TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: username tagging?
edgood1 Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:10 am

Would it be possible to add username tagging so that if someone posted something like @edgood1 it would automatically add a link to their profile, and maybe send an email notification that they were mentioned in a post?

EverettB Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:42 am

I will see if there is some add-on that does it.

hazetguy Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:04 am

i realize this is a somewhat older thread, but i hope this "feature" is NOT added to the samba.
on other forums i read and/or participate on, this "feature" adds A LOT of unnecessary clutter, a ton of 'notifications' (yes, there are ways to opt out of receiving them, but still...), completely ridiculous posts of simpy the "@username" tag with no other content just to draw the attention of a particular user, and makes posts look utterly ridiculous with clickable 'tags' throughout.
to be completely blunt, there are two specific forums i had to quit because of all the 'tagging'. it overtook normal posting and got completely out of control. it made threads unreadable or so clusterfawked full of tags that it was just too annoying to have to sift through all the tags to find actual content.

please DO NOT add this "feature"!!!

and for the love of anything sacred, do not ever add 'likes' to the Samba. this is not farcebook.

62DoKaGuy Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:46 am

hazetguy wrote: i realize this is a somewhat older thread, but i hope this "feature" is NOT added to the samba.
on other forums i read and/or participate on, this "feature" adds A LOT of unnecessary clutter, a ton of 'notifications' (yes, there are ways to opt out of receiving them, but still...), completely ridiculous posts of simpy the "@username" tag with no other content just to draw the attention of a particular user, and makes posts look utterly ridiculous with clickable 'tags' throughout.
to be completely blunt, there are two specific forums i had to quit because of all the 'tagging'. it overtook normal posting and got completely out of control. it made threads unreadable or so clusterfawked full of tags that it was just too annoying to have to sift through all the tags to find actual content.

please DO NOT add this "feature"!!!

and for the love of anything sacred, do not ever add 'likes' to the Samba. this is not farcebook.

I concur with @Jon haha. All joking aside, I second the motion to NOT have that feature added. Let those other social media shitbags have it their way - keep TheSamba status quo.

hazetguy Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:04 am

@62DoKaGuy =D>

(and yeah, the tagging 'feature' added A LOT of "tag & smiley" posts too. ugh)

kreemoweet Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:05 am

This forum's Private Messaging system works well to notify particular users. So tagging
would not only be ugly, it is completely redundant as well.

EverettB Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:37 am

Thanks for the feedback

There was no add-on to do it that I found that didn't seem to be trouble-free so I didn't look further into it.

I agree it would be annoying if people starting only posting messages just to tag others to bring attention to a post and all the possible notifications from that

The easier linking to a particular person's profile could be useful but I don't find myself doing that super often.
I primarily link more to other threads or ads/photos on the site.

sunroof Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:05 pm

Well. So much for that idea.

Don