TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Westy Roof Production
34Alp15 Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:35 am

Hi Everybody,

I am writing from Turkey. Almost more than 10 years I am interested in aircooled vw's. Now: I have more than 8 aircooled vehicles. I just start to produce westy roof production with high quality mould. If anybody interested with it I can share my experiences on that.

TomWesty Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:10 am

Nice job!

Angus II Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:35 am

Hello,
A late style pop top on an early bay(hinges wrong way). Who makes a canvas and hold down strips for that bastard? The roof openings holes are different sizes... Maybe I'm missing something...
Yet, the workmanship on the top looks good.

Globespotter Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:43 am

The horizontal lip around them at the bottom is not OEM, and would make using a seal impossible. If you made them without that lip, they would be better IMHO - or is that lip cut off before installing???

34Alp15 Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:44 pm

Angus II wrote: Hello,
A late style pop top on an early bay(hinges wrong way). Who makes a canvas and hold down strips for that bastard? The roof openings holes are different sizes... Maybe I'm missing something...
Yet, the workmanship on the top looks good.

You are right, we can do like this cndition only :) I couldn't say OEM or Original Mould :)

34Alp15 Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:47 pm

Globespotter wrote: The horizontal lip around them at the bottom is not OEM, and would make using a seal impossible. If you made them without that lip, they would be better IMHO - or is that lip cut off before installing???

In this photos, you can see the after demoulding shape, not finished. Trimming the lips and assembling of hinges will be done. I just started :)

Globespotter Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:52 am

34Alp15 wrote: Globespotter wrote: The horizontal lip around them at the bottom is not OEM, and would make using a seal impossible. If you made them without that lip, they would be better IMHO - or is that lip cut off before installing???

In this photos, you can see the after demoulding shape, not finished. Trimming the lips and assembling of hinges will be done. I just started :)

Gotcha. Makes sense.

SamboSamba22 Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:01 pm

Looks like a very solid start to offering a much needed item for Campmobile owners. Kudos to you for beginning this project, I imagine it was not an easy one.

Wasted youth Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:05 pm

Those look really nice! What is the material you are using? Fiberglass, ABS plastic, or something else?

alinghi12 Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:37 pm

Nice dude! You make the molds yourself?? My friend and I are working on making a sandwich mold of the syro poptop. FYI we found quite a few places to source hinges and other pieces. Looks 🔥🔥🔥🔥

34Alp15 Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Wasted youth wrote: Those look really nice! What is the material you are using? Fiberglass, ABS plastic, or something else?

Thank you :) We are using fiberglass.

34Alp15 Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:46 pm

alinghi12 wrote: Nice dude! You make the molds yourself?? My friend and I are working on making a sandwich mold of the syro poptop. FYI we found quite a few places to source hinges and other pieces. Looks 🔥🔥🔥🔥

We can make moulds ourselves. Next point for moulding is monoblock mould for vw T1 and T2

34Alp15 Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:47 pm

We started to produce hinges(4mm thickness) and pushbar.

kingkitesurf Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:13 am

Very nice!
How are you planning to finish the inside... there should be this soft stuff named flock to absorb and hold condens.... Are you planning on selling them?

34Alp15 Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:30 am

kingkitesurf wrote: Very nice!
How are you planning to finish the inside... there should be this soft stuff named flock to absorb and hold condens.... Are you planning on selling them?

There will be a seal between the car body and the product. After all assembling step, I will send many product to Europe.