TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Do not jack up the car to adjust valves? Page: 1, 2  Next
daveswoodcraft Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Hi have read in a couple of places not to jack up the car when adjusting the valves, is this correct and what is the reasoning behind it if it is?

At 59 years old and not a small guy it would be some much easier to follow all normal safety precautions, jack the car up a little and have some room to maneuver a little.

Thanks
Dave

Cusser Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:42 pm

I jack up the right side a little (keeping the wheels on the ground) to adjust #1 and #2 valves. Then I do similar on the left side to do #3 and #4.

Why?
2. To provide more access room

1. To minimize/eliminate any oil leakage/mess

Glenn Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:43 pm

I jack the car up. After 45 years i've never had a problem.

gt1953 Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:37 pm

I role mine up on some ramps the night before. This does create more space to work comfortably. So in the event you do jack you car up, us the proper jack points.

Q-Dog Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:43 pm

I have never heard of this and can't imagine what it could hurt. I drive the car onto ramps the night before. Guess I've been doing it wrong for over 40 years.

Zundfolge1432 Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:05 pm

Probably comes from someone who placed the floor jack under the oil drain plate. Doing this pushes engine up into the body making the valve covers very hard to take off.. just a guess

manoteal Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:20 pm

I put the car in solid blocks of wood under the wheels with brake set and in gear to drain the oil when warm and then do the valves next morning when cold- keeps it level and on all four wheels for oil change. (I take it out of gear to adjust the valves to turn the motor, however, and drop and block front wheels for that.
I can adjust the valves and drain the oil on the ground but much more difficult for me and my large size.
Been doing it this way for 47 years on level ground. I use jack stands for brake adjustments, though- and engine pulls...

Cusser Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Zundfolge1432 wrote: Probably comes from someone who placed the floor jack under the oil drain plate. Doing this pushes engine up into the body making the valve covers very hard to take off.. just a guess

That's a great guess !

Tim Donahoe Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Also, you can’t go back into the pool until a half hour after you eat. And eating ice cream in the summer causes polio.

Tim

73SlowBug Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Sometimes I jack the car up, sometimes I don't. It doesnt seem to matter. It's quicker not to get out the jack, but it's easier to work with the car lifted. It depends on which kind of lazy you want to be, but it doesn't matter.

Meiang Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:13 pm

Buy a 2 post hoist. Easy for when you are getting older.

You can even have a seat to sit on and a tinny by your side.

heimlich Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:59 pm

I do whatever is easiest. If I have to jack the car I put supports under it along with the jack.

carsdlt Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:27 pm

I jack up the car - lower both sides down on jack stands - remove rear wheels and go to work...change the oil, clean the screen, adjust the valves and rear brake shoes, check the clutch cable and visually look things over. Much easier to do with the back end up and wheels off.

Ovally Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:15 pm

40 years ago I made a grease pit in the garage, very handy for working under the car.
Can also jack up the car from the grease pit.

Regards.

Murmsk Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:00 am

Another idea on why.
Im not stickin more than my arm under a car on a jack! Just not a good idea.

ramps or jack stands before this old guys adjusts anything.

s

scottyrocks Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:44 am

I'll jack it up, but put a jackstand under the torsion tube, as well.

daveswoodcraft Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:03 am

Thanks everyone

It was just what I figured, I could not see a reason to not jack up the car to adjust the valves, but being totally new to bugs I thought maybe I was missing something. And I always chock the wheels and use jack stands if I jack up a car. Watched a friend of mine come very close to being crushed in the 70's just as I was driving into his driveway, I have never taken that chance.

Thanks again

bluebus86 Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 am

daveswoodcraft wrote: Hi have read in a couple of places not to jack up the car when adjusting the valves, is this correct and what is the reasoning behind it if it is?

At 59 years old and not a small guy it would be some much easier to follow all normal safety precautions, jack the car up a little and have some room to maneuver a little.

Thanks
Dave

I suppose jacking the Bug say with nose down at to steep an angle could shift the oil level such that it could then flow thru the front most pushrod tubes, thus filling the head under the covers with oil such that oil may pour out when cover is removed.

I adjust them usually on level ground not jacked up, but have done it with the rear raised too, but not at to steep an angle. I am a bit of a midget so working room is a not a problem for me.

Bug On!

ashman40 Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 am

One comments related to jacking and the valve covers... but it is opposite of what you have read...
In the normal operation of the engine the crank shaft rotates CW (as seen from the rear of the car). This means the lower side of the crank slings oil to the left side of the engine. While running this can literally fill the left side rocker area with oil. After you shutdown the engine a few minutes are needed for the oil to flow back into the case. We are not talking a ton of oil, just a few ounces. But opening the right side valve cover almost never drips more than a few drops.
To avoid this you could lift the left rear side of the car and leave it higher than the right for a few minutes BEFORE you open the cover. This will allow the oil to drain back into the case reducing the dripping once you open the cover. When placing the car on jack stands (which I encourage)... jack the left side FIRST so the head can drain into the crankcase.

The only rule I strictly follow when it comes to adjusting the valves is only making valve gap measurements on a COLD engine (allowed to cool overnight COLD). I feel even starting the engine for 10sec to roll it forward 5ft would compromise the valve gap measurements.

If you have to move the car into a position where you can do the valve adjustments, do it the night before... or roll it in place by pushing. DO NOT start the engine to move it.

heimlich Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:49 am

Make use of all of those mail order boxes that you recycle. Lay them down to catch any oil that drips.