TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help with solving my soft top problem
911pickup Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:20 pm

As you can see by my photos below there is a considerable gap between the soft top and the top of the windows.
Is there a way to get the top to sit lower? I know that I'll eventually need a new top, for for now I'm just looking for a way to get rid of the huge gap.

CraigInPA Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:53 am

Is your windshield frame bent down? This can cause what you're seeing.

mgwerks Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:00 am

This is exactly what mine is doing. Hope to investigate this weekend. It doesn't appear that the windshield angle is off. I believe some top members may be bent, however.

74 Thing Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:39 am

Your windshield looks in line with your side curtains. It could be your top frame. Open the top frame with the top rolled up sitting on top. The side are to run on the top of the side curtains.

GI Joe Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:07 am

911pickup, Your side rails on the top frame are bent. This happens over time, as the top material shrinks, and begins to put unnecessary pressure on the less than robust factory rails. Some folks have had luck straightening their rails and adding a stiffener kit, while the rest of us just by a new Thing Shop “beefed up” top frame. Your options are a lot of work, or a bit of money spent...

[email protected] Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:40 pm

This:
https://www.thingparts.com/top-frame-reinforcement-stiffening-kit/
Accompanied by this:
https://www.thingparts.com/top-frame-killer-reinforcement-kit-stainless-steel/

Otherwise try a ratchet strap attached to the side of frame and down to the bottom of the front seat
Then start ratcheting it into place SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY

mgwerks Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:41 pm

74 Thing wrote: Your windshield looks in line with your side curtains. It could be your top frame. Open the top frame with the top rolled up sitting on top. The side are to run on the top of the side curtains.
Here's the odd thing. I rolled the top up if off the frame, and then slid the straps sideways off of the bows, removing all stressors on the frame. It then laid flat as it its supposed to, with one exception - the front bow for the top of the windshield lands FORWARD of the windshiel by almost an inch! Yes, the windshield is in the proper angle, and matches the profile of the side curtains, it just acts as if the frame is too long for the car. Sliding the front bow back so it can latch on the windshield causes the frame to bend up in the middle again. Bear in mind this it's all without the top fabric or web straps installed, just the bare frame.
I can understand&a to shrinking over time can tweak thre frame, but not what appears to have lengthened it when it is under no stress at all.
Gotta work with it, can't afford a new one any time soon. Ideas?

wbailey2112 Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:35 am

Unlatch the bottom of your windshield frame on both sides, line up and latch the top frame to the top of the windshield frame and then re-latch your windshield frame on the bottom. Your windshield frame angle is also off probably due to grabbing it to exit the front seat. Not an uncommon occurrence. You can purchase special brackets that bolt next to the windshield frame latches to correct the angle of the windshield frame and strengthen it. Thing Parts (Mike Basso) and The Thing Shop both carry these support brackets as I recall.

Deckard Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:03 am

I see a couple of issues:
Your side rails are really bent; they need to run parallel to the window frame tops. It does look like top shrinkage has taken its toll

The straps which tie the rear bow to the car are not the factory and they may have been cut the wrong size, which will cause fit issues.

Try taking out the yellow straps and see where things line up. Pun intended

mgwerks Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:16 pm

wbailey2112 wrote: Unlatch the bottom of your windshield frame on both sides, line up and latch the top frame to the top of the windshield frame and then re-latch your windshield frame on the bottom. Your windshield frame angle is also off probably due to grabbing it to exit the front seat. Not an uncommon occurrence. You can purchase special brackets that bolt next to the windshield frame latches to correct the angle of the windshield frame and strengthen it. Thing Parts (Mike Basso) and The Thing Shop both carry these support brackets as I recall.
With the top completely down, and the the windshield latched, it lines up perfectly with the side curtains, so I think windshield flex is not the issue. I'll revisit this in a couple of weeks with better pictures and maybe a clearer explanation.

Q-Dog Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:50 am

Very clear from this image the windshield leans rearward more than it is supposed to. The gap at the window frame is wide at the bottom and non-existant at the top.