TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sunday Extraction - 1960 SWR Single Cab
mwallace Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:04 am

This past Sunday a couple friends and I pulled a 1960 SWR Single Cab out of the bush, where it's been sitting for the last 50 years. It had originally been owned by VW Canada and used as a parts delivery truck, shuffling parts to the dealerships. My friends grandparents purchased the truck and were given the blue box, which looks to be an old ammunition box. They were told the boxes were used to house the parts in in the back of the red truck. From what we were told then they then used the truck for a couple of years until the motor blew up, after that they hauled it back to the corner of their property and left it.

It's too bad the truck wasn't saved years ago, but it's now sitting at my friends shop waiting for us to go through it and see what's inside.

SamboSamba22 Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:29 am

Save Them All!
One of the best experiences and funnest parts of owning VWs is extracting these forgotten guys from the earth.
Good luck on the journey getting the truck back on the road.
Sam

62DoKaGuy Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:30 am

That truck looks angry! And it must've been a coooollld extraction to boot. I really like that VW emblem design on the blue box, though. Very cool.

How far gone is the framework underneath?

mwallace Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:41 am

I thought she looks pretty happy! It wasnt too bad, weather wise. Its colder now and weve since had close to 7 of snow fall. So its one less winter in the bush. The frame is rotten.

velvetgreen Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:13 pm

Great find- too bad it wasn't saved sooner but if you read some of the thread's on what is being brought back to life in the UK- the rust on yours may not be terminal

62DoKaGuy Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:41 pm

velvetgreen wrote: Great find- too bad it wasn't saved sooner but if you read some of the thread's on what is being brought back to life in the UK- the rust on yours may not be terminal

...and you might find solidarity and guidance. Fear not, and keep us posted.

Riff Raff Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:53 pm

Boys, she's fallen on some hard times!

Good luck with that, a SWR bullet SC is a respectable find, and some crazy bastard will certainly resurrect it

velvetgreen Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:12 am

for inspiration https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=710324

SamboSamba22 Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:26 am

The Brits are bringing back the dead over there!
There are enough resources to bring basically any bus back. Its a dangerous convenience.

mwallace Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:58 pm

Thanks everyone! Shes been tucked away for the winter, but come spring, well start on the frame and floor work. Shell definitely run again, but theres no rush. Ive still got to get my 68 bay running. Ill keep everyone posted as things progress though. The day after we pulled her out of the bush we got 6+ of snow, so Im glad we did what we did. Next week theyre calling for a couple warning days, so Ill get inside and pull out the extra bits and pieces. Theres a beetle rear seat, and looks like a couple of these goodies as well. While driving back we stopped to pull over and re tighten the straps and the church key was on the deck of the trailer, it must have been inside and fallen through the hole in the floor. Who knows what else could be in there.

hopkin Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:02 pm

mwallace wrote: Thanks everyone! Shes been tucked away for the winter, but come spring, ....

Nice find, I'm in Ottawa as well, I'd love to have a look your find next spring. Drop me a PM.