TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Eurovan Rocker Switch source?
1961tbird Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:06 pm

I am looking to install a rocker switch for my radio in order to switch between the starter battery and the shore battery and would like to mount it in the dash within one of the pre-existing "blanks".

Anyone have a source for this size? It's roughly 3/4" x 1 1/2"

Joshwa Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:38 pm

I haven't found a dimensional correct switch to fit the opening. Not to say there isn't anything out there. I've opted to bore out an opening in one of the blanks, to fit in an easily found switch of choice.

1961tbird Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:26 am

If I cannot find a source, yes, you're right, that would be an option I thought of.

rcowan Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:42 pm

They used some additional switches in that panel for uses we didn't have here in the US. You may be able to find a switch that would work for your use on UK Ebay or something? For instance, I have a taxi switch for turning the taxi light on/off. There are others..... maybe something to look into.

Otherwise, Josh's suggestion is a good option.

rcowan Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:42 pm

They used some additional switches in that panel for uses we didn't have here in the US. You may be able to find a switch that would work for your use on UK Ebay or something? For instance, I have a taxi switch for turning the taxi light on/off. There are others..... maybe something to look into.

Otherwise, Josh's suggestion is a good option.

Zeitgeist 13 Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:38 pm

I believe that those same switch types were used on B3 Passats and Corrados, so there may be lots of options out there.

1961tbird Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:26 am

Great ideas! Let me check and I'll report back for future reference for others.

mstroob Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:24 pm

If you connect your radio to the coach battery side of the isolation solenoid, it would seem to accomplish the same as you are looking to do with a separate switch. Here is my logic (which is hopefully correct)When the car is running, the solenoid is engaged and the coach side of the solenoid is from the same voltage (the alternator) as the car battery side less any voltage drop across the solenoid. When the key is off, the solenoid deactivates and the voltage at the coach battery is supplied by the coach battery only. Something to consider but there maybe something I am missing as far as what you want to do.

Stroob

1961tbird Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:26 am

Interesting idea. Seems plausible but (like you), maybe I'm overlooking something.

Zeitgeist 13 Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:58 am

Except that the stereo would always be connected to the house battery, so it would not switch off with the ignition; which means that when you're not camping or actually using the house battery, you could unintentionally leave the stereo on and drain the battery. Our vans are daily drivers, so the toggle allows us to use the starting battery as stereo source for the vast majority of daily use, but switch over to the house in those situations when the stereo would be used with the engine off.

1961tbird Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:50 am

Yes, I remember being a kid and going into my dad's 64 Pontiac and listening to the radio in the evenings as that model the radio circuit was always "hot". Got into big trouble when I left it on by mistake and my dad could not start it the next day to go to work!

subdewd Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:06 pm

probably still had vacuum tubes

volkybus Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:46 pm

u could repurpose another switch...just don t forget to relabel it... _