TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Low back seats into 69
B52Gunner Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:37 am

Considering swapping the seats in my 69 to low back seats. Would be interested in the pitfalls from a swap standpoint...are they just plug and play, or are any mods to the seat rails required? Thanks.

vw_hank Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:11 am

No mods required 8) plug and play. any bug seat 1970 and older well slide right in..

andk5591 Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:14 am

Have low backs in the maroon VW Woodie and it's built from a 69 vert. This is a very common thing to do. Only issues are 71-72 (rails are wider) and 73 up uses pedestal mount. I do NOT know any particulars on pre-60 seats though.

If you do a search, certain year high backs can be easily modified to be low backs.

wcfvw69 Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:18 am

andk5591 wrote:

If you do a search, certain year high backs can be easily modified to be low backs.

My 69 bug seats were torn down. As stated above, the seat back frame has an extension for the headrest that comes off in minutes. You then basically have a late 67 seat back.

vw_hank Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:40 am

I have low backs in my 72 super,, very EZ mod 8) like andk5591 posted stay away from 71-72 super and all 73 and up and you well be good :wink: you could mod your seats if the frames and springs are in good shape

neil68 Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:26 pm

B52Gunner wrote: Considering swapping the seats in my 69 to low back seats. Would be interested in the pitfalls from a swap standpoint...are they just plug and play, or are any mods to the seat rails required? Thanks.

You can simply swap the top (backrest), if you like. Remove the 10 mm acorn nut on each side of the pivot arms and swap the backrest.

iadubber Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:41 pm

I removed my head rest and upholsters with 67 covers.

RWilliamsga Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:59 pm

I have a friend who cuts down the high backs and puts low back covers on. I think he told me he has to weld on the tubes on the seat backs .I have not done it but he says it easy.

ashman40 Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:19 pm

RWilliamsga wrote: I have a friend who cuts down the high backs and puts low back covers on. I think he told me he has to weld on the tubes on the seat backs .I have not done it but he says it easy.
It's been a while but I believe the JBugs Interior DVD video walks you thru cutting down a high back seat and covering it with a new low back seat cover resulting in a low back seat that fits perfectly because the base is still the same. If your high back seats are rebuildable you might consider getting your hands on the DVD. Call JBugs to make sure the DVD hasn't changed.
https://www.jbugs.com/product/DVD-INTERIOR.html

B52Gunner Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:26 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

pfrancescutti Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:45 am

Old-ish thread, I know but i have a related question didn't think a new thread was necessary.

After searching and reading several threads, it's clear that the conventional wisdom is to use '67 seat-covers after cutting down a '71 seat back. Can someone fill me in on what the restriction is to using a '65 set of covers? Is it fundamentally different in size and shape or is it just something simple like a slot for the back release lever?

The reason I ask is the upholstery options out there for '65 are so much nicer than for the '67 (specifically from wolfsburgwest.com)

Any wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks
Paul

iadubber Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:49 am

pfrancescutti wrote: Old-ish thread, I know but i have a related question didn't think a new thread was necessary.

After searching and reading several threads, it's clear that the conventional wisdom is to use '67 seat-covers after cutting down a '71 seat back. Can someone fill me in on what the restriction is to using a '65 set of covers? Is it fundamentally different in size and shape or is it just something simple like a slot for the back release lever?

The reason I ask is the upholstery options out there for '65 are so much nicer than for the '67 (specifically from wolfsburgwest.com)

Any wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks
Paul

The 67 covers have the slot for the seat back lever.

Matt Wilson Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:21 am

I similarly did the mod where you cut off the headrest portion of the 69 seat. TMI sells 'conversion' upholstery to make it all work.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5d5UZVBh4S/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The annoying part with the 69 seat was the lean-back mechanism bits and pieces. They don't sell them in the aftermarket so you may have to go to parts recyclers. I ended up trying to buy a matched pair of low back seats, and then all of a sudden I had 6 front seat frames - and I realized after researching, that I could just modify the ones I already have.

volksworld Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:20 pm

the earlier seats were more of a tombstone shape while the 67's were more squared off in the corners...honestly dont know if the difference was just the covers and padding or if the frame was shaped differently too