TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Free advice, please (Yeah ...I know what its worth!!)
Digger89L Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:43 pm

Just rescued a 66 sunroof bug from going to the crusher ...don't really need it, but I paid a fair price, and it was the right thing to do (I think ...). The roof and all parts (even the handle) are all there, but the lower part of the body would need a LOT work to get it back on the road. It would be doable, though. Front fenders are missing (came 67 and 68's) ...rear fenders are 'cut' for wider tires. For some reason, it came with a 1966 1200cc engine (D0494349) ..but the engine is apart. I'm working on a 66 Deluxe right now, but have no desire to try to graft in a sunroof. So ...should I try to sell it 'as-is' ...or part it out?

Pruneman99 Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:46 pm

You can send me all the sunroof parts, I won't mind :lol:

If the rust is really bad, part it. If you think someone would want to make a project of it, sell it off in one go.

Maybe a few pictures would help.

hitest Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:57 pm

Sunroofs can't be as popular in CA as they are in the US. I'd part it out- cut it at the pillars and send the rest to the scrapper.

KTPhil Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:25 pm

Best grafting is done by peeling the roof and cutting/welding at the pillars, so I agree, chop it about 6 inches below the roof on the A/B/C pillars, and also include the metal drain tubes, too.

Digger89L Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Finally got the position where I could take a few pics of the vehicle under discussion. The front apron is crunched a bit on the passenger side, and the rear apron will need replacing. floor pans are typical for a 20 year field-find. Sunroof section, inside and out looks really decent. It came with both rear seat sections, and 2 fronts seats (earlier than 66 though). No fenders or bumpers. As I said, engine is out and in pieces. Still pondering my next move ....

67ctbug Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:41 pm

I would save it... but I’m not normal :lol:

TDCTDI Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:52 pm

Toss a set of pans in it, lop off the ends & toss a narrow eye kit on it & bomb around the trails in it. EVERYONE needs a beater. That way you could be buggin in the shitty weather too.

Digger89L Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:12 pm

67ctbug wrote: I would save it... but I’m not normal :lol:

Those were my thoughts, too ...after going thru and checking it out more thoroughly. I think I'll go ahead and advertise it here on the Classifieds, and perhaps next door in Alberta, ....the market is better there than here in SK.

klroger Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:57 am

If you are parting it out, I would be very interested in the 4 way flasher switch if you could get the knob off without it breaking (like mine did when I painted the car). I'm in Ontario btw..

Thanks, Roger

Ceckert64 Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:16 pm

I would save it, my 64 sunroof was in a bit worse condition and I’m saving it. If you don’t want it, I’d buy your the gas heater that’s in it

TDCTDI Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:26 am

And the vultures begin circling.

Pruneman99 Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:42 pm

TDCTDI wrote: And the vultures begin circling.

Yep.

Better than it going to the crusher. It can donate it's parts to help other bugs live on.

I'd seriously ask about the sunroof parts, but shipped and import tax would make it not worth it. I'm sure I can find some here in SoCal when I get to that point.

Digger89L Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:09 pm

I have it listed in theSamba Classifieds now, and on Kijiji.ca. Lots of views and and one local inquiry. I'll post updates.