TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Double-Double Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:57 pm

Started painting some of the moving suspension pieces with the Steel-It black paint. It goes on very very fast. It really squirts out of the can a lot more than most of the paint that I am used to so that took a little bit of a learning curve to get right. It goes on very shiny black but inns up drying a semi gloss black so that will look very good with the raptor liner paint that I will be painting the rest of the chassis in. Anything that can move will be painted with the Steel-It and anything that is nomove-in will be painted with raptor liner. I am excited to finally get some cleanup done on pieces after this long of a time.

Double-Double Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:39 pm

Got a majority of the rear end tore down today. Had to cut a hex socket down to fit the 17mm axle bolt. Also did a bonehead move and disconnected the emergency brakes before I took the rear drums off so it was being difficult to take the cv axles off. I ended up using a ratchet strap around the drum as a friction pad and would do a couple bolts at a time and loosen it up and rotate and then two more. Other than that it mostly went smoothly other than the tool I was provided I believe was for a swing axle because I could not get it to fit on my IRS and reach the spring plates at the same time. Oh well. I ended up loosening the spring plate bushing cover plate and hitting the spring plate with a dead blow hammer until it came off the spring perch and then took it the remainder of the way off.

I am assuming you have to take the emergency brake cables off by the e-brake lever first and pull it all the way out the tube? Because I can’t figure out how to get the actual cable out of the backing plate so far, but I had to quit to run errands before I could really get into it today.

mkparker Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:49 am

Looking good! How are you liking the Steel-It? Looks like it goes on well.

Double-Double Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:08 pm

mkparker wrote: Looking good! How are you liking the Steel-It? Looks like it goes on well.

I like it a lot. Kinda goes on fast compared to rustoleum or krylon but it lays down smooth. Stinks real bad though. I would definitely recommend a respirator since it has the stainless steel particles in it. I thought I would do a quick coat and run back inside. It gave me the worst migraine so it’s very potent stuff.

I haven’t had a chance to test it’s durability but if it’s as good as the silver I have no worries about that.

Dark Earth Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:07 pm

Double-Double wrote:
I am assuming you have to take the emergency brake cables off by the e-brake lever first and pull it all the way out the tube? Because I can’t figure out how to get the actual cable out of the backing plate so far, but I had to quit to run errands before I could really get into it today.

You need to take off the little clip that holds the cable to the backing plate. Then you can twist that clip out of the backing plate. It's kinda tricky, but it will come out.

Double-Double Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Dark Earth wrote: Double-Double wrote:

You need to take off the little clip that holds the cable to the backing plate. Then you can twist that clip out of the backing plate. It's kinda tricky, but it will come out.

Cool! I will try that when I get back from the vets office. Thanks for the help!

Dark Earth Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:05 pm

Double-Double wrote: Dark Earth wrote: Double-Double wrote:

Cool! I will try that when I get back from the vets office. Thanks for the help!

No sweat. If I remember correctly, I took the backing plate off the trailing arm to make it easier to get the clip out.

dustymojave Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:23 pm

Dark Earth wrote: Double-Double wrote: Dark Earth wrote: Double-Double wrote:

No sweat. If I remember correctly, I took the backing plate off the trailing arm to make it easier to get the clip out.

I've removed and installed the parking brake cables on swing axle and IRS a great many times. Taking the clip on the end of the cable out of the backing plate and re-installing it in the backing plate can definitely seem to be a sort of a Chinese puzzle. But it can actually be done easily, once you get the hang of it. I find it easier to do with the backing plate still on the hub. But on or off is not a big deal.

Double-Double Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:38 pm

For those asking about the Steel-It, here is what it goes on looking like (the brake drums) and what it looks like dried. I thought it was gonna be semi-gloss but it definitely ended up being more of a matte black which is fine with me. I think it will look pretty good when it’s all done and should be easy to touch up if the need should ever arise.

Double-Double Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:40 pm

dustymojave wrote: Dark Earth wrote: Double-Double wrote: Dark Earth wrote: Double-Double wrote:

I've removed and installed the parking brake cables on swing axle and IRS a great many times. Taking the clip on the end of the cable out of the backing plate and re-installing it in the backing plate can definitely seem to be a sort of a Chinese puzzle. But it can actually be done easily, once you get the hang of it. I find it easier to do with the backing plate still on the hub. But on or off is not a big deal.

I didn’t see the clip because my car was dealer under coated and it looks like they put seam sealer over the clip so I will have to chip that away to get to it. Thank you everyone for the help in figuring it out. I have new cables for everything so I can take a good look at this one before I reinstall everything with new parts.

dustymojave Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:21 am

That clip is held to the backing plate with an 8mm bolt. (13mm hex head)

Double-Double Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:05 pm

Didn’t get much done today other than some more part painting, but I did manage to get my tires mounted on my rims!

Double-Double Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Got some work done today on the bug. Got the drivers side suspension finished tore down, and transmission out. Thanks to everyone for the tips to remove the emergency brake clips, I got those off after digging them out of the undercoat.

I got my new wheels and tires home and ordered the Wolfsburg crest chrome hubcaps to finish them off. I think that will look pretty nice!

Still trying to figure out exactly what color to paint the car and I am really trying to figure out if it is worth rebuilding my transmission right now or trying it and saving my money for down the road. I only drove the car about fifty miles before I parked it and started taking it apart and I didn’t notice anything weird while driving it, but the paranoid part of me says just get it done while it’s out so everything is fresh and ready to go.

dustymojave Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:26 pm

Are you planning on reinforcing the rear arms?

Double-Double Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:25 pm

dustymojave wrote: Are you planning on reinforcing the rear arms?

Richard, I’d like to but I am still trying to find the right kit. I want to retain my stock shock mounts as I am not running a roll cage right now, so I have to do some more research on that aspect of the build. I also need to get a trans strap kit as well before I start putting anything back together.

I spent the day today cleaning up the transmission and getting most of the 50+ years of road grime and grease off it with a wire brush. It’s clean enough now I can use degreaser and get it really clean at the car wash with hot water. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do with the trans as far as if I should get a super-diff and what size ring and pinion for my tire size (215/75R15).

Also my Wolfsburg chrome hubcaps came in and they are just too cool looking in my opinion.

Other than that got the master cylinder cleaned up and painted to prevent rusting.

dustymojave Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:30 pm

Look for tubular trailing arm beef-up kits. Kaddieshack used to offer them for use with stock shock mounts.

I'm not finding any at Kaddieshack or with a real quick search. Here is what they look like.

This one has shock mounts on the top and the tops mount to the cage inside. But it has some cool design features. From toph900

These following are from joemama. This is actually more what will serve your project with stock shock mounts and what Kaddieshack was selling a while back.

I'm not sure where Kaddieshack was getting them or if anyone is making them these days. Maybe you can find someone to fabricate them for you.

Double-Double Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:42 pm

I tried to get the nectar labs kit but apparently they are out of business so I will keep looking for the tube style. Thanks for the pics, now I know what I should be looking for.

dustymojave Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:13 pm

8)

Double-Double Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:20 pm

If anyone does have a lead on the tube style reinforcement kits please feel free to send me a PM or share a link. I am having a hard time finding anything right now including on the classifieds. I will try calling Kaddie Shack on Monday if they have any idea who made them.

NAZglen Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:28 am

Hey DD
i have been looking for these also. Here are two links on Chirco's website. Upper and lowers.

https://www.chircoestore.com/product/baja-bug-upper-front-axle-tube-beam-supports/

https://www.chircoestore.com/product/vw-baja-bug-lower-front-tube-beam-supports/