TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ford's Electric "Mustang" Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
67 Florida Deluxe Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:14 pm

oprn wrote: 67 Florida Deluxe wrote: But on the positive side, the driver has to put their smart phone down to focus on where the controls are on the touch-screen. So having all the creature functions on a touch screen promotes safe driving because being distracted by one's smart phone is no longer an issue :)
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Getting to know your dash and it's controls without looking at it is what promotes safer driving. It's the "tactile braille" that we depend on to be able to make adjustments and still keep our eyes on the road. Touch screens take our eyes off the road just like cell phones do and just add to the distraction problem! Now you have two screens that drivers are staring at!

Putting one's phone down to focus on an even bigger distraction such as those billboard sized touch screens is 360-degree logic in "reducing distracted driving." I was being ironical in my facetious comment 8)

busdaddy Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:23 pm

oprn wrote: 67 Florida Deluxe wrote: But on the positive side, the driver has to put their smart phone down to focus on where the controls are on the touch-screen. So having all the creature functions on a touch screen promotes safe driving because being distracted by one's smart phone is no longer an issue :)
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Getting to know your dash and it's controls without looking at it is what promotes safer driving. It's the "tactile braille" that we depend on to be able to make adjustments and still keep our eyes on the road. Touch screens take our eyes off the road just like cell phones do and just add to the distraction problem! Now you have two screens that drivers are staring at!
It's a joke son....., geez.., kids these days wouldn't know sarcasm if it jumped up and bit them in the leg :?

oprn Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:27 pm

Ok - gottcha!

My '18 company supplied GMC fuel guzzler has a big screen that warns me about every third start in no less than 50 words that it is distracting me and makes me search for the spot to delete the message! :roll: Stupid stupid stupid!

W1K1 Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:49 am

Quote: Imagine telling people you bought a new Mustang and then the look of disappointment when you show up in that.

I have no problem with electric cars but calling that a Mustang is misleading.

Funny, I had the same experience when a girl we used to hang with in high school, she called us outside to see her new Mustang, and she has a brand new orange mustang 2 with a 4 banger :shock: LOL

Zundfolge1432 Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:03 am

Hmmmmm? Iíve seen 6 cylinder Camaro and my buddy has a 65 SS Chevelle that was original 6 cylinder. Dodge made Challenger 6 cylinder, Plymouth Barracudas with 225 slant 6, etc,etc. model name is meaningless. Other side of coin you could order a four door sedan with 427 and heavy duty cop specs, again meaningless.

scottyrocks Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:41 am

The Mustang II at least looked like a Mustang - more so than the Fox bodied cars, which if they didn't say Mustang on them could have been anything.

This new electric SUV is not a Mustang, regardless of what Ford, or anyone else calls it.

And the reason they are calling it a Mustang is because that's the only Ford car nameplate that means anything to anyone. Fusion? Fiesta? Meh.

crofty Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:46 pm

Mach-MEH

pondoras box Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:45 pm

Not really a stretch to think that Ford would do this, sedans and coupe sales are dying, they are a corporation and history doesn't pay the shareholders dividends. It is how companies work, bad sales = bad dividends = bad share values.

Plus wasn't the Probe supposed to replace the ailing selling Mustang in the 90's? If it wasn't for the retro design that breathed new life into the Mustang Ford would have killed it decades ago, now where did they get that idea to build a retro looking vehicle?

The whole thing of VW and Ford or any other company forgetting where they came from is easy to say when you're not the one standing in front of the board explaining why they didn't get their quarterly dividends. That's how CEO's get replaced.

We guys that were around when VW's were just a quirky subset of the classic car scene forget that people don't think like we do, kids don't even want their driver's license. Most of us here probably don't event own a car newer than 5 years old. We keep our stuff forever, we are not the demographic that any corporation is targeting except maybe long term health care and reverse mortgages. We are curmudgeons and no one cares what we think.

TDCTDI Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:50 pm

The new Mustang, Ford's attempt to top the success of the Edsel.

Zundfolge1432 Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:18 pm

Galaxy, Grenada, Starliner, LTD all good names just waiting to be rediscovered and people will buy into it hook line and sinker. :D Falcon now thereís a winner.

TDCTDI Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:38 pm

Zundfolge1432 wrote: Galaxy, Grenada, Starliner, LTD all good names just waiting to be rediscovered and people will buy into it hook line and sinker. :D Falcon now thereís a winner.

Hey, it worked with "Explorer" & "Ranger".

oprn Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:15 pm

It's just as much a Mustang as the Cayenne is a Porsche or the new Dodge Dart is a real Dart!

NOT!!!

Zundfolge1432 Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:56 pm

oprn wrote: It's just as much a Mustang as the Cayenne is a Porsche or the new Dodge Dart is a real Dart!

NOT!!!

Good point Chevrolet has been using the moniker Suburban since 1930s while Toyota tried to grab the title of most produced car Corolla. Then someone reminded them theyíve redesigned the so called Corolla about 8 times so itís in name only.

hitest Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:17 pm

Right now, on the 8th floor of Ford HQs, a dozen marketing experts are trying to explain themselves to the Ford BofD. Topics include: "What the hell were you thinking?" and "How the hell do we change the email addresses and phone numbers of every exec. in our company?"

The mustang world is tearing a new b-hole in Ford- and they're listening.

In unrelated news, for some reason Ford rejected my suggestion of calling that vessel "Shocker."

oprn Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:41 am

I grew up in a '58 Plymouth Suburban station wagon. My cousin had a '67(or was it '68?) Firebird 250 6 cylinder SOHC 4 speed and it ripped just as good as the base 327!

Zundfolge1432 Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:49 am

Way back around 1993 Ford announced they were contemplating dropping the mustang name entirely because of declining sales and some people went ape shit. Instead they used this as a marketing ploy to build on the 30th anniversary and introduced a new body style featuring styling cues from the original 60s models. Lead times being what they are it takes years to go from concept to production. Could it be they are using the angry old contingency to whip up interest yet again? Would they do that?yes and yes.

Years before Coca Cola did this same switcharoo by discontinuing original formula Coke and releasing new Coke. Again consumers went ape and the company got mega free press when they rereleased the old product to sell alongside the new. Sales went through the roof, they had ticker tape parades, people were moved to tears. Marketing 101 the masses are easily directed 😀

finster Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:19 am

pondoras box - wins old gits bingo with curmudgeon :lol:
they should call it the model T (for tesla)

danfromsyr Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:46 am

ford futura
/nuff said

Chickensoup Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:16 pm

djkeev wrote: To those of us older folks this is nothing new.
We already watched Ford destroy the Mustang nameplate once already.
They are just following the same path they took many years ago.....

Dave

Are you referring to the mustang II?

calvinater Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:25 pm

Boredom zero,