TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ford's Electric "Mustang" Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
67 Florida Deluxe Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:28 pm

While electric cars are becoming the wave of the future, I can't figure out WHY Ford would defile the name of the most iconic car (arguably) that FOMOCO ever produced by labeling their new electric SUV a "Mustang"?? Since its debut in 1964 1/2, it has been remarkably successful. Also, the Mustang has always been a 2-door. If we can gloss over the mid-to-late 1970s, it's always been a desirable SPORTS car. Since Ford could never figure out where a Thunderbird fit into its line-up (sports car? luxury car? 2-door? 4-door?), why not at least call it a "Thunderbird" instead of the 180-degree deviation off the linear track of the Mustang?

Better yet, why not come up with a NEW name since it's a car representing a NEW direction for Ford?? Create a marketing campaign based on the new car and technology rather than pissing off a multitude of Mustang enthusiasts :-k

wheel607 Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:46 pm

67 Florida Deluxe wrote: While electric cars are becoming the wave of the future, I can't figure out WHY Ford would defile the name of the most iconic car (arguably) that FOMOCO ever produced by labeling their new electric SUV a "Mustang"?? Since its debut in 1964 1/2, it has been remarkably successful. Also, the Mustang has always been a 2-door. If we can gloss over the mid-to-late 1970s, it's always been a desirable SPORTS car. Since Ford could never figure out where a Thunderbird fit into its line-up (sports car? luxury car? 2-door? 4-door?), why not at least call it a "Thunderbird" instead of the 180-degree deviation off the linear track of the Mustang?

Better yet, why not come up with a NEW name since it's a car representing a NEW direction for Ford?? Create a marketing campaign based on the new car and technology rather than pissing off a multitude of Mustang enthusiasts :-k

Ford has allied itself with VW and "pissing off a multitude off Mustang enthusiasts" is what they learned from VW. They completely don't care who brung em to the dance. VW has pissed offed everybody that matters, doing crap nobody likes, and taking advantage of the older crowd as they see fit, then telling them basically to get screwed.

windfish Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:52 pm

's really more wagon than SUV, and it borrows a lot from the latest gen style-wise.
https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/2021/

Agreed it's a disappointing use of an iconic name though.
Seems a more logical step for their Fusion line..

Assuming it's replacing the current gen Mustang (?) that's quite the gamble for Ford.
Supposed to ship late next year, will be interesting to see how it does.

finster Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:13 am

looks a lot like a tesla to me

Zundfolge1432 Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:05 am

Yes let’s have about 10 pages of bullshit about evil electric cars then turn political and get locked 😀 dadgum whipper snappers and their newfangled contraptions.

Glenn Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:48 am

Imagine telling people you bought a new Mustang and then the look of disappointment when you show up in that.

I have no problem with electric cars but calling that a Mustang is misleading.

oprn Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:55 am

I think it fits. The Mustang is known in these parts as being 100% useless for winter driving (8 months of the year here) so the addition of E power and the Mustang tag to this new car will solidify in the purchaser's mind that - yes, you will have to park it and drive another car until spring.

I call it honest advertising.

Oh and if Chrysler and Porsche can dupe the public into accepting a 4 door as a sports car why can't Ford?

Q-Dog Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:21 am

It seems to fall in the "crossover" category more than the "SUV" category.

Zundfolge1432 Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:04 am

Glenn wrote: I have no problem with electric cars but calling that a Mustang is misleading.

It makes about as much sense as VW designers building a water cooled car then calling it a beetle. People bought it for years till they didnt :D

Glenn Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:13 am

Zundfolge1432 wrote: Glenn wrote: I have no problem with electric cars but calling that a Mustang is misleading.

It makes about as much sense as VW designers building a water cooled car then calling it a beetle. People bought it for years till they didnt :D
That too.

djkeev Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:37 am

To those of us older folks this is nothing new.
We already watched Ford destroy the Mustang nameplate once already.
They are just following the same path they took many years ago.....

Dave

EverettB Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:39 am

finster wrote: looks a lot like a tesla to me

Yep, already saw this pic

calvinater Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:37 am

Don't all new cars look the same?

Erik G Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:09 am

EverettB wrote: finster wrote: looks a lot like a tesla to me

hahahahaha

need an electric mustang sneaking up on a crowd meme

KTPhil Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:23 am

EverettB wrote: finster wrote: looks a lot like a tesla to me

30 seconds in...

oprn Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:28 am

calvinater wrote: Don't all new cars look the same?
Yup! I think they fired all the stylists and everyone contracts design out to the same company as a cost saving measure. Just change a line or two and the name tags. :roll:

windfish Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:49 am

Read somewhere that it's mostly due to cars being designed by computer with aerodynamics in mind -- and there's an optimal solution that most car makes will follow.   

Here's one article - https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a21272157/aerodynamics-car-science/  
"But most of all, they’re designed for aerodynamic efficiency. When we started asking manufacturers around the country how that works, we realized that it’s not incredible that so many cars look so similar. It’s incredible that cars look different at all." 

Ford is using the massive center tablet, but at least theirs has some physical buttons and a dial.
Touch screens to control everything in a car just seems like a bad idea

67 Florida Deluxe Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:07 pm

windfish wrote:

But on the positive side, the driver has to put their smart phone down to focus on where the controls are on the touch-screen. So having all the creature functions on a touch screen promotes safe driving because being distracted by one's smart phone is no longer an issue :)

Chad1376 Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:54 pm

Simple and stupid logic.
1 - Ford states it will stop producing all cars, except the Mustang.
2 - Ford badges all car-ish vehicles as a Mustang.
:lol:

oprn Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:57 pm

67 Florida Deluxe wrote: windfish wrote:
YES!!

67 Florida Deluxe wrote: But on the positive side, the driver has to put their smart phone down to focus on where the controls are on the touch-screen. So having all the creature functions on a touch screen promotes safe driving because being distracted by one's smart phone is no longer an issue :)
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Getting to know your dash and it's controls without looking at it is what promotes safer driving. It's the "tactile braille" that we depend on to be able to make adjustments and still keep our eyes on the road. Touch screens take our eyes off the road just like cell phones do and just add to the distraction problem! Now you have two screens that drivers are staring at!