TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Baja bug headlight install question?
Loganwolf Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:32 pm

Ok so I just recently bought a 76 baja bug that has the wide eye kit on it and I want to install headlights in the fenders but it looks like someone filled the buckets with something. I know I will need the empi plastic buckets but can someone tell me if the fender buckets are filled or are they supposed to be that way.

Matt Wilson Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Tough to tell from the one photo. Often those one-piece noses don't have headlight buckets and the light openings are flat like in your photo. It's possible, someone either damaged or cut out the holes in the past and then repaired or filled them back in later.

Loganwolf Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:38 pm

Are these better pictures?

dustymojave Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:18 pm

Matt is right that most Baja fenders come from the factory with the headlight holes not yet cut out. That allows the user to cut the holes to fit which ever headlight is desired or even leave them closed off. You COULD leave those holes and put DOT legal headlights on the bumper where the inexpensive offroad lights are. I'm not too fond of the EMPI plastic headlight assemblies. I prefer the chrome buggy lights mounted to tabs on the bumper bars coming from the beam.

Loganwolf Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:35 pm

I ordered some metal buckets that are for a first gen mini. They weren't much more than the plastic ones from empi. Only downside is they are coming from Britain so I will add pictures when I get them.