TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: has anyone done Dual 32/36 progressives?? Page: 1, 2  Next
sharkskinman Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:20 pm

I have two of them I'm wondering if someone has a setup of them dual on a T1 upright

Lo Cash John Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:33 pm

Back when CB Performance was known as Claude's Buggies, they sold a dual progressive kit. I think those were slightly smaller carbs though. Anyway, that stuff pops up in the classifieds every now and then.

Search the gallery and you may find pics.

Erik G Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:13 pm

interesting, I had thought about using dual 38/38 "outlaw" DGES but never had the motor to support it. I figured the linkage would be an absolute pain

vwracerdave Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:10 pm

Waste of time. As pointed out CB made a dual progressive kit many years ago and they didn't work out very well. There just isn't any advantage over running dual IDF's.

BFB Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:04 pm

i asked about the same thing 6 months ago, got a couple responses about how it sucked and then mod closed the thread so no one else could reply. but before he closed it he posted an almost irrelevant link to another post a guy had who was building a dual progressive set up but it was way old and either he never finished the build or just didnt post results.
so having said that dont expect much OP, you'll most likely hear how bad the set up sucked from people who never ran it.

build it and let us know how it works!

oprn Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:28 pm

Why not give it a go?

There are two things that spring to mind that it could solve. First off is it could solve the issue of poor vacuum signal for the stock vacuum pot on the distributor. The second is that it could give a much more linear throttle response than conventional dual Webers do.

It may not give you quite as much high end HP as conventional dual Webers but not everyone drives flat out 100% of the time.

earthquake Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:41 am

What about duel Bugsprays?

eQ

Alstrup Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:03 am

Hello.
The dual progressive set up can work well,,,,,, IF THEY ARE PROPERLY TUNED, and IF THEY ARE 100% IN SYNC! The latter is a larger problem than it sounds to be, because most linkage systems are not 100% equal all the way through the swipe. That means that especially in the area where you begin to pull from the second barrel you soon run into the fact that the engine will pull on one side but not the other.
Rewaco did some trikes with that set up years ago, and they were fine as long as they were new. As soon as the engines got a few miles under their belt and the linkage was broken in, and the carbs maybe needed just a little bit of tune up the problems began. I don´t know how many of these (awfull) trikes are in this country and northern Germany, but I have personally converted 5 of these to dual 36 IDF´s or Kadrons instead.

Bottom line is, the dual progressive set up is not recommendable.

oprn Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:31 am

earthquake wrote: What about duel Bugsprays?eQ

It's been done. I had a "How to hotrod VWs" book with them on the cover, I don't recall the details though.

H2OSB Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:55 am

Alstrup wrote: Hello.
The dual progressive set up can work well,,,,,, IF THEY ARE PROPERLY TUNED, and IF THEY ARE 100% IN SYNC! The latter is a larger problem than it sounds to be, because most linkage systems are not 100% equal all the way through the swipe. That means that especially in the area where you begin to pull from the second barrel you soon run into the fact that the engine will pull on one side but not the other.
Rewaco did some trikes with that set up years ago, and they were fine as long as they were new. As soon as the engines got a few miles under their belt and the linkage was broken in, and the carbs maybe needed just a little bit of tune up the problems began. I don´t know how many of these (awfull) trikes are in this country and northern Germany, but I have personally converted 5 of these to dual 36 IDF´s or Kadrons instead.

Bottom line is, the dual progressive set up is not recommendable.

What about a cable linkage? They're pretty easy to sync.

H2OSB

sled Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:57 am

oprn wrote: earthquake wrote: What about duel Bugsprays?eQ

It's been done. I had a "How to hotrod VWs" book with them on the cover, I don't recall the details though.

is this the cover you are referring to? If so, they are Weber DCN carbs...completely different and superior animal.

oprn Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:54 pm

Right! That is the book and I recalled it wrong but I'm sure there was mention of it and pictures too. But maybe it was a different book.

modok Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:00 pm

The manifold volume is not large enough to benefit from a progressive carburetor.
As far as the sizing and orientation of the carburetor is reasonable.
Cb made a kit.
Almost noboy running them, although the question gets asked about twice per year. Always the same answer, nothing new this year, try next year :P

oprn Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:22 pm

modok wrote: The manifold volume is not large enough to benefit from a progressive carburetor.
Cb made a kit.
Almost noboy running them, although the question gets asked about twice per year. Always the same answer, nothing new this year, try next year :P
It seems very few fellows have the patience/know how to tune a single progressive properly, can't imagine many want to tackle a pair! That could turn into a career but the results would be interesting.

modok Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:48 pm

oprn wrote: modok wrote: The manifold volume is not large enough to benefit from a progressive carburetor.
Cb made a kit.
It seems very few fellows have the patience/know how to tune a single progressive properly, can't imagine many want to tackle a pair! That could turn into a career but the results would be interesting.
by properly you mean on a pinto. :P

I have almost never seen one mounted "properly" on a vw.
At best it's half assed, aka, better than junk.
Glass is half full, but also half empty. I've got plenty of patience, but I can't perform miracles.

oprn Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:38 pm

It only took me two years to get the solex/zenith that came on my Rabbit it work properly and it did work pretty well but by then the throttle shaft bushings were getting sloppy and the idle sent south.

That said progressives were the only way to go on American iron for many decades so they do work.

modok Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:38 pm

when installed correctly, on a pinto :wink:
You know the reason they have so many different carburetors.....they aren't one size fits all.

vwracerdave Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:58 pm

oprn wrote: That said progressives were the only way to go on American iron for many decades so they do work.

Yes they work well on a water cooled inline 4. My brother has a Weber 32/36 on his Datsun pick up and it runs great.

They do not belong on a VW. The end castings can not flow enough to ever use the potential of the carb.

oprn Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:57 pm

vwracerdave wrote: oprn wrote: That said progressives were the only way to go on American iron for many decades so they do work.

Yes they work well on a water cooled inline 4. My brother has a Weber 32/36 on his Datsun pick up and it runs great.

They do not belong on a VW. The end castings can not flow enough to ever use the potential of the carb.
I will have to think about that... work on an inline 4 but not an opposed 4... hmmm...

They all fire one cylinder at a time... charge changing direction? Nope, they both do that. Displacement? Rabbit was 1600 just like the Beetle...

Is it the size of the plenum on the inline?

modok Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Float bowl forward,
Throttle blade opens in a direction so it "points" towards downstream as it's opening.

32/36 DGEV is primarily for longitudinal straight four

38 DGAS is for longitudinal v6

There is a different model of weber made for transverse straight fours. It has the float bowl theother way. Last time we discussed this i added a link to one for sale. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I'm as INTERESTED as anybody, but.....don't have the time and motivation to r&d every possibility.
If a guy tries every kind of progressive carburtetor on every kind of manifold for it, will some work better than others?......OH YES, but, evidently nobody is INTERESTED in doing that.
Adopt a carburetor! if you don't, maybe nobody will.