TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Military 181
Rev. Scott Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Having some troubles navigating my new toy. I have lots of literature...all in German of course. Can anyone direct me to a group/club/on-lline forum that that focus's mainly on the 181...in English? Lets start with the seven position light switch. First two clicks to the left are running lights and then headlights. Moving to the right the uper two positions seem to do the same thing (both position try to make the blackout lights work...what do the other two (lower right positions do?) I'm really lost on this and it doesn't seem to match any schematic I've found yet...and as you have by now gathered...I'm trying to sort out old wiring and some of it has been "fixed" at some point or another in it's life. Thanks in advance for what help you might be or a nod in the right direction. Cheers!

mondshine Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:38 pm

I have this, but no guarantees.

Rev. Scott Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Thanks. I do have a '72 (my year) military wiring diagram...in english no less. It is close to what I'm looking at. I'm mostly trying to figure out what position of the switch is supposed to serve what function. Some things appear to have been rearranged over the years. I of course have many other military 181 questions...but first things first (pun intended?). Thanks again.

Niedersachse Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:51 am

Hello.

If You are still searching for the functions of the switch:

"Tag" (Day): All daytime consumers (Wiper, stop lights, turn signals, control lights).
"1": "Tag" plus parking lights, rear lights.
"2": "Tag" & "1" plus headlights

"0": All daytime consumers and "1" and "2" are shut off. In the cluster, only the lights for generator and oil pressure are working.
"S1": Blackout brake light (The single one on the rear lid).
"S2": Blackout headlights
"S3": Blackout headlights, blackout rear lights, blackout brake light.

As they said: S1 is for attacking, S2 for running away, S3 for the parade :wink: .

Greetings from a fellow military Thing owner!

Rev. Scott Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:30 pm

Clearest I've heard yet. There has been some rather creative wiring done here. Now I know what to attack. Thank you very much! Cheers!

Rev. Scott Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Now I have the high-low horns and the warning lamp. I have a source for the relay. Now I need the elusive three position emergency switch...mine only does the warning lamp. Any help? Lord I need a European VW friend. Cheers!

Niedersachse Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:41 pm

You need the switch No. 211951275A. The one You can pull and turn.

VW Classic Parts seems to have them in stock, a little bit pricey maybe: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/schalter-3993db.html

They also have the parts catalogues online:

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Typ181/html5.html#/2

Index pages are in german, but the part’s description in the catalogues is in german/english/french. Comes in handy if you need a part-number for your search on e-bay etc.