TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Thing Transmission
Mike Sal Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:56 pm

I'm told Thing tranny's are lower geared that standard bugs. I'm trying to find a way to gear down my reproduction Kubelwagen (built from a '72 chassis).

Anyone in the mid-west have one for sale? I've seen some advertised, but they are either on the left or right coast & I'm in Illinois. Can they be shipped safely?
thanks
Mike S

mondshine Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:04 pm

Here's what I have on 181 gear ratios from the workshop manual:
1st gear 3.78
2nd gear 2.06
3rd gear 1.26
4th gear 0.93
Reverse 3.79
Final drive ratio 4.125
I have used a few Beetle transaxles on Things with success. The only major difference is the OD size of the drive flanges, so keep your original flanges for the transplant. If your Kubel replicant is really a Beetle chassis, then the CV joints are probably beetle size (or maybe it's a swing axle)
If you are a hot dog, most of the transaxle suppliers offer strengthening upgrades, if you think them necessary.
My choice would be a late, single side cover case; I prefer the late style release bearing (with the guide tube). Just make sure you have a compatible nose cone for the front mount.

The big suppliers that specialize in rebuilding these transaxles ship them all over the country by the bushel.
Mine have always arrived perfectly intact in very heavy duty cardboard "crates" that could be re-used to return a core if required.

Good luck, Mondshine

[email protected] Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:43 pm

https://www.thingparts.com/transaxle-vw-thing-transmission-av-coded/
$45 shipping