TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Duncan's 1971 Squareback thread Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
ataraxia Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:56 pm

blues90 wrote: I'd still carry the stock distributor just in case. I went back to points from a pertronix because if points fail you can at least get home. Especially where the condenser is mounted on a 73 no way to get at it without removing the distributor. It uses the left screw on that secures the vacuum can.

I hope the 123 works out well. I like electronic replacements I just don't trust them any more.

I've used the Pertronix system, stock points and the 123 distributor in (two different engines) and it's a great distributor. Very easy to tune, consistent and has excellent build quality. There are a lot of mediocre aftermarket parts for these cars but the 123ignition distributor, in my opinion/experience, is a very well made part that was worth the cost.

notchboy Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:50 pm

gt1953 wrote: What kinda steering wheel do you have on that ride?

The stock one with a full circle horn ring.

blues90 Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:42 pm

Mr.Duncan wrote: Started cleaning up a bit of rust today on the roof.

First ground it down, then treated the surface with OSPHO

As it was:

Ground down:

Ospho:

Also replaced the nylon washers/bushings on my heaterbox control lever as the OG ones turned to dust pretty much. Nice to have working heat!

Where did you get the heater lever washers from?

Mr.Duncan Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:38 am

blues90 wrote:

Ace Hardware, Nylon washers in the hardware section.

blues90 Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:23 am

Mr.Duncan wrote: blues90 wrote:

Ace Hardware, Nylon washers in the hardware section.

We used to have ACE hardware here haven't seen one in a while.

I'll need to measure one that's still good . the 2 on the heat or left one fell apart so now the heat will not stay up. I don't think the originals were nylon didn't think nylon turned yellow then fell apart. Don't know what there were made of.

ISP has them yet foe 4 shipped it's $16.

Mr.Duncan Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:41 am

Squareback has been getting some sweet MPG's

blues90 Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:51 am

Mr.Duncan wrote: Squareback has been getting some sweet MPG's

Try 3.999 per gallon here in good old CA.

Mr.Duncan Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:44 am

Not too much going on here lately.

Changed my oil, painted the sump plate.

Just driving and enjoying the car. Put it up on a lift for a quick inspection.

Mr.Duncan Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:14 am

Went to a car show in Katy, TX this past weekend. Only Type 3 to show up. 8)

notchboy Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:44 am

My favorite kind of show - where you are in with the Hot Rod guys. I love seeing these guys wifes get all weak in the knees seeing cute little German numbers. 8) :lol:

heimlich Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:25 pm

I was at the car show around 10:30AM. I spoke with a couple other Beetle owners.

Where are you buying your gas? It's down to $1.76 at Sam's close to me.

Erik G Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:43 pm

heimlich wrote:
Where are you buying your gas? It's down to $1.76 at Sam's close to me.

dang, lowest I've seen in the loop is 1.99 but no sams around

sjbartnik Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:10 pm

Mr.Duncan wrote:

Lookin good! Nice and dry under there :D

Mr.Duncan Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:41 am

Moved into my first house yesterday, currently got the squareback parked outside as I will be coating the garage floor in epoxy.

heimlich Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:19 am

Mr.Duncan wrote: Moved into my first house yesterday, currently got the squareback parked outside as I will be coating the garage floor in epoxy.

Congratulations! Rates are really good right now. Looks like you got a brand new one too.

Bobnotch Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:04 pm

Mr.Duncan wrote: Moved into my first house yesterday, currently got the squareback parked outside as I will be coating the garage floor in epoxy.

Congrats on the new house. 8) Having a place with a garage is always nice, I should know as I have one myself. :wink:
The Square looks good sitting out front like that too. Like it belongs there. :D

Mr.Duncan Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:57 am

Picked up a nice NOS radio to install this weekend in the Squareback.

Mr.Duncan Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:43 pm

Not much going on here, way to hot out to do much of anything.

Installed the 123 ignition which replaced my stock distributor.

I chose advance curve #8 as it has the same part number and curve as the 1972 model year 311-905-205 AF / Bosch# 0231 172 011 distributor. (used for both standard and automatic transmissions)

Timed it per the book to 5* BTDC at idle. Then hooked up my vacuum hose.

So much smoother.

Mike Fisher Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:31 am

Tram was working on my car the other day and said we should put a 123 ignition on this car.
I hemmed & hawed about $300! Got home and wifey told me not to be so cheap and just Do It! =D>

Mr.Duncan Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:43 am

Mike Fisher wrote: Tram was working on my car the other day and said we should put a 123 ignition on this car.
I hemmed & hawed about $300! Got home and wifey told me not to be so cheap and just Do It! =D>

Hey the wife approved, DO IT. 8) Make sure you get the DJET one.

Yeah, I really didn't want to pay $300 for NOS FI trigger points.

Also spent around $200 ($30-$40 per pop) on used FI trigger points.

Just so hard to find those parts.