possible.

To contribute positively, perhaps just "daunt the off-topic dialect"?
Just trying to help.
I am not a psychiatrist so take that with a grain of salt (or metal dust).

When a Samba member has a problem and needs a mechanic (under duress) would appreciate the deletion of every post that doesn't have an actual shop info.

djkeev Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:29 am

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: Sorry the Port Manteau dialect is a little harsh for tender eyeballs. I'll try to write the Queen's Engrish with a tad less brogue. Other than that my contempt remains undaunted.

You may have contempt, you may express your contempt in a civil manner.

You may not be cussing, swearing at and attacking those who disagree with your contempt filled view point in this thread or any other forum on this site.

Dave

jimf909 Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:44 am

djkeev wrote: Wow!
What a night in "Vanagon land"!!!

BTW ...... link to the rules.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4

Dave

Thanks for cleaning up after me, Dave. I apologize for the senseless misbehavior.

Zeitgeist 13 Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:46 am

I appreciate the arbitrary and capricious application of the "rules", but nobody in this thread was attacked by me or anyone else. Attacking someone implies using threatening language or ad hominem references applied to living individuals via their pseudonyms.* My contempt is for inanimate objects, which is only offensive to those for whom those inanimate objects hold curious value...except for the potty talk; that offends tender eyeballs.

Anyone who's been here for a while will know that I joke around about 98% of the time, so any cantankerousness should be viewed with that in mind.

*I know a thing or two about the topic, as I was an Off Topic moderator for eight years on a similarly sized MB site, and frequently had to intervene during bare-knuckled sh...uh, poop-fests all the time. What took place in here last night was what we called in the bidness, a difference of opinions expressed with spice.

djkeev Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:49 am

Well, take your spice from hot to mild please.

This isn't your MB site of yesteryear.

Dave

kamzcab86 Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Sodo wrote: It's "Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions?" just in case clarification is needed.
Many Samba members need this information...

Exactly. This BS about whether cross-brand conversions are appropriate is for a myriad of other topics that have already argued over it. This thread is asking for specific information, not to rehash the tired argument. If you hate non-VW conversions, fine; that's your opinion -- but here's a suggestion: don't open those threads!!

Sodo wrote: When a Samba member has a problem and needs a mechanic (under duress) would appreciate the deletion of every post that doesn't have an actual shop info.

I'm *this* close to doing exactly that. If this BS continues, more posts will be deleted. If it continues after that... thread lock. In the meantime, I put a list of shops in the OP, including some outside of the PNW. If anyone has additional inter/national shops to add, feel free to post up and we'll add 'em to the list, and perhaps we'll change the topic title to reflect said list.

Zeitgeist 13 Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:57 pm

pnwkayaker Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:07 pm

kamzcab86,

Based on what 2dogs1van said earlier in the thread, it looks like Eion Monigold (owner of Eion's Automotive) also works on Subaru engine - could you please also add him to the list that you added in the OP post?

Eion did some work in my Syncro a while ago (while still at TecShop) and his work was top notch - great guy also. At that point he was doing Zetec conversions, looks like he has expanded to Subaru conversions too.

kamzcab86 wrote: In the meantime, I put a list of shops in the OP, including some outside of the PNW. If anyone has additional inter/national shops to add, feel free to post up and we'll add 'em to the list, and perhaps we'll change the topic title to reflect said list.

kamzcab86 Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:35 pm

pnwkayaker wrote: Based on what 2dogs1van said earlier in the thread, it looks like Eion Monigold (owner of Eion's Automotive) also works on Subaru engine - could you please also add him to the list that you added in the OP post?

Added. :D

Samaleshi Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:48 am

Russ at T and R Automotive in Salem, Or works on conversions.

EJ25 FTMFW BTW

aircooledonly Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:56 pm

The cam seal replacement is easy. Hardest part is removing the crank pulley. You can easily remove the seal after the cam gear is removed. There are many how to videos on youtube for this procedure on EJ25's. I just replaced both cam seals on my daughters 2006 outback. Air tools, impact gun with a 22mm socket, 14mm socket, 10mm socket, a small flat tip srew driver to walk the seal out, and a socket with diameter big enough to drive in the new seal and you are done. You might as well change the timing belt and tensioners while you are at it if this has not been done.