TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Show me pictures of your Maxtrax! Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
E1 Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:02 pm

You "never been stuckers" need to get out more.

:wink: :lol: :wink:

Vanlife Geek Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:09 pm

E1 wrote: You "never been stuckers" need to get out more.

Or get a Syncro :wink:

Syncro Jael Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:45 pm

I carry these all the time. Sometimes you need at least

Syncro Jael Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:46 pm

I carry these all the time. Sometimes you need at least

Love My Westy Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:33 pm

epbiggs wrote: E1 wrote: You "never been stuckers" need to get out more.

Or get a Syncro :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rfoubi Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:18 am

testing them out in Nevada. Work wonders. Have used them many times. They are great for filling in on top of rocks/logs in a washout or whatever too. I also just keep mine strapped to the crossbars, depending on what else is on top they can move around a bit.

FWIW i have the knock off ones and ive used them 5 or 6 times, often for half an hour with lots of wheelspin, etc and they did melt some of the grip off of them, but no issues with bending/breaking

E1 Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:36 am

Wheelspin means your style needs some work. :shock:

Either air down and/or throttle down and your tranny will thank you.

Clutch might, too, problem being they're all German so you won't comprehend their thoughts.

On your first photo, recommend shoveling more so the van is trying to move forward while FLAT, uphill is really hard on everything including blood pressure. It's waaaay easier to bake a clutch than we might think, or so says a putz I once knew.

But way to get stuck, Envelope Meets Push! 8)

rfoubi Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:17 pm

Haha that first pic i got stuck on purpose to check how the maxtrax work. I went slow, hit the front brakes and spun on purpose to get the back end buried. I agree though a bit of work first with the shovel and dropping the psi often means nothing else is even needed

jimf909 Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:46 pm

rfoubi wrote:

...they did melt some of the grip off of them, but no issues with bending/breaking

From the reviews I’ve read or seen the $350 maxtrax melt as well when tires spin (that probably shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone).

For $500 Maxtrax offers an “XTREME” version w/88 replaceable aluminum teeth.
https://maxtraxus.com/products/maxtrax-xtreme-safety-orange/

For folks in the Seattle area Mule Expedition has a good inventory of various colors and styles (I’m recommending the local shop because they’re good people and a good asset for the community).

E1 Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:01 pm

rfoubi wrote: Haha that first pic i got stuck on purpose to check how the maxtrax work. I went slow, hit the front brakes and spun on purpose to get the back end buried. I agree though a bit of work first with the shovel and dropping the psi often means nothing else is even needed
Not quite what I meant, I drop tire pressure only if absolutely having to. I only meant to do that before spinning the tires like Don Garlits. :wink:

Where we go it might be days, and/or a ton of paved miles that offroad tires hate, before being able to air up again.

Glad your test worked out, you look stuck all right! :lol:

rfoubi Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:30 am

E1 wrote: rfoubi wrote: Haha that first pic i got stuck on purpose to check how the maxtrax work. I went slow, hit the front brakes and spun on purpose to get the back end buried. I agree though a bit of work first with the shovel and dropping the psi often means nothing else is even needed
Not quite what I meant, I drop tire pressure only if absolutely having to. I only meant to do that before spinning the tires like Don Garlits. :wink:

Where we go it might be days, and/or a ton of paved miles that offroad tires hate, before being able to air up again.

Glad your test worked out, you look stuck all right! :lol:

That;'s why we also carry one of these

E1 Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:43 am

Oh Buddy, we need one of those! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

We have a small one but it's like ten minutes to air up from 20 to 60, per tire. Useless.

Any links?

Happy Stuckage! Our last time was in deep clay in New Mexico, avoid this!

joetiger Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:31 am

E1 wrote: Oh Buddy, we need one of those! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

We have a small one but it's like ten minutes to air up from 20 to 60, per tire. Useless.

Any links?

Viair makes great compressors. This one fits perfectly under the bench:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Viair-400P-Portable-12V...0aEALw_wcB

Vanlife Geek Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:25 pm

joetiger wrote: E1 wrote: Oh Buddy, we need one of those! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Any links?

Viair makes great compressors. This one fits perfectly under the bench:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Viair-400P-Portable-12V...0aEALw_wcB
I agree, Vlair does make great compressors and would have probably been my choice if my budget would have allowed for the nearly $200 the linked one costs. They are a good value compared to ARB at nearly $300, but I believe the red one pictured above is the same one I have and it's the SuperFlow MV-50 and can be had for around $68 on eBay. When I was researching compressors for my van, the MV-50 seemed to be the best of the "affordable" compressors and had great reviews for the price. I've used mine many times and am very happy with it. I think it may also be available under different names, such as Masterflow. If you can afford a better one, great, but I'm thinking this is probably about as cheap as one should go on a compressor. It makes a great combination with MaxTrax/Tred recovery boards to keep us going in sketchy conditions. I imagine that airing down has probably kept me from having to use my Tred's.

E1 Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:28 pm

HEY, Thanks, you guys!

rfoubi Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:50 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Inflator-Portable-Compresso...amp;sr=8-1

Yep its the masterflow. Under $100 bucks. For our relatively small vanagon tires it works well.

E1 Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks!

dhaavers Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:42 am

Masterflow looks like a good rig. May need to bite on that if I come across any Christmas money...$$$ 8) :wink:

OT: Not quite finalized yet, but my "CCeB" tracks (Cheap Chinese eBay) will mount high sidesaddle, via raingutter:

C'mon, Santa! :lol:

- Dave

dhaavers Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:28 am

epbiggs wrote: ...the SuperFlow MV-50 and can be had for around $68 on eBay.

When I was researching compressors for my van, the MV-50 seemed to be the best of the "affordable"
compressors and had great reviews for the price. I've used mine many times and am very happy with it.
I think it may also be available under different names, such as Masterflow...
Indeed...identical model, currently just $50:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152007420849

E1 Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:07 pm

dhaavers wrote: Masterflow looks like a good rig.
Dave, call me... we'd be more than happy to get that for you.

It's the least we owe you, Brother.