TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 3 Alternator install
68FA$TY Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:52 pm

Does anyone have a solution to installing a Alternator on a type 3. Got the 68 fasty...purchased a type 3 alternator kit...installed it according to the vague directions that came with it and I can't get the gen light to go off...while the car is running I can unplug the battery and she still runs, however the light still shines brightly...and when I turn the car off I hear a faint whine on the alternator...again any suggestions to remedy the situation...?

old_man Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:55 pm

Do you have pictures of your install? What did you do with the voltage regulator and associated wiring? Do you have a multimeter you can use to trouble shoot? Which kit did you buy? Oh, and welcome to The Samba.

Bobnotch Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:52 am

old_man wrote: Do you have pictures of your install? What did you do with the voltage regulator and associated wiring? Do you have a multimeter you can use to trouble shoot? Which kit did you buy? Oh, and welcome to The Samba.

THIS^^. You probably have the gen light wired wrong. It's also possible that the stock VR is still wired in place.
I'm pretty sure someone did a wiring pic set or at least a write up to installing an alt in a type3. A search should bring it up.

Air_Cooled_Nut Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:43 pm

http://www.aircoolednut.com/erkson/ttt/engine/gen2alt.htm

sjbartnik Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:48 pm

68FA$TY wrote: while the car is running I can unplug the battery and she still runs,

Hi don't do that. That's a quick way to kill your new alternator.

68FA$TY Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:24 pm

Gents...I really appreciate the feedback about my Question...I still haven't addressed the problem with the alternator install, but thanks for the directions...Since the Fasty isn't my primary means of transportation I still have it in the garage face down @$$ up...LOL...and I started building another engine for it....1800cc...74mm C/W crank...88mm machine in P's & C's, hydraulic lifters, Mild (Webb) hydraulic cam , stock heads hand/matched ported to a set of 40 IDF Webbers, Compression Ratio 8.02:1, 1700lb Kennedy clutch all flowing through a 3:88 freeway flyer trans...and as soon as I got everything together, finished building my exhaust...This Covid-19 stuff hit and all my leisure tinkering time ended...as I am on the front lines in the VA healthcare system...thanks for all the info...and Stay safe out there..

68FA$TY Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:45 pm

Bobnotch Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:51 pm

68FA$TY wrote: Gents...I really appreciate the feedback about my Question...I still haven't addressed the problem with the alternator install, but thanks for the directions...Since the Fasty isn't my primary means of transportation I still have it in the garage face down @$$ up...LOL...and I started building another engine for it....1800cc...74mm C/W crank...88mm machine in P's & C's, hydraulic lifters, Mild (Webb) hydraulic cam , stock heads hand/matched ported to a set of 40 IDF Webbers, Compression Ratio 8.02:1, 1700lb Kennedy clutch all flowing through a 3:88 freeway flyer trans...and as soon as I got everything together, finished building my exhaust...This Covid-19 stuff hit and all my leisure tinkering time ended...as I am on the front lines in the VA healthcare system...thanks for all the info...and Stay safe out there..

Sounds like a nice engine build you've planned.

As for the wiring to the alt, you'll need a hot wire to the alt from the battery. You can either bring this over directly from the battery, or join it with the big red wires at the VR location. Speaking of, if you decide to use the existing wires, then you'll want to connect the lead from the battery to the wire going to the front of the car with the one to the alt in the rear of the car (use those 3). Then re-use the green gen wire at the engine, and connect it with the blue dash wire, and you should be done.

Now, I'll say right now I don't know how the PO set up your wiring, which means you can go with an alternate set up, where the red rear wire in the harness goes to the alt (formerly gen wire), and it connects to the red wire going to the front like normal. Then bring another thick red wire from the battery to the alternator. This gives you battery power to the fuse box. Then it's a matter of connecting the green wire (gen light at generator) to the blue wire to the warning light. We did this on my son's car when he went with a type 4 motor 2 summers ago, as it has an alt instead of a generator. I hope this helps.

68FA$TY Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:08 pm

I found the Problem...there was a break in the Main Wire...and...I had it hooked up Bass Ackwards...That's what I get for being in a hurry trying to hook it up in the cold Illinois weather and snow. Hey Bob I really appreciate the diagram and the instructions...they helped 10 fold...MacDaddy Out!!!

68FA$TY Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:16 am

Greetings Gents...Haven't heard from U guys in a Tic...as for me, things are so crazy in the Lab with the Covid 19 starting to re-surg sometimes I don't know if I am coming or going..One Good thing though...I got Oliver Back Up and on the Road...Found the problem with the alternator...(Melted Wire)...it's hence been replaced with a higher gage wire, and we are back on the road. Got a appointment tomorrow to get new tires (Old ones are dry rotted between the treads)...and he's 100% road worthy...Hey I would like to thank U guys for all the help..(bobnotch...air cooled nut...sjbartnik….and old man)...MacDaddy out!!!

jonnyjungle Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:37 pm

This is the kit i got here in NZ:

https://themetricnut.co.nz/store/index.php?route=p...amp;page=2

Might give you an idea on how the bracket works. When it was installed they had to grind and level out a-little section on the fan housing - will find a photo and upload...

68FA$TY Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:30 am