TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Engine blowing blue smoke
Chas223 Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:57 am

Our VW Thing has not seen a lot of miles placed on her in the last 30 years (it only has 79,000 on it right now). It has been kept running, through the years, it starts fairly easily. However over the past 5-7 years I have noticed her blowing a little blue smoke out of the tail pipes at times. So this summer I decided to get her out again and start driving it more.

Took her out for a family run to get ice cream (maybe 5-10 miles total). But when we arrive back home I noticed she was running EXTREMELY HOT. Near as I can tell there are no obstructions to get air into the engine compartment, ALL of the stock tin is in place around the engine and none of it is chrome. Car is completely stock and in EXCELLENT condition for an unrestored THING.

So I parked her and decide to start going through all of the obvious stuff.

A week later, check the oil, it looked at clean and was at the normal levels, I set the valves, checked all of the spark plugs. took out the 009 Distributor and put back in the 205 Distributor the car came with. Then replaced the points with a pertronix igniter, replaced ALL the spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, had the 34 PICT carb rebuilt by Tim at VolksBlitz.

Restarted her and now all kinds of Blue smoke comes out of both tailpipes. So bad now it is embarrassing. Its no longer a little its a lot!

The blue smoke happens at idle, and when revv'd up.

I rebuilt the engine myself back in 1979 or 1980. Still running the stock AM case and stock configuration(stock air cleaner, other than it has larger 88mm pistons (not slip ins), stock crank, cam, heads, and etc. Engine might have 30,000 miles on it.

Oil has been changed consistently once a year, since the car gets no miles put on it.

Before I break the engine down...

Do you think its rings or the valve guides causing all of this blue smoke?[url][/url]

Wildthings Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:12 pm

Sure your engine cooling fan isn't full of mouse debris or rags? Reach around the shroud and stick you hand into the fan and see if there is anything odd going on.

Maybe the heads have a pile of acorns or something laying on them which is preventing cooling air flow.

Do check that your thermostat flaps move freely and that the spring returns them to the correct position to get maximum cooling.

Chas223 Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:04 pm

Good Ideas. I will check on those tomorrow.

andk5591 Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:21 pm

Do a leakdown test. It will tell you whats going on. And how are you determining its running hot? Di you measure oil temp or anything? As goofy as it sounds, I use a digital meat thermometer that you use for a grill with a probe long enough to get into the oil through the dipstick port.

Wildthings Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:53 pm

Since the engine sits a lot, I would certain try something like Marvel Mystery Oil or Sea Foam added to the crankcase and the fuel tank as the amounts recommended on the container.

Make sure your breather hose is open and not collapsed or coming apart inside.

andk5591 Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:43 pm

If the breather was obstructed, I would expect to see oil blowing out the crank pulley area though.