TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How to keep roof rack feet/clamps from scratching new paint?
blitzkrieg59 Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:42 pm

Picking up my Bus next week with a brand new paint job and I'm putting my VWoA 3/4 rack on top as soon as I can for multiple reasons. I just picked up some plasti-dip to coat the feet and clamps with, but I'm wondering if anybody has any better ideas on how to keep the rack of boogering up my new paint.

sled Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:55 pm

use rubber hose over the feet, and plastic dip (thick) the clamps as you mention.

get a few people to help you set the rack on the bus. Pull the feet down into the gutter tight, then tighten the clamp. Don't use the clamp to suck the feet down (if they are held up the roof skin at all). Make sure all the clamps are tight, as the rack will wiggle slightly in the wind, or with a load on it, and scuff the paint over time.

but ultimately they will show signs of wear eventually...

blitzkrieg59 Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:10 pm

Thanks, Sled!

flemcadiddlehopper Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:06 pm

You could also buy some of the 3M clear protective film and lay it in the gutter and under where the clamps attach. The film can be removed and replaced as needed and no damage to your paint, even over time, should occur.

Gordo.

Drew Ogden Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:11 pm

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...rack+clamp

Bulli Klinik Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:01 am

I've used plati-dip and it works great. Be sure to apply in thin coats. A heavy coat will shrink and lift. I also use it on my motorcycle brake/clutch levers and other things.

hitest Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:11 pm

flemcadiddlehopper wrote: You could also buy some of the 3M clear protective film and lay it in the gutter and under where the clamps attach. The film can be removed and replaced as needed and no damage to your paint, even over time, should occur.

Gordo.

This is the best answer (though coat the rack parts of course). The idea is to have the protection on the surface that's fixed. The rain gutters aren't going anywhere- but the rack is shimmying around ever-so slightly all the time.

j.pickens Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:47 pm

Unfortunately, every repainted bus I've encountered has "weak" paint when compared to original paint. I would expect some damage no matter what you do, though the suggestions above will help to minimize it.
The original factory paint was some tough sh*t!