TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Which Big Brake Kit? Page: 1, 2  Next
SurfaceRust Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:57 pm

A few weeks back I took a trip up to the Tioga Pass entrance of Yosemite in my Van (1987 Westfalia). For those who are unfamiliar, this is highest highway pass in California and has over 3,000ft of elevation change over a short distance. The van made it up ok (in a low gear) but on the way down I started noticing a burning smell, and pull off to the side of the road. Upon exiting the van, I quickly determined the smell was coming from my brakes, and they had overheated. They were smoking a bit as well. I've decided I probably should invest in a big brake kit, but which one should I get?

Relevant Van Details: 1987 Westfalia. 1.5" lift, 16" GoWesty Wheels, Bilstein XHD shocks. I carry a bit of extra weight due to a aux battery setup.

My options appear to be

GoWesty Bigger Brake kit and Hub Conversion for $865

Burley Motorsports kits which range from about $950 to $1,050

Smallcar Performance kit for $950 and looks to be the same as Burley

Other?

I may also overhaul the back with the Gowesty kit for $295 or another brand, but this is about front brakes!

What is everyone's experience and advice?

Zeitgeist 13 Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:10 pm

Roll your own. Don't send them your hard earned cash, and definitely not SCP. Lots of options out there.

RoryGirl Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:18 pm

Epytec kit with car-part.com (or wherever) Boxster S calipers and off the shelf Mercedes S-Class discs seems nice...they have other options

https://epytec.de/en/brake-system/adapters/1101/br...ake-system

0cean Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:28 pm

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: Roll your own. Don't send them your hard earned cash, and definitely not SCP. Lots of options out there.

Shouldn’t forget the Vanagon venders keep the community going. They depend on us and we depend on them.

Igeo Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:05 am

I went with the small car kit. My experience is that the general stopping power is similar, but without the fade on the back side of Tioga.

MarkWard Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:28 am

Igeo wrote:

I went with the small car kit. My experience is that the general stopping power is similar, but without the fade on the back side of Tioga.

Looks like a decent install. The hubs appear to have been machined. Could you elaborate on that? Also I can see some bolt nuts. Did these require modifying the upright caliper bolt holes?

To the poll, I’d choose a caliper I could purchase pads and rotors from any parts house vs having to go back to the original vendor if possible.

dobryan Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:46 am

My vote is Burley. I have his on my '87. He was great when I had a question due to my stupidity...

vwhammer Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:37 am

RoryGirl wrote: Epytec kit with car-part.com (or wherever) Boxster S calipers and off the shelf Mercedes S-Class discs seems nice...they have other options

Has anyone tried this kit?
Had I known this existed I might not have built my own set up.

Franklinstower Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:05 am

vwhammer wrote: RoryGirl wrote: Epytec kit with car-part.com (or wherever) Boxster S calipers and off the shelf Mercedes S-Class discs seems nice...they have other options

Good luck getting this in the US, they won't ship to the US or Canada last I checked. options seem to be, know someone in Germany or try your luck at freight forwarding third party.

bobbyblack Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:10 am

Wowza, Epytec States side distributor? Me Like!

hdenter Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:14 am

There is always the jag set up...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=459573

Hans

vwhammer Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:17 am

Franklinstower wrote:
Good luck getting this in the US, they won't ship to the US or Canada last I checked. options seem to be, know someone in Germany or try your luck at freight forwarding third party.

Hmm I do have friends in both Leipzig and Frankfurt.

I should probably see how my brake set up works first.

I do like the idea of the Boxster calipers.
Whats weird is I was just looking at Boxster calipers yesterday for an Audi TT brake upgrade and found a killer deal on a pair.

Igeo Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:51 am

MarkWard wrote: Igeo wrote:

Looks like a decent install. The hubs appear to have been machined. Could you elaborate on that? Also I can see some bolt nuts. Did these require modifying the upright caliper bolt holes?

To the poll, I’d choose a caliper I could purchase pads and rotors from any parts house vs having to go back to the original vendor if possible.

Mark- This is the hub provided by Small Car. No modifications were needed. Kit is bolt on.

dgbeatty Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:56 am

All of the chooses work well. IMHO ventilated disc (i use EBC slotted and dimpled) are mandatory as are quality ceramic pads (EBC Reds are my choice). I bought my calipers from Burley a decade ago. Whoever you choose be absolutely certain of the origin of the hubs as some are repurposed. A last note: if the disc has 10 holes for the studs it has been repurposed.

Steve M. Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:50 am

=D>
https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/4-disc-breaks

Ships to the US.

I believe he uses the Epytec adapters in his kits if you've a hankering for the 312mm disc. He also has an 288mm kit.

danfromsyr Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:40 pm

you can buy brand new discs with 10 holes in them for stock Audis from the 90s'
Audi did this to minimize weight and heat transfer to the hub.
dgbeatty wrote: All of the chooses work well. IMHO ventilated disc (i use EBC slotted and dimpled) are mandatory as are quality ceramic pads (EBC Reds are my choice). I bought my calipers from Burley a decade ago. Whoever you choose be absolutely certain of the origin of the hubs as some are repurposed. A last note: if the disc has 10 holes for the studs it has been repurposed.

Gilmore55 Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:38 pm

I'm running the SCP setup & am very pleased. I converted the front to studs instead of bolts-would anyone know what MB steel rim fits in the spare clamshell, and over the Big Brake kit so I don't have to carry xtra hardware?
Tks-

Jake de Villiers Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Which SmallCar brakes, G57 or G60?

I have a 15 x 6.5 Mercedes steelie for my spare with a 195/70R15 (I think!) tire on it that fits in the clamshell and over my G57 brake calipers.

si2t3m Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:12 am

Franklinstower wrote: vwhammer wrote: RoryGirl wrote: Epytec kit with car-part.com (or wherever) Boxster S calipers and off the shelf Mercedes S-Class discs seems nice...they have other options

Well I guess they do ship on this side of the pond. ;) Been looking at different options, picked up a set of 4 Boxster S calipers, Epytec brackets for the front, turned down discs from a 2wd and will be going with the Epytec kit for Boxster rear calipers and added VW caliper for the handbrake.

wesitarz Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:59 am

Van Cafe (old) G-57 kit same as Burleys I think. Added brass bushing stiffener kit.