TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Baja +3 rear shocks
porkchop-rob Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:21 am

Hello HBB. I just purchased a 69 model Baja project. I am currently doing my research and trying to make a plan for this build.

My hope is to build a reliable and comfortable Baja that I can cruise in any weather. I would love to use a wide beam and a +3 kit for the rear (mid travel?).

My first real question is...

On the +3 setups, the rear shock will extend through the body and attach to the roll cage...is there any way to seal that opening/box off that area so that the car can remain weather tight?

I’ve searched...but not been able to find anything on this subject.

joe cool Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:32 am

I have this same issue to deal with on my ghia. Driving in the rain, those holes become water cannons shooting into the cab.
I have heard of people using pieces of the arms/legs of a wetsuit to make boots for the shocks. I am thinking I could use “rubber roof jacks” (the metal and rubber boots that seal around vent pipes on a roof) to do the same job without cutting up my kid’s wetsuit. But I haven’t done either yet.

TDCTDI Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:45 am

what I've seen made is just like a shift boot. A rubber or leather boot that attaches to the shock body & that then has a flange bolted around the hole in the body.

Mikedrevguy Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:54 pm

In similar boat.
I’m looking at using this (something like it)
[url] https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cofair-6-in-White-Quic..._wcB[/url]

At least for preliminary sealing.
I’ve mounted the remotes inside, so this could prove challenging, but . .. . .we’ll see.

porkchop-rob Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:29 am

TDCTDI wrote: what I've seen made is just like a shift boot. A rubber or leather boot that attaches to the shock body & that then has a flange bolted around the hole in the body.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Wish i could find an example of one installed.

cbeck Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:13 pm

All girls garage did one, might find it on youtube.

dirtkeeper Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:36 am

The wet suit arm idea is probably the best idea or a good piece of leather.

Don’t use the rubber piece off a roof jack, those fail on roofs regularly and I don’t think would last long.

And don’t use that building wrap mentioned above. That material will fail unless it is completely sandwiched by other solid materials.